Boat help?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Drawout, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    My 1972 starcraft boat doesnt handle very well it acts like it wants to turn over at top speed especially if its windy. Will an engine stabilizer make it ride better ?

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Johnny, you have asked a question which causes a lot of conjecture from the reading audience. I believe we would have to see the boat and its performance in order to say "this is what's wrong with the boat". It could be the way the load is balanced in the boat which causes it to dig into the water in a certain way. It could be there are obstructions on the side or stern which cups the water and causes the boat to do something funny. It could be one of the skids on the bottom of the boat is missing, loose or bent. It could be the boat is overpowered. It could just be the way the boat is operated. Like I say, there are too may variables. I recommend you get with some to the North Texas or S. Oklahoma brothers on Texhoma sometime and see if you guys together can figure out the problem.

3. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Thx Lawrence, i was browsing ebay and saw it and thought quick fix lol but i think its probally unbalanced load.Thx for your help.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Johnny if it gets squirrly when at top speed then it is doing what is called chine walking. That is when the boat is over speeding with the bow to high in the air. Lawarence may be onto something with the comment about your boat being overpowered. There are ways to cure that problem. But a quick fix ain't going to get it done. If that thing is walking that bad at WOT you had better keep it slowed down or it will get out from under you some day.

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
  6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I do believe we had some discussions on this last fall. Apparently he was not satisfied with the answers he received then, so brought up the question again. I don't blame him a darn bit... far as I am concerned it was to darn cold to work on boats this winter, especially around the water. I think Drawout will get the answers he is seeking sometime this spring. But, if we can help him, or some one else, all they need to do is ask their questions.

7. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Yes we did cover it but like i was saying i was just browsing ebay and saw this and a light bulb lit up in my head lol,So i decided to bring it up again ,didnt mean to bore you with my problems.

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Johnny you ain't boring us with your problem. Ask away and we will finally come up with the answer

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
  10. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    thx Willard thats good to hear. You are a great help all of us that arent rich and do have problems. Ty :001:

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC

Chine walking is nothing compared to chine tripping:big_smile:
    It sucks bad.
    Get the situation under control before she trips.

Chine walking happens alot on high powered bass boats. You got to learn to drive some of these boats at high speed. They aren't no joke.
    But what you can try when it starts chine walking is a gradual left hand turn under speed. It counters the motor torque and calms it right down in most cases. A high speed bass boat would be a little different as she is walking on the pad and there aint a whole lot you can do about it as even water conditions may make it walk, but the results are the same. Play with the left hand turn as you try to sort the situation out.

12. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Thx mark ill try that also.

13. 710split

710split New Member

State:
    iowa
    I'm probably stating the obvious, but......
    My first boat was a 14' wood/fiberglass vee bottom with a 40 HP.
    Even with glass smooth water, it didn't feel stable above 3/4 full
    throttle. The final 1/4 throttle was used when the boat was loaded.
    My second boat was a 16' jon with a coast guard front end with a 40 HP.
    It was stable with glass smooth water, but since the Mississippi River
    isn't that smooth very often, it was the same story. I ran with 1/2
    to 3/4 most of the time and used the last 1/4 throttle when loaded.
    My current boat is a 19' jon with a 90 HP. It has lots and lots of power
    and the only limitation is the water conditions.
    BOTTOM LINE: In conversations like this, exactly what are the water
    conditions? High winds? Seems like comparisons need common
    conditions unless boats are suppose to be stable at all speeds in
    all conditions.