Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new here but I have a question. I recently bought a 16' jon boat for a real good deal but the guy who had it before me cut the back 2/3 of the ribs about an inch after they start angling up onto the sides of the boat. He then put an aluminum and plywood floor in and attached it with rivets to the side hull. As can be expected the plywood rotted and the floor had to be taken out and now all thats left is the ribs. The ribs are in good shape except they don't have the top part that goes up the side (cut off about an inch after the turn up). My question is can i fabricate and add on ends to the ribs? And how should I attach them to the ribs weld or rivet? Is this fixable? Theres no middle bench so I have to add some structural stability. Thanks so much for your help and sorry this is so long.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Hi I'm new here but I have a question. I recently bought a 16' jon boat for a real good deal but the guy who had it before me cut the back 2/3 of the ribs about an inch after they start angling up onto the sides of the boat. He then put an aluminum and plywood floor in and attached it with rivets to the side hull. As can be expected the plywood rotted and the floor had to be taken out and now all thats left is the ribs. The ribs are in good shape except they don't have the top part that goes up the side (cut off about an inch after the turn up). My question is can i fabricate and add on ends to the ribs? And how should I attach them to the ribs weld or rivet? Is this fixable? Theres no middle bench so I have to add some structural stability. Thanks so much for your help and sorry this is so long.
I'd try to brace it somehow.

I think someone here has ordered replacement ribs.

Or build a bench into the middle and drive slow.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
With that much structural integrity removed from the boat it woiuld probably be okay for a pondhopper with an electric trolling motor, with only one inch of ribbing to work with it will be hard to add something that will actually help. Buying all new ribs and stuff will be more expensive than a new boat would be, look at some plain lowe flatbottom boats from someplace like cabelas and compare to your projected fix it cost, personally I would scrap the boat or resell it and keep the trailer and buy a decent boat, the last thing you need is a boat folding up and quickly sinking on you in the middle of nowhere with all your gear in it, sounds like a little forward propulsioin and a good size wave might make for a very bad day. I don't know what goes through folks head sometimes, it's the same a pulling out all the load bearing walls in a house to remodel it, not a good idea.

·
Registered
97 Posts
if your talking about a 1636 john boat Yul be fine.i had a 10 36 and i chop,cut ,mod fide.i took the foam out of the seats to make room for the batters.put a 9.9 on it fished in it for years.with no problem!!!and it was over powered,under structured.the time you make a bench in the middle you will be fine.my advise put your mooter it take it around the bank and try it . you will see how tough them boats are.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I agree with Don sell it you're going to get twofootidis anyway..get the biggest one you can afford even if its bare you can add to it as you go..after some time on the water you'll know what you want and where ...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.