Boat docks sinking!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by fishnfool68, Jan 18, 2007.

1. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    The local news said some boat docks at the local lakes hit by ice were sinking.The weight of the ice was too much for them.They said with the forcast of heavey snows this weekend ,the problem will prob get worse.

2. catfishcrazyjr

catfishcrazyjr New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    flathead cover this summer!!!!

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I like your thinking,LMAO!!! A good catfisherman always looks at the bright side!!!

Although it is a shame that they weren't strong enough to hold up to mother nature!!!

4. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    That really suprises me, these must be very small docks, or were in poor condition to begin with maybe? A boat dock that would support say 5 people, that is 1000 lbs, it takes a LOT of ice to make 1000lbs.

I feel for you guys!:eek:oooh: We had that here a couple of years ago.

5. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Only takes 16cuf. to make 1000lbs of ice. And from what I've heard, there was 6-9'" of ice in NE Ok. Figure that the docks are covered, and 16' wide by 24' long. You're looking at 384 square feet of of 6" ice coverage, which translates into an additional 11977lbs of ice. At 9" thick, the weight would be 17966lbs. And this is not taking into account of ice buildup due to wave action.
    Will

6. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Well...it looks like Will, didn't fall alseep in math class. :smile2: That's a lot of weight. I saw driving to Arkansas this past week and going down the Muskogee Turnpike you can see all the tree's that have be broken or limbs all the way to the ground from the weight of the ice on those limbs. There has to be a tremondous amount of weight to break limbs that you can't even put your arms around.

7. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    The worse ice storm to hit AR since 1819 happen in late Dec 2000. During this time there was 1 to 2 inches of ice. It snapped large pine trees like tooth picks and up rooted even more. Also took the tops out oaks and snapped power poles. It doesn't take a lot of ice due to its weight to do an enormous amount of damage.
    I can see how floating boat docks could sink from ice. We'll never have that problem for ours is setting on post.

8. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    Here is some news on this from grand lake. The big marina where the cherokee queen docks at is partly submerged right now and this is no small dock we are talking about 60' long slips at this point. also over at indian hills one of the docks there is about 3/4 sunl from the ice and smashing at least 3 of the pontoon boats that are moored up in the slips. I think it was the channel 6 news out of tulsa that showed a dock that was fairly good sized almost completly underwater here on grand lake. thank goodness the snow missed us last night.