boat enclosure

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Bill in SC, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Today, I got some aluminum from the scrap yard to frame up my boat enclosure. :smile2: Total cost thus far, $6.50. The channel type material I got is in 10 foot lengths, and has rounded edges. It also fits my top rail nicely, and should be easy to attach or remove as a portable unit, when needed. The enclosure will be six feet long by the width of the beam of my boat which is a full seven feet. I want to put a door on each end, and some sort of windows on each side. Since I am using aluminum for weight issues, I may could actually weld some old aluminum storm windows in it, and might could cut down some old aluminum storm doors for the ends. Lots to consider when constructing this. It needs to be high enough to be able to get in and out of comfortably, yet low enough to be able to see over when navigating the boat. Also need to consider easy anchor throwing and retrieving. I plan to use some sort of tarp or canvas to cover it, so I can roll it up when transporting the boat, or when I need air movement in the summer time. I guess we will just build it one piece at the time, until it materializes. Just wanna get it right the first time. It took us three tries to get the trolling bar right, and it was a pain to redo it each time. Gonna be a cool project, and should definitely turn some heads when completed. :eek:oooh::crazy::eek:oooh:

Bill in SC

Attached Files:

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro

3. flatheadsalyer1

flatheadsalyer1 New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Bill, looks like you got that bad boy figured out! Keep us posted with updates and picks! I have enjoyed seeing your posts about your boat. Glad to see I aint the only one on here that redneck rigs to save a dollar!! lol. With this Obama economy we gonna need to do all we can to save a buck.

4. PeeDee Cat

PeeDee Cat Member

State:
    SC
    Bill it will be a nice setup when U get it completed. If U need some alum. welded let me know.
    PEEDEE CAT

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <Glad to see I aint the only one on here that redneck rigs to save a dollar!! lol. With this Obama economy we gonna need to do all we can to save a buck.>

You got that right, Steve!!!!

<If U need some alum. welded let me know.>

Thanks, Greg, but we have a high frequency aluminum setup. Welds like butter!

BB

6. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
  7. PeeDee Cat

PeeDee Cat Member

State:
    SC
    Thats the only way to weld it. HF with a water rig.
    PEEDEE CAT

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    It will definitely be for year round fishin'. It will be quarters for fishin' rough weather, and sleepin' quarters for long hot summer nights. I'm sure it won't be as elaborate as your SeaArk though! :eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh: That's some fine work there!

BB in SC

9. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Why thank you, it's just something I 'threw' together. LMAO!!!:smile2::smile2::smile2:

Good luck on your project, sounds interesting.

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Do you have a photo of the exterior shape/design?

BB in SC

11. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    :0a10::0a10::0a10:Ummmm.....well.....sort of.....somewhere around here.

Can't find it at the moment!:roll_eyes:

I'll get back to ya.

12. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thanks! I posted a while back for folks to post up their enclosures, but didn't get many hits on it. I anxiously await to see yours, but no rush on ya.

BB in SC

13. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    that sounds like a good project Im curious to see it finished, keep us posted

14. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Hey Bill Check this one out,I seen this one on a crappie site,just thought I would share,maybe you can get an idea or two.He says his only weighs 110 lbs.

Attached Files:

15. bassgasm2002

bassgasm2002 New Member

State:
    sc
    wow those r alot sleeker than the last model we built. it was all square tubing and plexiglass. it was very warm but i felt like the pope! aerodynamics were crap too.

16. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    W-O-W, Marty! That enclosure is as slick as snot on a doorknob! That is EXACTLY what I would like to build, but mounted on the front of my boat instead of the rear. I was thinking of the leaning front for the aerodynamic aspect too. I'M sure ours won't be that extravagant, as we will be using inexpensive scrap material. Will definitely try to do it tastefully though. Will refer to that pic often as we build! THANKS! BTW: Since this enclosure will be for year around use, I will HAVE to have removable, or roll up sides due to our intense summer heat.

Bill in SC

17. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Forget where I seen it anymore but somebody did a nice job by enclosing their SeaArk. All aluminium framing, with aliminium sheeting over it with plexiglass windows all around. Bolted onto the gunnels and he'd remove it for summer fishing. Now if I could find that site again it would help. He had pictures of the fabricating process, start to finish. Turned out really good.

Got me thinking about it, just haven;t got it out of the thinking process yet. Will be curious how you do yours Bill.

18. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Man, that's almost 'Bond-ish' ain't it? Knocks the cormorants out of the way, too, I bet. :crazy:

19. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I've seen Skips enclousure. It has a big Deck off the back.

20. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I hope that it turns out good for ya Bill! Im interested in seeing the turn out.