Boat horn

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by heavyduty413, Apr 10, 2007.

1. heavyduty413

heavyduty413 New Member

State:
    virginia
    HOW IS THE HORN WIRED? I NEED SOME DIRECTION ON HOW IT IS WIRED FROM THE HORN TO THE SWITCH AND THEN THE POWER SOURCE.

2. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    In simple terms, you would wire it straight to the battery. As in positive wire to positive terminal and negative wire to negative terminal. But you would put your horn switch (momentary - Normally Open) IN the positive line before actually hooking anything to the battery. :lol: As a safety measure, I always install a fuse in the positive wire near the connection to the battery.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Dave has got it... and don't forget the fuse he recommended. LOL It is not fun to set in a boat and watch wires smoke and burn.

4. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i wired mine up with a micro-switch, and a relay. the relay controls the positive side.

5. heavyduty413

heavyduty413 New Member

State:
    virginia
    Thanks for the help

6. vfourmax

vfourmax New Member

State:
    Va
    Another way is to wire the positive directly to the horn (with a fuse of course) and control the ground to the horn with your switch or button. When you press your horn button it completes the ground which completes the circuit and the horn blows. That way less contacts with + on it to possibly short out. Most auto horns are wired this way and that keeps from having the hot wire in the steering wheel to complete the circuit.

7. Localhero813

Localhero813 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    i agree with ^^^^^^^^ him