Boat Just Bought

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by Ulikedew, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    Yippie finally got me a boat.
    Needs some work to it like gauges and lighting.Well guages can wait lighting will be done today and hopefully maiden voyage will be tonight or in The morning after football.My question is there any good links to wiring up boats just so I dont screw something up.Why the guy I bought it from took all the wiring out is beyond me.

2. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Where is the pictures?:roll_eyes:

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Just click on the word boat in the first sentence. LOL!

4. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    Forgot about that aint 100% awake yet

5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Brian,
    Get some proper rod holders and that will make a decent cat boat.
    As for the wiring you are probably better off having none than having a bunch of stuff that doesn't work and trying to sort it out.
    Wiring is easy to do. Th cardinal rules are safety and reliability.
    It's easy to do right with good materials and a few good basic tools.
    It's also easy skimp and do it cheap and wrong.
    Check out the local book store;there is a book specifically about 12 volt boat wiring- not sure the exact title.
    If you plan to keep the boat a long time then you should spend the money and make sure you get marine grade tinned copper wire. Terminals should be tinned copper. Every connection should be crimped, soldered (some will argue that but I've never had one fail) and strain relived with adhesive shrink wrap. Everything should be protected by a fuse or breaker. The power bus and ground bus are your friend, use them wisely.
    You would be wise to make that maiden voyage during daylight. The last think you want is to find there is a problem and be stranded in the dark.
    Don't rush it. Do it once, do it right. I notice in your profile you fish the Ohio river; that's no place for compromise...W

6. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    i htink the old girl will do just fine .... it wont take u long to get her hooked up and ready fer fishin .... sure does look like a nice one. wish i had it ... mind if i borrow it when ur done lolj/k well good luck

7. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Hey Brian,
    Nice looking boat u got there. Just dont make the mistake i did when i first started. make sure you run your lights on one battery separate from your motor. I hooked everything up to the same battery and was later being towed in. Not a good night. But I learned that alot of guys have sometimes two, three or four batteries in the boat. I personally think two is enough but a spare is a good idea.

8. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    Thats the thing holding me back right now just have to buy me one and will give her a break in tomorrow after my sons football game.Bought an achor and plugs and for a temp some battery operated night lites till I can fully dig into the wiring.For 700 can't expect the Titanic.
    Going fishing right now.

Keep the tips coming(Money saving ones are real nice:big_smile:).As soon as I get her fully decked out I might hit some of these fishing tournaments.

Good fishing If anyones fishing my way and has a boat come by middle creek boat ramp and pick me and my son up lol

9. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    Got her running will keep updated if she sinks lol.Fingers will be crossed!

10. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Nice boat you have.Hope you have good luck

11. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    Lets see got halfway there flat tire.After running here and there got it taken care of.Finally got to boat ramp launched the boat fine for a few min was all the way on other side of the river and noticed water.First thing in my mind "oh Sh*t" barely made to ramp and onto trailer whole rear end and flooded out the ying yang.Turns out one of the live well hoses broke off and allowed water to come in.So now I have to drain gas tank and try to fix it.Was to ticked off to stay at ramp and fish tonight.
    So I am going to let you all pick out a name for her.

12. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    how about titanic???????

13. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    Already been used need something unique.

14. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    How about "Catfish One"

15. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I had that happened with my boat one time, i was pretty far out on the lake when it happened. I was at monroe and went back through the No Wake zone at about 25 mph's (live in front, this kept it out of the water. a Game Warden saw me and was coming over to give me a ticket when he saw me bailing water waiting on the trailer to get in the water. he then laughed and said 'good luck fixing it' :big_smile:

I named my The Whiskered Wonder but I was also fond of Catfish Cadillac. go with that one

16. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    or how about "OH CHIT" lol ... i bet thats what u first said when u saw it was takin on water.

17. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    Oh Chit it is.Took it for a long spin and had a minor leak today but pulled onto bank hit it with some silicone bailed a little and fixed that.Now I get to play with motor hit and miss with full trottle wanted to cut out.When it worked right though I was flying hit some wakes in middle of river got a tad case of pucker facter. Going to check it out more in the morning and hopefully can get to run right.

18. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    Running better turned out the idiot I bought it from put the wrong plugs in.Took it for its first night trip son caught a nice size flathead

19. thenightstalker

thenightstalker New Member

State:
    indiana
    if your going river fishing in that boat, i recommend that you invest in a good pair of hip waders. fiberglass is heavy and likes to ride low in the water making it very difficult to navigate many of indianas rivers. be prepared to "walk" you boat through the shallows and "pull" it across the bars. i know all about it so please believe me. the rewards or getting your boat to many of the areas that others cannot get to are often very rewarding. as for wiring, id just wire up nav and anchor lights, fish finder, and of course engine. tilt and trim also if it is seperate from you engine. wiring can be trouble out on the water. i myself have burnt up a few wires, cause me to get a tow back. so keep it simple and spend the big money on ur cat equipment. sinkers, hooks, and swivels get expensive!! :wink: