boat docks fish attractants

Discussion in 'Catfishing Library' started by slabmaster, May 21, 2008.

1. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    We have a 3 stall enclosed boat dock on Ft. Gibson Lake. Our dock has been sitting in the same place for 45 yrs. When people find out you have a dock eventually you hear 2 things. The first is "can i fish there?" and the second is I'll save my christmas tree for you. We let a guy fish of the dock a few years back and I went down to fish one day when he was there, when I showed up on the dock there were empty feed sacks laying around. After asking a few questions I found that he had taken burlap sacks and filled them full of range cubes and droped them in the water. It took a year to get rid of the carp around the dock. With all that said, there are only 2 kinds of attractants we put in our dock. 1 is cedar trees and the other is square bailed alfalfa hay. If you use hay you need to throw the hay in the water for atleast a week before you try to sink it otherwise your gonna need a bunch of weight. Alfalfa works well but cedars are by far the best thing we have found. We have also found that you should thin the trees before you put them in. The best cedars are the ones you find growing in the shade of other trees. These cedars will have less greenery than the ones you see free standing in direct sunlight. I think thinner trees make it easier for crappie to move in to eat bait fish. To sink the trees we take one cement block and slide it up the trunk and tie it securely so that when you lower it in the water it will not slip and hang below the end of the trunk. This doesn't seem like a big deal but when the lake drops if the block is hanging down below the tree very far it will let the tree float up out of the depth you need to hold fish. In our dock most of the fish hold between 8 and 12 feet deep. We tie the trees to the dock mostly with size 72 twisted nylon. We tie directly to the tree about 2 ft from the top of the tree. Before we kick the tree in the water we tie it to the dock in the desired location, then enough rope to put the middle of the tree at 10 foot deep. This still gives plenty of cover for fish from 8 to 12 feet. To keep a dock loaded properly you should change your trees every 2 to 3 years. The other tip I have for boat dock owners is help your neighbors sink trees in there docks. There are several docks side by side where our dock is and the more of them that are properly baited benifits everyone. crappie roam to feed and when they dont have to roam very far they will be back sooner. Try it you'll like it.