Boat Dilemma

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by alands94, Jun 21, 2007.

1. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Illinois BOC brothers:
    Very recently I bought a used 15' semi V with a trailer. Both are in pretty good shape. Dad and I had the intention of spending a few days fixing it up and then taking it out on the water. This is our first boat and we were looking forward to setting it up to suit us. He doesn't get out of the house much, and this is something we could do together. As luck would have it, my work schedule has exploded in the past week (which is good, financially speaking), but my dad's debilitating back problems have incapacitated him for an indefinite period of time. So now we have a nice boat, barely used 1999 25 hp Mercury motor and trailer, with one owner bedridden and the other working ridiculous hours. I would like to keep the boat, but I don't have the time or knowledge to finish EVERYTHING. We really need someone who has experience hooking up the electrical system on a boat (outboard, trolling motors, depth finder. etc.). We are also having wiring 'issues' with the trailer (if you really want the details, shoot me a PM). If you know of anyone who has a little time and knows what they are doing, it would be greatly appreciated. I am certainly willing to pay someone for the time and knowledge (cha ching!), or simply take them fishing.
    Thanks!
    P.S. The boat is in Mascoutah.

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Get it down here and keep your moeny in your pocket other then parts.

3. howards

howards New Member

State:
    IL.
    I could do it for you if you were closer to me. Or drive down someday and I will fix it for you.

4. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hi Aaron, I also used to live in Mascoutah, back in the 70's when I was in the USAF. The trailer wiring is pretty straight forward, just take off all of the old wire, and buy a loom to fit at most parts stores. The wiring for a trolling motor is also an easy fix if your buying a new one, the diagram is easy to read and has nice pics also.LOL Or it's 232 miles from Mascoutah to Keokuk, Iowa. and if you can get it here I'll do it for you. Good luck. Later Andy

5. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Thanks for the advice and PM's. I finally got the trailer wiring figured out. As it turns out, there was an issue with the 7-4 flat adapter on my truck which we diagnosed with a multimeter. My splicing/wiring job was actually correct. An electrician buddy of mine is coming over this weekend to redo the boat wiring. After doing some research and reading all of your suggestions, if doesn't seem too bad.

6. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    Hi Aaron, I,m a boat mechanic by trade. I live near Dubois, and work at Lakeside Boat and Motor in Mt Vernon. Are you going to the gathering at Rend on July 13th? If you still have issues I can help you out. You can call Lakeside B&M 242-2600 and ask for me. I'll be on vacation at Rend Lake from June 30th through July 6th. The problems you described are everyday problems for me.