Boat hit by lighting in Lake charles LA

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by SCcatfishing, Sep 23, 2009.

1. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC
    Friend sent this to me in a email....

LAKE CHARLES, La. (AP) - A lightning
    strike on a fishing boat killed one man and injured another. State wildlife agents say Saturday's strike on Old Black Bayou near Lake Charles killed 44-year-old Joe Landry. He was pronounced dead at the scene. His fishing partner - Richard Bergeron of Lake Charles- was treated and released later
    Saturday from a hospital. Investigators say the two were attempting to pick up anchor and retreat from a small storm when lightning hit.

Attached Files:

2. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    That's horrible. A sobering reminder of Mother Nature's power. Bless those involved... :sad2:

3. msd7806

msd7806 New Member

State:
    Pegram, TN
    Wow! That boat is jacked up. Didnt think lightning could do that.

4. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    yeah brother, i saw this on the news. sad.

5. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    wow i had no idea it would do that to a boat if figured some burn marks but nothing like that. that is wild but terrible

6. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    did the tank explode???

7. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Man, i've heard about boats getting struck and even people getting killed but i have never actually seen a boat that was struck. Thats so sad

8. DamonG

DamonG Member

State:
    South Carolina
    That is so sad. The family and friends of the one involved are in my prayers.

This also lets people know why you should get off the water when a lighting storm rolls in. I don't mind rain but if I see a flash I am gone...

9. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    That got my attention!!:eek:oooh: Amazing power!!:crazy:

10. oldcatsc

oldcatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    The tragic loss of the Mr Landry should be a reminder to all fishermen , the power of the storm with its winds and lighting . I have been guilty of waiting til the last moment before leaving the water , but we don't think about its dangers until someone:embarassed: dies . Again my condolinces to Mr Landry's family and hope that his friend recovers soon .

11. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    That lightening some bad stuff, sorry to hear about the loss of a fellow fisherman like that, or anyway for that matter,,Prayers sent for the family.:sad:

A few years back a fisherman was killed as they were trying to outrun a electrical storm that was 20 miles away from them and closing, the man at the wheel heard a pop, looked back and his partner was on the deck dead:eek:oooh:

20 MILES. You ever see that lightening that travels sideways through the sky??:crazy: It will reach out and KILL, Bro's be aware of whats brewing in the sky's.
    Be Safe.:wink:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  12. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Thank you for the reminder of boating & general safety. It is too easy to stay out there as long as possible. I am humbled by mother nature. Such a sad event, I feel horrible for family and friends. Be safe.

13. hillbillygurl

hillbillygurl New Member

State:
    Missouri
    :sad2:what a horrible thing to have happen. prayers are with all invloved.

14. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    There are those that want come in. We were in the Canal between the lakes at Santee when a storm came up (happens a lot) a bunch of us had come in and we were all waiting and watching as others were trying to get out of the storm. We decided to get a bite to eat and was watching one of the worst lighting storms i had ever witness. It was spooky and there was about 40-50 others in the restraunt with the same idea. About that time there was about 5 guys on a pontoon that came down the canal and anchored right above the bridge and started fishn. A couple even took there shirts off and was enjoying the rain. Lightn bolts hitting all around and it seemed everyone in the canal lakes restraunt had gathered at the big glass window to watch these crazy fishermens fate. It went on for about 30 min and those guys fished the whole time.:tounge_out:
    Guys i don't play with that stuff, if i see a storm a comming, i'm a going

15. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    Wow, that boat is destroyed. I think I will look at storms a little diffferent in the future. Thanks for the post, it may save someone's life.

16. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for sharing this Sobering Post. May it open all our eyes to the power nature packs. Sad loss. Prayers go out to the family and friends.