boat insurance

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by outdoorsaddict, Sep 2, 2009.

1. outdoorsaddict

outdoorsaddict New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Do you guys know if the law requires insurance on a boat? A buddy just bought an 87' SS Turd pontoon and doesn't want it if not necessary. I do not believe it is required but thought I should verify my thinking is correct.

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I dont think it is required if you own the boat. May be a different story if it has a lien on it.

3. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    I wouldnt think so... but he is right, if it has a lien on it, then most likely, just like when you get a loan for a car, they require full coverage, i carry the minimum on my blazer 1988 because its value is so low...

anyways, im pretty sure its not. call the kdwp or dmv and they should know, and if they dont, they will know who will!:cool2:

4. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    It is not required, but why in the world would he not get it? If you damage or injure anything or anyone with your boat you are liable, on or off the water. That includes your passengers. Full coverage on my boat is $8 a month. If you can afford to pull a boat to the lake or river, you can afford $8 a month. You can also get just liability insurance for your boat even cheaper. It is the very least he should do.

5. mrtwister

mrtwister New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Some lakes require proof of liability insurance before they will let you put it in the water. I think thats going to be everywhere in the future.:angry:

6. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Yeah, that is sad. Too many sue happy people.:sad2:
    For the cost, I am sure it is worth it. Much more and I personally wouldnt worry about. Id fish alone if I had to and would avoid people and objects as much as possible.:smile2: If I had an expensive boat, it may be a different story.
    My Grandpa sold insurance for a living and once told my Dad,
    " Insurance is a gamble, You are betting you need it, they are betting you dont.":wink:
    Unfortunatley there are people nowadays whose job is to make you wish you had it.
    Things arent like they used to be, and with all of the boat traffic, jet skis and other bass turds at the lake, its probably a good idea.
    Maybe I will get a cheap boat and wreck it, and use the money to get a nicer one?:roll_eyes: Oh I forgot, thats why we are in this mess.:smile2::smile2::smile2:

7. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    I have it on my boat, its not required, but for aprox 125 a year I have
    $100,000 in libility to cover my butt if something happens.

8. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Full coverage costs me $58 a year and one accident or injury will cost so much more. Cheap at twice the price. Stay safe and stick a pig!!!:wink: