Boat Launch on Sangamon River

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by JBla174, Jan 17, 2010.

1. JBla174

JBla174 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Does anyone know where to launch a boat on the Sangamon river in central illinois? Gearing up for the season and looking to see if anyone has any info. I live in the Champaign area so the closer the better, but "have truck and will drive!"

2. fishead69

fishead69 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Riverton , Riverside Park Springfield.

3. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Don't really know anything around Champaign...
    Like already Mentioned, there is one in Riverton and one in Riverside Park..

There is camping at the one in Riverton, though its not all the great and Riverside Park closes at dark.. There is also camping at riverside park, but the boat ramp is in the bottom half and the camp site are up top.. Also, it would be wise to buy yourself a shirt that says "I'm not gay, im just fishing" to keep from getting hit on out there...

4. barnold

barnold Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    There is one at Petersburg. Long and steep but pretty good. You can camp at the state park about 2 miles away. Fishing is ok but the area gets a lot of pressure. Good Luck:handshake:

5. fishead69

fishead69 New Member

State:
    Illinois

yeah - I forgot to mention that...Riverside is full of homos....might take the wooden stakes,garlic and the crucifix too...in case they don't take no for an answer!!!!!!:sick:

6. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    Petersburg is about the most popular for the upper half above Salt Creek and between it and Riverton/Springfield(anyone ever catch the white bass run at the dam at Petersburg?). Chandlerville has a few gravel/dirt ramps but depending on your rig and boat? We've launched jon's at Chandlerville but as far as fiberglass or bassboats? Several of the private camping spots along the Sangamon have ramps. Ive seen people launch on them before that werent campers/owners. Two methods, drive in like you belong/own it and 99% of the time noone will say a thing or be nice and ask permission to launch, there should be someone around most of them after April and thru August anyhow. If noone's around? Up to you. What kind of boat/truck rig you got. Several "private" spots require/you need a 4x4 to launch. Years ago we launched over by Oakford(I think thats the name? its a few northeast miles from Jim Edgar park, Oak something, got a bar, fire dept and elevator). If your wanting to fish and camp along the Sangamon its easier to find sandbars below Petersburg and rarely will you be bothered. Just pick up your trash etc and be courteous. Most of us arent married to our cousin. If you see any trotlines/bankpoles etc steer clear, thats the quickest way to start trouble even if your not touching them just being near spooks some folks. Netting is legal too on the Sangamon so you may encounter those(fun in the prop at 2am in a rainstorm) and they've cut the population way down on the trophy flatheads. At night wear a vest and I recommend a helmet and I aint kidding. Had a 25lber asian ring my bell last year. The asian carp are bad, good bait though, fillet'em off and use'em for cutbait. Biggest asians run 4'-5' and around 50lbs. They'll land on rods and break them. Most dangerous part is running hard on the river and getting hit or leaning over the side to bait or net/land a fish. Good luck, hope I helped a little.

7. catdaddy217

catdaddy217 New Member

State:
    il
    i live in springfield and will be taking my boat out for the first time ,i will probaly be taking off from riverside since its close,can anybody tell me wich direction i should hed for maybe a lil better fishing,weve walked alot and did some good bank fishing,just up to 3lbs any info would help,thanks

8. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    How big a boat you talking.. You gotta be real careful the sangamon gets extremely shallow.. You'll need to pay close attention to water depths...

I aint done much boat fishing from riverside, Wife's uncle always puts in at riverton and heads upriver.

IF you head upriver, you can always float back to the launch if there is a problem :wink:

For more stable fishing conditions, I think you'd be better off to hit Lake Springfield for channels or Lake Sangchris for hawg flatheads ....

9. Catmaster81

Catmaster81 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    IF it is dry (and that's a big IF), and IF you have a small boat and motor, and IF you have a 4 X 4 pickup truck, you can launch off Bridge Street in Monticello. I've done well the few times I've fished the river here. Don't bother if it's wet at all. You will get stuck. Believe me, I've done it. Also, wouldn't recommend any motor bigger than a 15HP. Most of the river here is 3-4 feet deep with 8-10 foot holes. But again, good fishing here for multiple species.

10. Torvaldsberg

Torvaldsberg Member

State:
    Illinois
    Unless you have a jon-boat small enough for you and a buddy to lift, I wouldn't try Chandlerville right now. They have been 'trying' to build a bridge here for the last couple years, so the old boat ramps aren't very usable. Also, thanks to the Army Corps of Engineers, it is either flooded or dry most of the time. The ramp at Oakford is still usable, but finding a path through the sandbars can be an interesting puzzle.

11. wasbackwoodsman

wasbackwoodsman New Member

State:
    Illinois
    We have cabins near the Salt, plenty of water right now(too much). I'd suggest Petersburg right now. I havent been there this year but in years past it was about the best choice. Boys ran up last week and got a pizza there but I didnt ask how the ramp was. If you use your head you can run all over the Sangamon just about anytime. Forget the "mud motors". Buddy had one 3 years ago, sand wore the prop down in little over a month and it wouldnt even plane out after that and he sold the whole rig. I prefer lower water so the yahoo's head to the Illinois or Lake Springfield etc. We rarely go past the Salt anymore as the river is channelized from there to the Illinois and the holes we prefer are few and far between. If your ever near Beardstown dont hesitate to fish where the Sangamon dumps into the Illinois just upstream. The last 2-3 or so miles of the Sangamon can be awesome fishing and we've fished the mouth in years past and did great.