boat for river fishing

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by hunted, May 23, 2008.

1. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i was thinkin of getting a 14 foot jon boat for river fishing,for at least normal
    water conditions.i figured if a got a boat like this,it would be easier to get over
    any sand bars i might encounter.

i would be fishing the scioto around circleville more than any where else.

any thoughts if a boat like that would be a good choice?

2. catfish361

catfish361 New Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Richard
    a 14 foot Jon boat would be the best boat to use in that area. Just make sure what ever motor you use make sure it has an automatic kick up. Those sand bars come up fast and you will shear a pin or two. Tape some extra shearpins and tape them to the inside of your cow of your motor.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    That boat would be ideal for that region. I have fished the chillicothe area a great deal and that is the size we use. A good 5-10 HP motor will push you under most condition there. That is also very good advice on the outboard.

4. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Richard a 14 foot jon boat should do fine and it seems like there have been a lot of them listed on Columbus Craigs list lately ...might want to check that out .... probably with the price of gas there will be a bunch of people getting rid of boats in the near future ...... Garry- :wink:

5. feetdown

feetdown New Member

State:
    ohio
    Heres my suggestion...If you want a 14'er Buy a 16'er...You will want it sooner or later...I have a 14/48 Mod V and cant wait till I can buy a bigger boat....
    I run a 9.9 Evinrude on it with the 15 hp. carb . It will run in the low 20mph range with me only. and with 2 guys in the high teens...Just remember Buy as much as you can afford and dont go cheap on a motor. It is a terrible feeling when your motor breaks down and your all alone at night to figure it out....

6. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    judd,with my luck,i always count on something like that happening.

thanks for the responses guys

7. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    i checked out craigs list,yeah there are a couple really nice ones set up good.

8. Wheeler59

Wheeler59 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Richard you may not want it but I've got a 17 ft. wide bottom canoe Old Town. With a Trolling motor that mounts on the back.I'd sale it for $200.00 I've got the title for it . I see that we live in Washington C.H. So let me know if you want to see it. I was looking in Cabelas catalog and they sale for $1000.00 bucks.But it is a older one. Its great for going up the creeks. I've had it down along the old road at Deer Creek alot. Mike

9. Wheeler59

Wheeler59 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Just to let you know.I live on Lewis Street and I'am putting it in a yard sale next weekend.

10. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    thanks,but i am looking for a jon boat,thanks for the offer though

11. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Richard the best set up for this area is a jet drive of some sort. There are 5 or so around here and we have no problems at all navigating the river. I guess it depends on the money you want to spend. I have one i might sell just haven't decided yet.

12. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    its not the problem of money i want to spend,it is the money i have to spend.i want to spend a lot of money :big_smile:

i would like to have a jet drive to get up and down the river.i can't afford it,so i was gonna get a jon boat to make it easier to get through the river with.

now if ya wanna give your jet drive boat to me for charity,i am needy :wink:

13. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    LOL I hear ya on the money. With a jon boat you will be getting wet you can't go very far between riffles around here north or south. But you have to make due with what you have to. good luck on your search.

14. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    oh,i will get wet if i have to,just to get to where i think i need to go.

and if ya decide to sell that jet drive,humor me and give me a price,lol

15. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Richard I now where a 10 foot flatbottom with a 750 polaris jet ski motor is for 400.00 it will scream

16. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    shoot me a pm on the info on it,please