boat cooker

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Bill in SC, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I was at the scrap yard today, and spied a stainless beer keg, for 35 cents a pound. Told the guy I wanted to make a cooker out of it for my boat. He said "Don't bother, come to my house and get one I already have made up." He said someone brought it to the scrap yard and he bought it and took it home. It's never been cooked in! It needs a little tweaking, but is solid stainless with a new gas burner. All I have to do is cut off the stand it's on and put a pedestal on it to go on the front of my boat. I have been wanting to get me a cooker on board. It can double as a heater on frigid days!

BB in SC

Attached Files:

2. santeefishhunter

santeefishhunter New Member

State:
    north caro
    I'll bring the steaks!

3. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    Starting something new huh!, Tailboating. I like it

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Kaboooom!
    You heared that Earl?
    Yeap. Sounded like thunder. Theys calling for rain today Billy?

5. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    So you doing the cooking this weekend???:big_smile::cool2::big_smile::cool2:

6. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    Wow Bill, I like your thinkin. It's even got a vent on it! Yehaw!! Nothin better than good que. ^5's to ya. Bet it will cook up a storm too. Congrats on a good find.

:cool2:

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    BTW: The best part about the deal was TWENTY bucks for it! No, Ronnie, it won't be mounted by this weekend as I will be on the tractor all week. (until Friday) :) Tailboating? I like that... but then, it would have to be mounted to the stern to be a true tailboater! Then Mark's kaboom theory might come into play, being as the fuel tanks are in the rear.!! That would technically be "aftgating", which might not be wise. I'll stick to "foregating". :wink:

Bill in SC

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Not only the boat fuel tanks but that propane tank.
    If you got a propane leak at the tank she is going to lay inside that hull just like pump gas fumes.

An open flame on a pontoon boat has never concerned me much but cooking in a hull has. Be careful.
    I'd note where my hull vents and fuel tank vents are.

9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Good advice, and I thank you. I will sit the tank on the casting deck when cooking. BTW: I could easily remove the burner and convert it to charcoal. As with everything I have, it's a work in progress. :smile2: Also, I have no hull vents or enclosed areas. It's an open skiff.

Bill in SC

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  10. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    bill a little friendly advice leave the stove on the truck take sandwitches on the water if you want heet get a small heater you dont need to be cooking on the boat you need all that room to catch fish or get a house boat the roundhill

11. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I don blame 'em roundhill... he's gotta be sick of eatin' those beeny weenys.
    sides, Every blunt needs fire in the end of it anyway...

12. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    You are a nut!!!:crazy:
    One other thing that is worth mentioning here. Using propane heaters in closed spaces is not smart! The carbondioxide created when using such devices can build up to toxic levels if not vented properly. Carbondioxide is odorless, tasteless and invisible. You would doze off to sleep and never wake up! Bill...........BE CAREFUL!!!:wink:

13. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    This always happens to me when I am trying to play online at work, when I should be working at work. Atleast my mistake is here instead of with a patient!:crazy::embarassed: I should have posted Carbon Monoxide not Carbon Dioxide. There is a huge difference, sorry!!:embarassed: Here is a link to more information concerning the dangers of using heaters the wrong way. Just want to make sure the facts are straight so no one looses ann eye or something!:wink: Carbon Dioxide

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  14. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    LOL!! I did not fall off the cabbage truck yesterday, and know all about carbon monoxide!! :smile2: Keep in mind that this little cooker is PORTABLE, and will only be used when camping on a sandbar, or a several day wildcat venture on the water. It won't even be on the boat but occasionally. I promise NOT to blow myself up, NOT to get carbon monoxide poisoning, NOR take up any valuable fishin' space on the Blunt. I sincerely appreciate all the concern for my safety! :cool2: Now, let's go fishin' and have a steak!! :wink:

Bill in SC

15. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Beenie weenies are better when warmed! :)

BB

16. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    .... or havent eaten in 3 or 4 days- lol

17. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Ugh, man, I don't see how you eat those things cold. :smile2: Yeah, a nice, rare, steak would have been good on the nights we were out. It'd have to be well done for Dad though.

18. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    i think the nautically correct term for that would be "foc'slegating":wink:

19. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Cookin on a sand bar is good, not in a boat that could rock.

Tried it. Thought I was out of the way, in a protected area, and here comes somebody's wake.

20. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Nice find bro...