Boat floor...epoxy?

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by vegasryder, Apr 4, 2007.

1. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    I was wondering if anyone here has tried to paint epoxy on their wood floor for the boat?The epoxy is the same as the ones used for the garage floor so it blocks the water and its easy to wipe off the stains.You can apply or throw grains of sand on it while its wet so when it dries...it feels almost like sandpaper.I was thinking it would be a cheaper alternative to having carpet which cost more and is a pain to clean from all the fish slime.But i wasnt sure if it would do well when its painted on wood.Let me hear some input from you guys...

2. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    you might think of Ultra Tuff Coat. its a marine epoxy coating you can get at basspro or cabela's.

I agree about the carpet, I'll never have carpet again. If you use sand it can be hard on the knees or skin. This stuff has rubber pieces through out.

http://www.ultratuff.net/utmindex.htm

3. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    I think that pretty much is the same as the garage floor epoxy,which is 1/3 less.I`m going to check out home depot today if it works well with wood,if not...i`ll see if the local BPS has the Ultra Tuff in stock.

I was also thinking of putting vinyl tile with strips of griptape(from skateboards) that will run across for traction.

4. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Sounds like a good idea, be sure to sprinkle on the sand, it would really be
    slick if you don't.

5. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've got the marine grade vinyl flooring over my wood and it works great.
    Just another option.

6. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    The floor epoxy may not have UV protection. Call a local paint mfg and ask them about it and what you want to put it on. They will help you find the right product. According to the paint mfg I use they did not make anything that would work for use in my boat. That is in there own line.... other mfg's might have something that has the UV protection. You might try Sherwin Williams..... they have their own line of auto paints and marine I believe also.

And If you don't mind painting it every 3 years or so it would be fine with no UV protection. In my exp. with applying epoxies it is most important to do the proper prep work ie. cleaning and rinsing.

I thought about using the epoxy that is use to refinish tubs and counter tops. It is a 2 part system and color can be added (white is too bright). To add color get some oil paint from an Artist store. The paint is pretty think so you need to mix it well. Just add a little bit at a time until you get the right color.

I was looking at this as the best option because it(tub/counter) is designed to adhere to fiberglass as well as porcelain. The concrete floor of a garage is alot more porous. So to me this seemed to be the best idea

I ended up not doing the project due to a bit of laziness and not replacing my floor.

Dave

7. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    I painted the front plywood deck of my Al boat going on 4 years ago. The paint came from cabellas and has rubber particles in it. It has worked great. There are two things to keep in mind. It doesn't go very far. Pay attention to the coverage data. The bumps are a little hard on bare knees. Traction is great, adhesion is great and it wears well . Slime, mud and grunge clean easily. I have not had any problem with mold growing on it. One of my friends painted his Aluminum boat with the NAPA version of Rino linning. He is very pleased with the results but it is a little soon to be sure it will stay stuck.

8. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I sell a floor at work that is a floor covering marketed for garages. It is a industrial grade "rubber" floor, but it is non slip like epoxy, but it lasts forever and is a breeze to clean. I'm going to try some in my jon boat. It comes in a ribbed. coin' or diamond pattern.

9. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois

Let me know ho it turns out...

I found that Herculiner will work on wood floors for the boat.I`m scavaging around what place carries it local.I found a few but the only problems is that they only have black in stock.Do you guys think that a black floor,brown seat,and beige boat will match?Does it even matter?My friends tell me it doesnt match and it shouldnt matter because its just the floor.The only thing is that if i have to sell it,i dont want the color to be a deterent.

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Black... bet that would reflect heat. Be okay in the winter, but how often do you fish in the winter?

11. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    I agree with the heat part,but i need a tan anyway :lol: .The only fishing i do in winter is in my Playstation...