Boat filled with water and covered battery!!!!

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by baitchunker, Feb 7, 2008.

1. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    wasnt sure where to post this. but, i guess this is the most likely spot.

i have an 18' allweld john boat with 4-srtoke 90. i bought it last spring and luv it. i usually take it out 1-3 times a week. i havent had any problems so far. the catch is i was planning on building a bigger boat shed for it this spring, because it wouldnt fit in my old one. i have been keeping it under a boat cover and it has worked well (sort of). during hunting season i was gone for most of 2 and a half months. every time i got home i would check to make sure that there was no water trapped in the cover or int he boat.

last 2 weeks we have gotten a collosal amount of rain. i walked by my boat to check on it and to my horror i discovered that not only had the cover collected water, but also the drain hole had a piece of trashg clogging it. that in turn caused the boat to fill up with water--all the way over the top of the batteries. i almost wept. i drained the water off and cranked the motor. the motor cranked just fine, but i only ran it for a few seconds. i was worried that somehow water might have gotten into a gas line. (not really sure if it is possible?) next i tried turning on my master switch to operate all of the electronics. f-finder, lights, bilge pump, aerator, etc... nadda. try again, nadda.

my question is. after i let it dry out. if it does work again, is thier any extra maintnance i should do to the wiring? if it does not work, what are the chances that it is just the battery? i am pretty good with my hands for most things EXCEPT electricity. i skipped that class. (hindsight 20/20). any tips or advice would be very very welcome.

thanks,
    J.D.

p.s. i am starting on the new boat shed this weekend.

2. boogie

boogie New Member

State:
    east tennessee,maryville
    sorry to hear about the bad luck j.d. i hope everything turns out ok and not a lot of damage, ya shouldnt ever power up any electronics after them getting wet until they have had a chance to dry out really good ,hopefully after it dry's out it will be just a corroded or blown fuse or 2.....good luck to ya brother ,will have my fingers crossed for ya :wink:

3. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Sorry to hear the bad news.

Check your springs on the boat trailer too. Filling a boat with water is a lot of weight [ 8lbs to a gallon ] You might have hurt your trailer or springs.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sorry for your setback. I expect everything will work just fine, once it completely dries. You might want to add an automatic bilege pump until your garage or cover is built. Wishing you luck.

5. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    good advice.

i have an automatic bilge pump at work with a small float. hopefully i wont need it. that is also good thinking about the springs. yikes! i hadnt thought of that yet...

6. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    If the battery turned over the motor and started it ok chances are Battery is ok. I would check fuses,fuse links .wire end etc. Get you a wire tester for 12volts (Wally World) about 5 bucks ,test your wires to see if your getting juice and where it stops at.
    Wiat till it all dries out real good. Best of luck.

7. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    SORRY ABOUT THE BAD LUCK ,IT SHOULD BE OK WHEN IT COMPLETLY DRIES GOOD LUCK !

8. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Do you use seperate batteries, one for cranking the motor and the other for accessories such as electronic, gauges, ect. ???

Drying out might work but if you still have issues, they might include corrosion around electrical connectors. Can you tell if they are using copper wire or tin coated copper wire. If it is the cheaper copper wire, these tend to corrode easy and may just need to be cleaned or even cut a little off and a new connector put on.

Was is just the water in the back over the batteries or did it get to your fuse panel as well?

9. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    good questions koon.

i have 2 batteries one crank and one for trolling motor-lights-etc.

no idea about the wires. but i will find out now that i know there is a difference. fuse panel? time to check the owners manual. not really sure where it is. hopefully inside the console??? funny thing is if the boat were made out of wood i could fix what ails it. but, electricity... well that stuff is an animal im not familiar with.

i will get some answers and get back to you.

thanks for all yall's help.

10. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Don't have much to add, only sympathy.

Good luck!

I wonder if anyone has a helpful tip for drying it out as fast as possible?

11. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Man had it happen two summers ago, My little one was playing and seen the boat plug out and well, "didn't want me to forget it when I went fishing" :wink: LOL!, didn't have any problems after word, but I would suggest going ahead and spraying what ever connections you can with some water displacement silicone (wd-40) and it will help on them little spots that may corrode on ya.

12. lissaannjon

lissaannjon New Member

State:
    Dubuque, IA
    you may want ot get yourself bettery tester. i use a $10 minnkota one from wally world. check both batteries. one question is are these sealed gel batteries or lead acid style batteries? if they are lead acid some water could have gotten into the battery and killed it but the only way to know is to check it and if its still showing a charge then thats great. as other have mentioned then its probably just a fuse somewhere in the system. good luck and im glad to hear that im not the only one that has "mishapses" once in a while:eek:oooh::wink:.

13. flatheadfisher

flatheadfisher New Member

State:
    NC
    That has happened to me several times and I haven't had any electrical problems. I did set my battery box on some thicker pieces of styrofoam to get the top as high as possible. Once, I got some water in the gas tank and I had to throw the gas out. I suspect it will be ok!

14. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Boy sounds like Johnny has been visiting!!!:smile2::tounge_out: Man i almost sank a boat last year cause the stupid bilge pump got stopped up with trash:eek:oooh: and couldn't pump. The batteries were submerged, gas tanks and the whole boat from the seats back was under......After it was all over with .... I praised my metal totally sealed tanks that folks tend to trash talk..had them over 5yrs and not a drop of rust or water if i had had plastic ones they would have filled got in the motor and probably not made it to safety. Johnny has them now on his toon. Also i replaced every fuse in it they will corrode and pop anyway....sprayed the box with wd-40, then got the shop vac out and removed everything from the back and went to town..no more trash to clog things up...then i added an emergency bilge-pump that clips on the battery and i can move it around to use ....even got one in my new boat...I didn't have any wire problems although i had a couple that were spliced with butt connectors and i went ahead and replaced them. All i can say is about once a month since then i get the shop vac out or stop at the car-wash vac and go to town in the storage and bottom hull.

15. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    well the batteries seem to be holding a charge decently. tommorow i plan on taking them out and washing everything in the back of the boat with baking soda and water. then i will spray the good ol wd-40 on everything i can find and replace fuses (they are cheap anyway) and hope for the best. i will (Lord willing) have it ready for the water by sun. afternoon. thanks for all of the advice.

16. crackers

crackers New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I would stary at my battery connection,(with battery disconnected). take and check your wiring from there all the way to your fuse panel and look for any signs of water, get a hair dryer and use it to dry any water from your connections, be careful and dont get it too hot but just enough to evaporate the water. same thing with your fuse panel, check around each fuse, and fuse connections for any trace of water, if you suppect any water use the hair dryer to get it hot enough to evaperate the water out of it also. then go to your wireing harness and check for any cracks and water in those cracks. Do the same to those with the hair dryer. the get you some liquid tape and apply some on every crack that is exposed. ( make sure there not shorted to any other wires and if they are use some rubber tape around the exposed wires then use the liquid tape). then go to each of your electronics and check if they were exposed to water getting in side if you think they have use the hair dryer very carefully and dry out those also. be careful and dont get them too hot but just enough to dry them out also. ( water and electric do not mix it causes the magic smoke to appear from you gadgets and they dont work any more.) Hope this helps cheers jerry

17. bigwhiskers

bigwhiskers New Member

State:
    Elon, North Ca
    Howdy Chunker,
    We use a product called "Ozene" at the plant and it is for drying out circuit boards, fuse blocks, etc. Spray all of these as well as any terminals and exposed wire with the stuff and see if it works. Just might. It also works well for salt oxidation on terminals.
    Good luck Bro,
    Bigwhiskers

18. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I've had this happen a few times. Now i just remember to leave the plug out of the back so if any water does get in it will drain out as in comes in. Just don't forget to put it back in before you head out the next time.lol

19. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    all is well with the world again. mostly.

i cleaned up and dried off everything. i ended up replacing some of the wire terminals/leads/ whatchacallem's. i also had to replace 2 in-line fuses that come off of the battery. but, everything looks good as new, and runs even better. i actually got to take it out yesterday afternoon for a couple of hours. heck, i even cought a few crappie up in the cypress stumps.

the only problem i have now is ... the trolling motor. i ran into a submerged stump with the trolling motor wide open. i can hear and feel the motor running, but the prop is barely spinning, if it spins at all. i am thinking that maybe a trolling motor is like an outboard. and i just sheered a pin in the shaft. any advice on that would be helpful. dont really wanna go buy another one right now.

thanks to all of you for your advice. it helped a bunch.

J.D.

20. catfishingham

catfishingham New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Baitchunker, If you are on the water and have water
    in the boat "and motor will run", you should be able to pull plug, run
    boat and water will drain out the back.
    Install plug on inside, (with a chain or line attached so it can't
    be lost, and can be found easily). Also make sure nothing is in
    the way so you can reach it in an emergancy !! :0a26:

Catfishingham