Boat just exploded about 2 mins from my house

Discussion in 'Boat Safety' started by catmanofohio, Jun 24, 2009.

1. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    I live on the Ohio river, and was coming across the old bridge from Ky into Ohio and seen a load of black smoke and went to investigate it and it was a boat out on the river that was on fire, i heard there were 3 ppl on it, only 2 were found. 1 had SEVER burns and was aircared while i was setting there, i also heard that the start of this fire was from a backwards cable while trying to jump start the boat. Ill try to keep an update as i hear/see.

2. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    sparks too close to the gas sounds like to me..hate to hear that:sad2:

3. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Could also be hydrogen from the battery. That's why you always hook up to the dead battery first. Your last connection should always be on the good battery. At least that's what I was taught in auto tech in high school. Depending on the type of boat, it could also have been a fuel leak in the bilge, then any little spark would have done it.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sad story regardless of the cause. Thoughts and Prayers to all family and friends.

5. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    well i watched them pull the trailer out of the river and it looked to be about 40 feet long it was a huge boat, apparently it was first day out of being stored this year, and they had filled it up with gas before they tryed jump starting it.

6. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    goes to show the importance of seasoning and upkeep of equipment, also knowing the equipment ur using. hope er body is safety minded when ur out this year. ie fire extinguishers, radio, emergency beacon, first aid kits.