boat for the ohio river?

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by rogers7, Dec 16, 2008.

1. rogers7

rogers7 Member

State:
    Stanton, KY
    What is an average boat needed to fish the ohio???? I have an older 17 ft fiberglass (resembles a carolina skiff design) with a 60 horse, it's a heavy stable boat......is this safe for fishing the ohio if I'm out of the harsher current???? Mainly wanting to fish around where the KY river comes into the Ohio????? Thanks for any information.

2. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Welcome to the forum.Your boat should be fine to fish the Ohio a good part of the time.There are times when a 12' jon boat would be safe if it were not for the barge traffic and other times it would take a boat meant to go offshore to be safe.Don't underestimate the river,know her flow and condition before putting out.
    Jake

3. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    Yeah like Jake said..."know her flow and condition before putting out." You'll be alright most of the time. Just get out a few times in calmer waters and learn what you can handle, then start taking on heavier current, windy, choppy days.

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN

Welcome to the BOC, this site is full of good info and great people. Your boat should be more than sufficient. Good luck and keep us update on your trips

5. rogers7

rogers7 Member

State:
    Stanton, KY
    Thanks for the replies!!! The Ohio is a good bit away, but me and the wife (She usually out fishes me..lol) like taking road trips atleast twice a month....and The Ohio is going to be some of our main trips this year. Other than that will be on the KY River around Clark and Estil county....and of course fishing in the canoe on the red river......
    Once again thanks for the info....can't wait to try out the Ohio this year...reading the posts on here makes me want head out right now!!!

6. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    I've seen small jon's on the river with just tm's on them. The water level wasn't high & the current was calm near the banks & a good distance from the dam. Use caution period.:cool2:

7. bowhunter145

bowhunter145 New Member

State:
    indiana
    ya that will be fine but me and a buddy went down on the day the BIG WIND came through that was fun (not) thank god for my mr.pike17 lund it felt like we was on the ocean but u still need to becarefull good luck on the fishing.

8. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Chris...Welcome to the BOC!! As long as you respect the river, know the river, and know how to handle your boat, you should be fine. Just a warning, the Ohio is very addictive. Enjoy yourself, catch some nice fish and you will soon find yourself taking more and more trips to her. Be careful and take pics so we can see what you catch.

Linda

BE SAFE

9. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    In a 14 foot jon boat with 14h/p johnson motor.Never had a problem,how you might ask? Always checked river levels and stayed clear of those much bigger then I,barges.Even fished Newburgh and Cannelton dams, again you ask yourself how? Put my boat in, drove to the dam and then banked it, got out the boat and fished the dam. ha ha ha .Now on a serious note, atleast 6 people lost their lifes at Cannelton Dam last year and most went past the yellow line.So always stay behind that line its their for a reason,watch the weather,watch river levels and ask question here on the B.O.C Owensborocathunter [/COLOR]

10. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC Your boat should be fine, Hope to see you on the river this summer. I am just down river at Madison ,and fish some in the area your talkink about ...:0a23::006:

11. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I live in Richmond if you come down this way fishing give me a shout about 5 miles to boonesboro state park dam on the ky river .

12. rogers7

rogers7 Member

State:
    Stanton, KY
    Hey Lance, be nice to fish with new people......you ever have any luck in the KY with big flatties???? I'm pretty much retired, and can just about fish anytime. Drop me a pm and let me know about the KY river fishing...

13. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Not yet !:sad2: I fish at boonesboro Have heard of 1 last year just over 20lbs. There is plenty of cover in there . I basically fish for channels but do thro out a rod with a gill on it when I go . I have 3 kids to feed is one reason I put my efforts on channels . I like eating flats better BUT feel guilty harvesting them unless deep hooked . If there were more around I wouldn't feel bad . I caught 1 little one last year there and gave it a slimy kiss and back it went . Will let you know when I go . I fish the gorge some for trout too not often tho .

14. rogers7

rogers7 Member

State:
    Stanton, KY
    Yeah I got 4 boys and one girl. They all love fishing, and boonesboro looked like a good place to fish and play along the beach area.

If you want fish to eat and have a small boat, canoe or anything that floats....should try the resevoir over here in Powell County. I can go out and catch 20 or more eating size channels in about 2-3 hours on my canoe. You can bank fish around the dam and do good too, escpecially when they are on nest. The resevoir has alot of access points for bank fishing 10 foot off the road. Another good spot is Mill Creek Lake by Natural Bridge....it mostly has channels but there are some blues in there, can catch channels in the 5lbs pretty regular, and blues around 10 lbs, but gotta have a boat to get to them. Mill creek lake also has a good number of trout (my PB is a 18 inch rainbow out of there). If you don't have a boat let me know and we can hit them some time.

Back to the KY River:
    Ever fish up by the hot water discharge by the power plant up above boonesboro????? I heard it was good fishing. I also heard the I-75 bridge was a good area.

Another KY River spot is the lock up at High Bride in Jessamine county. Easy access and plenty of shoreline to fish from. I caught 3 flatties around 15lbs, just below the fast water. Also catch alot of white bass on minnows while waiting for cats to bite. Soft shell crawfish seemed to be the "big" bait of choice in that section.

15. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Have fished Mill Creek for trout as well as Indian Camp creek . I have 3 youngens and don't go to far to often but will give a shout if I go up that way. KY river: Haven't fished the discharge but have fished the other side where a stream called Otter creek dumps in. I fished the I-75 bridge twice last year no luck it is 10 min. from the house didn't have any luck but did look good there . I have fished the high bridge area several times in the past I had a buddy that lived above the dam and fished below the dam as well .Last time I fished below the locks a sheriff came down and said fishing wasn't allowed there . He made 3 groups of people leave Some where down on the gravel fishing . I think he might have been fishing for a dui :wink: I was the last one to gather up my stuff and he had already "chosen his target " It takes over an hour to get there from here because there is no direct route to there from here .

16. rogers7

rogers7 Member

State:
    Stanton, KY
    That sheriff must have been targeting someone.....The wife and I sat there and talked to the game warden for a long time. I watched him write a bunch of tickets to people fishing on the lock itself, but they were on the lock and some were standing where the water runs over. It's a good place, we spent the night down below the lock with no problems.

My wife works in Winchester, so I'll be up there fishing in the AM, til time to have lunch with her (about 3 to 4 hours of fishing). Plan on doing that about 3 times per week (atleast until school is out...then I got the kids in the AM). Maybe we can hook up then and run the river together, no fun fishing alone all the time. Probably start doing that in mid March chasing channels and whatever else hits.

17. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Mid march it is I will have my 5 year old daughter probably we fish some together so it 's no problem for a few hours usually at least a couple hours. The river gets messed up sometimes in the spring but we will make some trips there is also a campground at boonesboro we stay at occasionnaly it being only 5 miles from my house . once the river goes down i can use my boat only have a trolling motor right now no money to replace the motor I had on it .

18. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I'm hoping to get down that way some this spring and summer if all goes well.

19. rogers7

rogers7 Member

State:
    Stanton, KY
    CATFISH KEN,

What's up with Dewey Lake....isn't it close to Paintsville???? I heard it had a good flathead fishery. Suppose to be some monsters....

20. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    it may but your talking about the bird nest king:wink: