Boat Help! Fast plz.

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by evilfud, Jul 16, 2009.

1. evilfud

evilfud New Member

State:
    IN
    Ok guys im faced with a tough choice here. Let me give you some details.

I can buy a 2005 Smoker Craft Stinger 161 with a 85hp OB also a 93 trailer. It does NOT have tilt/trim and the motor takes a 50:1 oil mixture. The engine was went through last year i think he said just for preventative maintenance.

This is a NICE looking boat and he will take me out on the water before i buy it.BUT it has no trolling motor or fish/depth finder and is a 4 hour drive one way. But it is only $3500! Clear titles etc. says he is only selling because he bought a pool and wont be going to the lake anymore and when he did he used for scuba diving not fishing. Crazy i know.

The other Boat is a 1992 Lowe 1620 with a 60hp oil injected Johnson with tilt/trim. A 30hp Johnson foot controlled trolling motor.Eagle Fish Elite 502c iGPS Fishfinder. 2 batteries,trailer,anchors,life vests. And is located about 4 minutes from my house and close to the same price.

What do i do???

2. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    What brand motor on the smokercraft? You realy need tilt trim on a motor that size. I'm not a fan of Johnson motors but to me the Lowe sounds like a better deal. Being it is settup for fishing and is closer to home.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009

3. evilfud

evilfud New Member

State:
    IN
    Just called him he said its a Force 85

4. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    I think that is made by Mariner/Mercury??? Maybe I'm wrong?

5. evilfud

evilfud New Member

State:
    IN
    They (Force) have had an interesting history.
    1. They started out as Chrysler Marine.
    2. They became a part of US Marine (Bayliner)
    3. They were bought by Brunswick-makers of Mercury.
    They are no longer made.
    They shared few parts

6. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    tough to make a decision without seeing both, but assuming everything is good on both boats. for me the way I fish. probably go with the Lowe's. If you go with the other one, until you get the stuff on it that you want, you might have close to $5000 in it, depending on all the toy you might be thinking about.

7. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana

That was my thinking also. I'd prolly stay away from the force engines. That lowe with a 60 horse will be a nice boat. I'd prolly see if the guy would let you take it out.

8. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Go and look at the Lowe. Forget the other one...W

9. evilfud

evilfud New Member

State:
    IN
    Here is some pics of the Smoker Craft

10. evilfud

evilfud New Member

State:
    IN
    Here is pics of the Lowe

Attached Files:

• L1.jpg
      L1.jpg
      File size:
      8.7 KB
      Views:
    • L2.jpg
      L2.jpg
      File size:
      9.7 KB
      Views:
    • L3.jpg
      L3.jpg
      File size:
      7.4 KB
      Views:
  11. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Chris, I'd go with the Lowes.

12. evilfud

evilfud New Member

State:
    IN
    To help me out a little more could ya tell me why you would choose the one you are choosing?

Also does this seem to be a good price/deal for either of these boats?

Thanks,
    Chris

13. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I would not take that force if he gave it to me. I have worked on many motors and the force and the Fitch engines are two you need to stay away from. The force was and is a sorry designed motor. Had way to many problems to list all of them.

14. BigDuck

BigDuck New Member

State:
    Trumann, Arkans
    Bubbacat know his stuff!! plus i have a lowe jon boat and love it!

15. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Chris,
    The Smoker looks decent but according to what you say it has no equipment or extras of any kind. That Force motor is not going to give you the opportunity to trim the boat out and with 80hp on tap you need to be able to do that to get a good ride.
    Sounds like the Lowe is just about ready to go bar some rod holders. As mentioned, you will end up with a lot more money in the Smoker and you will have to spend it before you can even fish.
    At least with the Lowe you can upgrade or replace stuff as you go, as and when your money allows but you will be on the water and fishing.

Buying a used boat is always a lottery; either one could be great or a load of trouble. If something doesn't seem right listen to that little voice. Get the guy with the Lowe to take you out in it. If he's not keen to do that walk away. if he will, pay attention to everything. Follow him to the lake. Look how the trailer rides. Do the tires wobble? Do the lights work. Does the motor start up easily. Does the instrumentation work, the horn, the lights, bilge pumps etc. Get behind the wheel. How does the steering feel, does the motor pick up and go or hesitate. Does the tilt/trim work?

Hope that helps...W

PS. F.O.R.C.E. is an acronym for F***ing Old Repainted Chrysler Engine.

16. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    We use to have an old 14ft lowe and it was a good boat. I have looked at many smokercraft boats and I like the way they are laid out in comparision to the lowe you are looking at. I like the smokercraft boat better but would not have a boat with a force motor. You just dont see may force motors around. I would stick with a well known name like Mercury, Evinrude or Johnson. Heck I would go with a honda before that force. Just not a relliable motor from what I have heard. The lowe has a lot of extra stuff that the smoker craft doesnt. The lowe would be the better choice in this case. Its too bad the smokercraft wasnt equipped better and a better motor. I would bargain on the price of the lowe due to the age of this boat. I bet you coud get him down under $3,000 maybe around $2,500. Wouldnt go much more than that for that age. Either way be cautious and dont grab the first boat you see. Check around, look at some of these local boat yards around indy. With the economy in the toilet you should be able to get a real good deal from them.

17. evilfud

evilfud New Member

State:
    IN
    Well guys i want to thank you because of your insight i am now the owner of a very nice 92 Lowe 1620.

I was really on the smoker craft because of that nice interior but i trust you guys.

This is my first boat purchase i will create a new topic on it and post some pics of it.

p.s The lowe was priced at $4250 but i batted my pretty eyelashes at the dude (or i showed him an envelope with $3500 cash in it) and said thats what i can do. And come to find out the fish finder is very nice its a Eagle Fish Elite 502c iGPS worth i think like $500

Chris

18. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    good deal man,enjoy your new boat!!!

19. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    What shade of lipstick you wear?:smile2: lol Congrats on the new boat

20. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Rig it the way you want it and enjoy it. The only thing I advise doing to it is install a water fuel seperator on it and find out from the PO when the last time the lower unit oil was changed and when the water pump was installed.