Boat insurance

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by davesoutfishing, Feb 19, 2006.

1. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    How many of you guys have it how much is to much to pay for it what all does it cover?

2. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    I have boat insurance on a both of mine, covers accidental damage, theft, etc. Mine is $500 deductable. Costs about $300 a yr on $15,000 value. It will cover the lower units if you hit something, the trailer, etc.
    Jim

3. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    I was just quoted thursday for my new boat full coverage on boat and trailer for 108 a year,buts thats thru where my wife works and there might be some discounts on that i will know more tomorrow when i go sign all the papers

4. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    $15,000 policy for $125 a year $250 deductable. covers accidental damage, theft, vandalism, etc........for $125 a year I consider it a bargan!!!

Progressive has a deal where if you don't make a claim every year your deductable goes down $100 for 5 years untill it hit 0 might be worth checking into

5. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Dave,

$180 a year...$500 deductible, covers $14,000 for boat and motor.
    Includes state required liability insurance, we have $300,000.

Back a couple years ago a local marine picked up our boat by mistake. (we didn't miss it for a few hours) We turned it in as stolen and notified the insurance. They were ready to mail us a check for $14,000 when I called the insurance that our boat had been returned. I had already picked out a new boat. :sad:

6. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Boat insurance is the best deal on the market! Too bad we couldn't insure our vehicles for such low rates. I have mine with Progressive, and like the reducing deductible deal. Check it out.

7. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    $180 per year with Farm Bureau. $13,000 coverage but that was 4 or 5 years ago and I haven't made any adjustments for depreciation. It should be worth around $9,000 now. It's a 1998 17' Stratos with a 115 hp Evinrude.

I had two claims. Prop damage and they paid for a new prop minus $250 deductable. Next time it was a bent skeg and prop damage. The shop said the gears were damaged too and that I needed a whole new lower unit. Insurance paid $4,200.00 that time.

8. catfishcrazee

catfishcrazee Member

State:
    illinois
    try progessive, they have great rates, i checked several ins. companies and they beat everyone by $50 or more.

9. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    Go with the people you have your car and house through, usually get a better deal. I pay 106 a year and i covers boat, trailer and contents. Allstate

10. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Dave,

You can get an instant online quote here.
    Their quote for my boats were about the same as I have.

11. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    thanks olfin I will look into

12. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I think you can definitely get a better rate from your current insurance company if you already use them for all your other policies - home, auto, etc. - the rate I got from Progressive was about $75 more than I'm paying through my current company. (Though I'll admit I'm not certain the quote was for exactly the same coverage - I'll dig out my policy and try it again)

The nice thing about going with your present company is that you don't have to dig up all the details of your "indiscretions" of the past 3 years -- seems like we might have had an accident or two and maybe a moving violation or two, but I don't remember what or when and am not motivated enough to go find it all in the hopes of saving a few dollars. I've been with my current insurance company for over 20 years so I figure they've got a pretty good idea what my claim history is like...

13. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    I ran into an insurance buddy this weekend and was asking him about rates, policies, etc for the boat, house and vehicles. I have farm bureau, and always have, but they won't write a policy right now. He said he can't insure me because I live in one of the Katrina counties (the eye passed over my house). He suggested Progressive, and said they were really the best way to go on a boat.

14. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Mr.T,

Agree with staying with one company.. we've been with the same for over 30 years. Besides the discounts, just one insurance bill for everything is handy. I guess everyone knows insurance companies have the right to cancel your policy if you have too many claims. Several years back we got a letter from from our company saying that due to our past record we would never be canceled, no matter how many claims we have in the future.

15. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    I wish I could stay with Farm Bureau. They've always been good to me. Good rates too, since I have my truck written through the farm. But..Since they won't write me a policy I don't know. Heck, they won't even insure my wife's wedding ring.

16. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    dayton i got the online quote of 208 a year
    all i got is a 16 foot aluminum jon
    and this quote had all sorts of options that i am not real sure if i would need them or not .
    do you think i would need the under or non insured option>??
    i guesss if i was on a hi traffic river or large hi traffic lake it might be of
    importance but on these little strip opit lakes i go to i cant see this as a
    neccessity.

17. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    progressive wanted over 300 to insure my bassboat so i stayed with AAA 237 a year.

18. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Darryl,

That sounds high for a 16 foot jon boat. I'm no insurance person but I'm sure the price changes for each state. No, you wouldn't need the under or non insured option.

19. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    My last big boat was a rider on my auto insurance and wasn't that high.

20. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I pay 200$ a year no idea about what all it covers and such. The guy down the street is my insurance person.