Boat engine

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by seahaggy, Apr 14, 2009.

1. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Since the boat engine repair sight did not answer my question i will ask my fellow Kentucky fisherman. I have a 1990 30 hp evinrude tiller style motor that starts runs good for around 10 seconds or so then starts to cough , sneeze and dies. Before winter i unhooked the tank and let the motor run till it was out of gas to leave none in the carb. I put stablizer in the remaining gas left in the tank. I went ahead and ordered a carb rebuild kit but was wondering if any of you guys have run across this and am im heading in the right direction to fix my problem..Thanks very much for your help. :0a22:

2. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Not familiar with the model, But I would check the fuel bowl if it has one. even though you ran it out of gas if it has a fuel bowl there would have been some fuel that was left in the bowl. It may have turned to varnish and causing you problem. If that's no help then look at the elericial parts sounds like you might have a loose connection that vibrating or maybe something thats warming up and causing the problem. Let us know what you learn. I'm not familiar with the newer motors at all. So I hope this is of some help.

3. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I'd check the fuel line, I had one do this, and the flap in the bulb had gone screwy. I just replaced the whole line and it was OK. Later Andy

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Just take the easy way out and rebuild the carb(s). You never get all the fuel out of the system by running the motor until it quits. May think you do, but it leaves a small amount which easily turns to lacquer and fouls the carbs. Best bet, if your gonna go to the trouble, is to remove the screw at the bottom of the carb bowl and let it drain that way. Put the screw somewhere safe for about a day, then put it back in the carb.

5. taffer

taffer New Member

State:
    indana
    sounds like you have a fuel pump going bad.

6. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    I always put the fuel stabilizer in my gas and run it through the engine before storing for winter and mine has always started and run fine.

7. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    hey man the guy i bought my boat from let it sit for over a year,well it started and ran for about 15mins then quit we got it going again but it ran like half speed took it to shop and the carbs were fouled by sitting with gas all that time. carbs had to be redone it cost me 400.00 for 3.hope this helps.:smile2:

8. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    :0a31: Thanks for the answers.I thought it might be fuel related and the carb kit was only $16 bucks.I am going to do the work myself or try. Any advice on this rebuild job would be much appreciated. Can i use seafoam to clean the parts????

9. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    man your on your own their i know nothing:smile2:

10. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    i would use regular carb cleaner if it was me ;but then i got one of my son,s freinds that works on them all the time to do mine ,so i wouldn,t screw it up :wink:

11. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Seems as though I have heard somewhere to NOT use automotive Carb Cleaner on your outboard carbs. Don't know why they would say that though. You just gotta make sure you completley disassemble the carbs and not leave any rubber or plastic components in the carb. Maybe Bubbakat will come along and clue us in... LOL

FOUR HUNDREd DOLLARS to rebuild three carbs. Man o man, I've saved myself thousands of dollars and didn't even know it. LOL

12. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    yep he is high does good work get your boat back fast thats only time i use him i have another marinea that does work for me he is very reasonable,but you don't know when you will get your boat back:roll_eyes:

13. jogle1023

jogle1023 New Member

State:
    Shepherdsville
    Yes your right dont use automotive carb cleaner. Go to your local autozone and get carb dip cleaner and take your carbs apart. let them soak in that overnight and then another day on a towel. After that put it all back together making sure all your jets are clean. Then you should be good to go. FYI every winter you should let your motor run and spray fogging oil in the carbs until it dies then you wont have problems like this. It only cost about 8.00 a can. Good luck and rememeber how you took them apart. Let me know if you need any help I will do my best to guide you thru it.

14. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    the best advice I can give is to catfish during the spring and summer...then duckhunt all winter!!! My boat maybe sits for a month or two max then she is up and running again. Definately sounds carb to me, of course whenever my engines dont run right it has always been the carb(s)

Good Luck!
    Bill

15. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Funny how those things mess up. I bought a manual on the motor or motors it covers several years. Looks really detailed on carbs , there adjustments and alot of other cool stuff. Someone around home here mentioned "reeds" could be broke or chipped. "Reeds"????? Guess i'll stick to the carb first. I will let you guys know the results. I have always enjoyed doing my own work and with the help from you guys and the manual i see no problems.

16. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    man i'm glad its you not me i know nothing about the carbs i would have enough parts left over to rebuild another one:smile2:

17. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Marshal
    I think I saw an article in the members library about rebuilding carbs. hope this helps.

18. RRRKKK

RRRKKK New Member

State:
    Quincy IL
    I would try a tankfull of seafoam treated fuel, might be surprised at what happens! Don't get crazy clogged carbs are the number one cause of a seized piston. Everyone thinks it's caused by water pump problems and they do their share of damage. But lean out a cylinder and you will seize it.

19. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    guess your sure the vent is open, and after your sure of that ya pump up the primer bulb till it firms up and if ya keep a grip on it it stays firm your good, if it doesn't ya got a possible air/fuel leak somewhere in the fuel line, my old Suzuki did the same thing yous is doing and turned out to be a bad fuel line, had a very small crack at the hose clamp couldn't see any fuel leak had just an air leak, first thing I would do is replace the fuel line primer bulb assembly, think I paid like $15 for one that was something near 15' long used to carry them at wally world not sure about that any more

20. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I looked at the place where he goes over rebuilding of carbs. I think i can, i think i can, i think i can, or sure as hell gonna try. All i have on my engine is just one carb, least i can't screw up two or three of them. Got the kit this morning so away we go.