Boat Covers

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Little Mac, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    I am asking for opinions on boat covers that are trailerable. I know there are some real high dollar covers out there. But has anyone used the covers that are sold at walmart. I believe they have a 3 year warranty and only cost around $50. Anyone use one? Tell me what you think of yours Please. Thanks Mac

2. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Im just overwhelmed with the responses, I just cant keep up. :smile2: Dont all jump at once. Surely out of all the folks on this site Somebody surely has a walmart towable boat cover, and I know there are alot of opinions out there on a million other subjects. Whats up?

3. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    I have a trailerable canvas cover sold by boatcoversdirect.com. I use it to cover and protect my 1648 Alumacraft NCS. I mostly use it when leaves are falling or I get kicked out of the carport. To be honest I don't cover my boat when towing much at all so I can't help you much.

Generally speaking cheap covers are just that, CHEAP. I paid around 200.00 for my cover. I would be willing to bet a 50.00 cover just might turn to threads at 60 MPH after a few trips.

:eek:oooh:

JMHO

YMMV

4. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    get a good one! the sun and 60 mph and it will torn to shreds

5. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    I got a custom-cover for my 20/72 course it was part of a package deal when i bought it new....but then again i cant tell ya how good it is cause i couldn't keep my boat out of the shop long enough to un-roll it!!:tounge_out::eek:oooh: However it is expensive Jim about 450.00 cover....but it is custom fit for the boat...I saw the ones on clearance at wal-mart cant tell ya really...but the return is good for 90days:tounge_out::wink: I did have them un-roll it and adjust the straps last time i picked it up!!! it fits fine!!!!

6. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    i have a pretty cheap one from cabelas.. it works fine for covering the boat while sitting etc... but i would never think about leaving it on to transport the boat... I really don't think you can unless you get one custom made, they just aren't going to hold up to the abuse.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I'm planning on making a boat cover from a tarp and some pvc, but just for storage. Can't see any real advantage to keeping it on while towing, and from what I've seen while driving down the road, leaving a cover on a boat while towing it is just asking for it to tear up and/or blow off. Since I load my boat before leaving .home, I'd have to remove the cover, load the boat, replace the cover, drive to the ramp, remove the cover, launch the boat, fish, load the boat onto the trailer, replace the cover, drive home, remove the cover, unload the boat, replace the cover. I'd rather just remove the cover, do everything, then replace the cover to store the boat. But then, I'm lazy; I'll admit it.

8. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    I don't have the Wal-Mart cover but for $50 I seriously doubt that it is much better than a blue tarp. I have a semi-custom cover from coversdirect.com
    I don't see the need to trailer with my cover on but it is capable.

9. Jaylake_21

Jaylake_21 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I got one for my jon boat from Walmart. It really wasnt that good. I ended up getting a long board, and putting it from the front seat to the back seat in order to get the water to drain. Even then, it would hold water, and the tarp actually ended up tearing. I had it maybe 5 months. Just my 2 cents.

10. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    I use a 12 X 24' tarp from Lowes, it last about 18 to 20 some months and cost less than $40. Grey one side and silver the other.

11. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Thanks guys, I really wondered how they held up during travel. I only wanted it for long trips. Sounds like it aint worth it unless I buy a custom made one. I would just not be able to justify that cost. I use tarps here at home until I get my boat shed built. on another boat I had I made a pvc framework and covered it with a tarp. it still trapped water and tore the tarp. Thank you all for your reply's it is very appreciated in helping me make a decision. :wink:

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I'm going to make a little A-frame to hang the tarp on so water won't accumulate. I had a wooden one on another boat one time, and it worked great.

13. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    my dad bought one from wal-mart 2 years ago and it is still on his boat but you get what you pay for too. His has went from white to moss green from weather two of the straps have dry rotton and broke and he has a read hard time keeping the cover tight enough to keep it from holding rain water. and because he did not buy the support rods to go with it it flaps realy bad on the road so he has never pulled it to far because of that.but in the up side if he would buy those rods I think the cover would tighen up enough to keep water off and would ride down the road fine given he's not driven 80 mph.

14. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I had one from wallyworld and it was'nt worth a flip to me it was money thowed away :eek:oooh:

15. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    I used one of those cheap ones from walmart. It lasted about a year before the sun and rain tore it up. :angry_2:

16. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    always used the trailerable ones. I got mine from gander Mountain. Think it cost $99 or in there some where. The last one I had lasted 4 years and gave it to a friend when I got my new boat. It helps far as drag when traveling with it. I can tell a difference when pulling it at highway speeds with it on and with it off. So the trailerable covers do have other advantages besides keeping the snow leaves and junk out.