Boat crash on Mo.'s Current River kills 2

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by poopdeck [patrick], Jul 6, 2009.

1. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    The Associated Press DONIPHAN, Mo. -- Two people from Poplar Bluff are dead after two boats collided on the Current River in southeast Missouri.

The Missouri State Water Patrol on Monday identified the victims as 11-year-old Jerry Mote and 25-year-old Josh Burson.

Both were passengers on johnboats that collided about 3:30 p.m. Sunday while traveling in opposite directions on the river near Doniphan, just north of the Arkansas border.

The cause of the crash was under investigation, but the water patrol said the collision was unavoidable. A spokesman said the river at the accident site is shallow and swift.

Jerry's body was found Monday a half-mile downstream from the site. Burson's body was recovered Sunday.

2. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    That is just too bad. My prayers are with their families.

3. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Bad deal prayers to their families

4. buckdoe270

buckdoe270 New Member

State:
    Overland, Mo
  5. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Man you have really been ferreting these stories out lately, Patrick.

BTW, I think this water patrol officer should be on permanent parking ticket duty. Every boating accident is avoidable.

6. Mr Okie

Mr Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Texas
    Prayers for the families here. More reasons for everyone to respect the water and other boaters.

7. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    That sad i ahte to hear that.My prayer go out to their families.

8. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    :sad2: prayers for thier families

9. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    That is sad. Unavoidable???

10. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    By Carolyn Tuft
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    07/06/2009

A 25-year-old Poplar Bluff man was killed Sunday when two boats crashed in the Current River in Doniphan, Mo., according to the Missouri State Water Patrol.

The man -- Josh Burson -- died at 4 p.m. Sunday. Divers found his body shortly after the 3:30 p.m. crash near Whorley's Rock in the Current River in Ripley County, according to the patrol.

A child -- Jerry Mote, 11, also of Poplar Bluff -- is still missing after falling into the river during the crash. Two others were injured.

The patrol reported that a 2005 Blazer utility boat driven by Radeena Proffer, 27, also of Poplar Bluff, was headed downstream when it struck a 2003 Blazer utility boat driven by Chad Mikel, 27, also of Poplar Bluff.

The 2005 boat hit the 2003 boat port side, the patrol said.

Injured in the crash were Proffer, who was taken to Ripley County Memorial Hospital with moderate injuries, Michelle Lafferty, 32, also of Poplar Bluff, who was taken to the Elvis Presley Trauma Center in Memphis with serious injuries, and Michael Preslar, 34, of Poplar Bluff who suffered a minor injury.

Burson leaves behind a wife, Lorie Burson, of Poplar Bluff.

11. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    Some parts of that river are really narrow and have some sharp corners that you can not see around very well. If they came around the corner both at the same time there was probably not much they could do.

This is the reason we don't take our boat on the current anymore.

12. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    My prayers go to the family, If you cant see around a corner, you dont need to be flying around it.

13. shawn 314

shawn 314 New Member

State:
    st. louis
    I want there luv 1's 2 know that i'll keep them lifted up in my prayers and may god bless the situation

14. hillbilly25002000

hillbilly25002000 New Member

State:
    missouri
    prayers to the family:embarassed:

15. DANNYfrmINDY

DANNYfrmINDY New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Indiana
    That's crazy. I will keep the families in my thoughts and prayers.

I am actually going on a float trip just north of where the accident happened. I have been going for the last 3 years and this is the first time i have heard of a boat accident. Makes ya think.

16. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    I HAVE SPENT MANY HOURS ON THAT RIVER, MAYBE ONE OF MO. BEST RIVERS. BUT ITS A JET BOAT RIVER, ITS SO CLEAR YOU CAN SEE EVERY ROCK IN IT. THE LADY THAT HIT THE OTHER BOAT HAS BEEN CHARGED WITH MAN SLAUGHTER, I WAS IN DONIPHAN TODAY AND ASK ABOUT WHAT HAPPEN, THEY TOLD ME THAT SHE COULDN'T STAND UP AT THE WRECK..... DRUNK OR DOPE. THERE IS ONE OR TWO WRECKS A YR. MOST ARE TO MUCH SPEED, THEN YOU HAVE A SAD THING LIKE THIS . IVE SAID IT MANY TIMES, IF YOUR IN MY BOAT YOU CAN DRINK BUT YOU CANT DRIVE THE BOAT, IF I'M IN YOUR BOAT AND YOUR DRINKING , TAKE ME TO THE RAMP. DON'T HAVE ANYTHING AGAINST DRINKING AT ALL JUST NOT BEHIND ANY WHEEL.

17. BajaCoop

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    yeah I either go fishing or go drink beer not both.

especially on a river like the Miss. even if you are not driving the boat you need to have your wits about you.

18. hillbilly25002000

hillbilly25002000 New Member

State:
    missouri
    thats why i gladly stand up and offer to be the designated boater/driver that way they can drink and be safe while im drivin

19. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Does it strike anyone weird that they were both driving the same boat? Maybe not if it's that kind of river. I've never heard of them before but I found the website and they all look like go-fast jon boats with jet outboards. I've never seen the river so I don't know nothin.

20. BajaCoop

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    prolly half or better of the boats on the current are blazer boats.

They are made in a town right by the river.