Boat Drain Plug

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Ace, May 20, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    Have you ever put your boat in the water and forgot to put the drain plug in.
    It hard to get the boat back on the trailer with it full of water since water weighs over 8lb per gallon.What.

:eek:h:

:cat:

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Yes I have! Did it once with my john boat. Never knew I could back up a trailer about 50 yards so fast. LOL!

3. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm afraid I've done it a few times.... only a couple did my feet get wet.:embarrassed_2:

4. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I just fire em up and take off. Water runs out quickly and then you can retrailer/put plug in. I had one come out and was fishing wondering what that noise was. Looked back and the water was quickly rising. I ran back fired her up and took off. I alway carry a spare plug and once she was dry I replugged and kept fishing. I have also sunk one completly and had to winch it out. I am glad no one was around. Never put my firewood in a boat again. Never did have a decent fire the whole trip.

5. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Yep, I did it once and it was well below freezing during duck season. Never again. That trick of running the water out of the boat while it is running don't work on boats that you can't access the plug from the inside though.

6. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Nope, never done it, but got blamed for it once. :ah: :after_boom:

7. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yep I've been there and done that. Found out the bilge pump worked great!:crazy:

8. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
    I left it in once after I had the boat on the trailer and was driving home. Hit a heck of a thunderstorm on the way. Boy, who knew rain would collect so fast in a boat!

9. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    yep, me and a buddy did that with his boat. We just ran it aground, after we realized what was happening.:smile2: Quite the adventure.

10. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Years ago I bought a boat that had 2 plugs, and call my brother to go with me on the first ride, he ask if I put the plug in and I said yes, as it turned out after I parked the trailer he was standing on the bank and the boat was a 3rd full of water,but after we fired it up it took what seemed like for ever to suck the water out and put in the other plug. I thought the 2nd plug was a spare, WRONG!

11. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I just took on water the other day, got to my favorite spot (3miles from the landing) and after dropping anchors and casting my rod, about 10mn notice water in the corner of my deck. Oh oh :eek:oooh:
    I can reach where the plug goes in on the exterior, lock the plug in and fired up the bilge which hadnt run in over a year. (took a bit to prime).
    Drained all water in about 10 mn. :smile2:
    I use a 19ft lund pike (converted to cat).
    thanks
    Larry

12. brushpile

brushpile New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    When I was a kid, my first boat was a 15' alumaweld flat bottom that my grandpa gave me when I was in 7th grade. When too much water accumulated from pulling up anchors, spilling minnow buckets, running nets, etc..., I would pull the plug, take off and run the water out of the boat.

I had a Lowe boat a few years ago that's similar to the boat I have now and it has the metal deck on a hinge that covers your batteries and fuel. If you forget to put the plug in a boat like that, it makes it hard to put the plug in while running down the lake unless you have a buddy who can double as a stuntman!!!!!