Boat finish

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by squirtspop, Mar 12, 2006.

1. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    I've got a 18 foot pro craft bass boat. It is silver and metallic blue. Problem is that it is getting a gray haze on the blue part, probably on the silver part too. What is best to use to remove this haze and then what should I use to prevent it from coming back? I polished it last year and put on turtle wax and buffed out. It looked great then but I noticed yesterday when I put the charger on the batteries that it had that haze back.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Chuck west marine sells some good stuff for bringing back the color.
    I have used an automotive product called color back that helped.

3. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I used auto clear coat on my bass boat.It is a lot of work, but has stayed on two years. Sand it and wash it down with acetone. It will peal if you don't get the glass clean

4. cat daddy 791

cat daddy 791 New Member

State:
    Kansas- Wichita
    Your Boat Has A Coating Called Gel-coat. It Is Sprayed In The Mold Before They Add The Glass Sheets And Resin. There Are Mant Products Available The Restore The Gel-coat. I Would Not Use Automotive Waxes To Restore The Finish. Rex Marine Has Some Great Products For Gel-coat Restoration.

5. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I should have said auto clear coat paint. It works on boats the same as on a corvette both are glass.

6. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Dale, a friend of mine shot his boat the same way around the top and it looks new! His has been on for 4 years now and all he does is wax it once a year....

7. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    thanks guys. gonna see if'n I can find that gel coat stuff. sounds like less work than the clear coat.

8. cat daddy 791

cat daddy 791 New Member

State:
    Kansas- Wichita
    CORVETTES MAY BE FIBERGLASS, BUT THEY STILL HAVE AUTOMTIVE PAINT ON THEM. NOT GEL-COAT. MANY DIFFERENT PROPERTIES BETWEEN THE TOO. SQUIRTSPOP WANTS TO RESTORE THE GEL-COAT, NOT REFINISH THE WHOLE BOAT. AND WAX IS ONLY A PROTECTANT.

9. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I have try ed about every gel-coat restorer on the market in the last 30yrs. I have not found one that will last .I do know the difference between paint and gel-coat.

10. cat daddy 791

cat daddy 791 New Member

State:
    Kansas- Wichita
    I JUST WANTED SQUIRTSPOP TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO. NOT INSULT YOUR INTELLIGENCE. I HAVE PAINTED AND CLEARED MY BOATS IN THE PAST. I THOUGHT HE SHOULD TRY A DIFFERENT AVENUE THATS NOT SO DRASTIC AND LABOR INTENSIVE. HE MAY NOT HAVE ACCESS TO THE EQUIPMENT OR KNOW SOMEONE WITH THE KNOWLEDGE OF HOW TO APPLY IT. BOAT MANUFACTURERS RECOMMEND THAT YOU USE PRODUCTS ON GEL-COATED BOATS THAT WERE DESIGNED FOR THE APPLICATION. AND TO USE IT AT THE BEGINNING AND AT THE END OF EACH SEASON. NOT JUST A ONE TIME APPLICATION. THIS WILL HELP WITH THE HAZE HE WANTS TO GET RID OF. I THINK THAT USING A GEL-COAT RESTORATING PRODUCT A COUPLE OF TIMES A YEAR IS MUCH EASIER AND LESS EXPENSIVE THAN APPLYING A NEW COAT OF CLEAR. THIS IS JUST " MY " OPINION.