Boat Control/Anchoring

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by alands94, Jun 8, 2007.

1. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    BOC brothers and sisters: I have a multifacted question about boat control and anchoring. First, I have very little experience with boat fishing - I am alifelong bank fisherman. The few times I have been out in a boat, it has been in a 14-16' flat bottom jonboat. For whatever reason, we have ALWAYA had problems anchoring. It is extremely hard to detect bites when the boat swings back and forth and all around when the wind blows. We have tried using one anchoring, letting out various lengths of rope, anchoring straight down, using 2 anchors (one off the front and one off the back of the boat, etc.). The boats come with 15-40# weights, usually concrete filled 1/2 bleach bottles or similar material. Are we not anchoring correctly, not using enough weight, or is it the boat? I already checked the BOC library and found a little info., but I really need something more specific. Also - I am seriously looking at buying a boat for smaller rivers/lakes. Would a pontoon boat be a good choice (ie. would it allow better anchoring control?). Any and all suggestions appreciated. THANK YOU!!!

2. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I am new here, and I am a female. So, with that in mind, I'll share what I've found works.

I enjoy fishing from a 16' flat bottom jon although what I do has worked with quite a few boats I've had the pleasure of fishing from.

I use two fluke style anchors. With the jon, I only need the smaller ones.

I will throw my back anchor about 50' before I get to the spot I'm wanting to fish. I'll troll until it takes hold pretty good. Then I troll on up past my spot by about 50 feet letting the back anchor rope go out. Throw the front anchor, letting it hit bottom and then a little (maybe another 10-15' of rope). Tie it off. When I get back to my seat, I'll pull the back anchor until both are tight and tie it off.

I do a lot of fishing at night and there are a few times I've had to do this twice to get a good hold, but it's worth it in being able to detect the bite.

When a big boat goes by me throwing a wake, I might rock some, but I don't come loose.

I think it's one of the most important things for me in being successful in being able to tell when a fish bites. Plus I absolutely hate a swinging boat when I'm set up with several poles out.

Good luck!

3. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    Depending on your anchor type, one important feature is the anchor chain. I use two mushroom "river anchor" style but there are several types that work just as well. Mine are like the standard mushroom anchor with cut outs to help the grip the mud.
    Attach a 3' to 4' length of chain to the anchor. Then attach your anchor rope to the chain. Let out 2 to three times as much rope as the water is deep. In 20' of water let out 60' of rope. When you pull against the anchor to set it the chain will be lying on the bottom and will turn the anchor over and allow it to bite into the mud, sand or rocks on the bottom.
    Just as stated above set one anchor, slack off on the rope, and move in the other direction to set the opposite anchor. Once both anchors are set you can tighten the ropes. If you just drop an anchor over the side and pull the rope tight the anchor will sit on the bottom upright. Every swell and breeze will lift the anchor a little off the bottom and allow the anchor to slide and your boat to pivot and move.

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Laura, being new, or being female, is not a handicap. Experience and ability are what count. Welcome to the BOC. :smile2:

5. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Here is a link for putting out anchors hope it helps:

http://www.boat-ed.com/images/animations/anchoring.html

6. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,

A pontoon is an excellent fishing platform but harder to keep still at anchor (more catch points for the wind) Draw a picture of how you've anchored before and you will see how each way you have described has ways for wind and wave to affect you. I have two fluke anchors, a mushroom, and a drift bucket on board. In a river with current I place a fluke anchor 50 feet in front of where I want the front of the boat or if it is a calm day I'll throw one out to the left and one to the right and hold one rope in each hand letting it tighten up and releasing anchor line with each hand until the desired hold or "grab" is made. In current I toss out a drift bucket (5 gal bucket with 1" holes (5) cut in the bottom, rope tied to drill holes in side of bucket (not handle) about 5-10 feet out of the back of the boat. What you have created if a triangle of holding points. In a lake or no current situation I place one anchor, set it, and then motor diagonally forward and drop the second, back off both of them and then drop the mushroom over the back to prevent sway, or if I am nose to the wind I will use the drift bucket. Of course the easy way is to nose the boat into shore or tie off to a snag. :wink:

7. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    The boats that we've used have been rentals as part of a fishing package. It is obviously cheaper for them to provide half a bleach bottle or PVC pipe filled with concrete rather than a "real" anchor. Several of the guides fishing out of the resort use the same boats and concrete filled anchors and have no problems. After reading some of these suggestions, I will purchase and bring my own anchors (or bring my boat if/when I buy one). Thanks again to everyone for the advice.

8. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    I used two window weights tied together as an anchor for years with no problem.

If you want to increase the holding power of the bucket/bottle type anchor. Before you fill it with concrete drill a hole in each side that provides a tight fit for a piece of rebar. Insert the rebar and fill with the bucket/bottle with concrete. I experimented with angles for the rebar and found the angle that held the best for me.

It does not take much imagination to look at a commercial anchor and copy the basic design in homemade materials

9. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    heres what i use. i made these from from scrap metal that i went and bought at a scrap yard. they weight 30-35lbs each so they heavy enough to dig in on a soft bottom or they will grab hold in rocks. i anchor a 18 deep v anyway i want to in current. i anchor alot sideways to cover more area on my setups. there not easy to pull up but they hold. there is a lot of swaying with a flat bottom boat though. grabbing power is what you need. cost was around 50.00 for both. been using them for 2-3 years and havent lost one yet but did come close one time. im running a 100ft or 1/2 rope on each one. just pull up and drop one and let all the line out and drop the other and pull the boat back with the first one and tie them off. you have to keep a little preasure on them letting them out so the chain dont slide down and pull the anchor backwards. the chain slides down to allow retrieval. also i wrapped the hooks with duct tape ( once a year)to keep it from scratching the sides of my boat.

Attached Files:

10. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Thank you very much to all who offered advice. This really helps. I will make some anchors at home with concrete, PVC pipe, and rebar so it holds the bottom. I also now know how to anchor correctly. Thanks again!

11. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    If you anchor aligned with the wind and/or current, the boat will "hunt" constantly.

Try quartering into whatever the dominant force acting on the hull is, and as others have said, use two anchors.

Old disc brake rotors with a bit of chain welded on make pretty good anchors, and the price is right.

12. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    I have seen weeks when $15.00 was the difference between lunch that week or not or a little gas to get to work that morning. However, most of my life I have had access to free construction junk.

13. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana

Preach on brother!

14. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    On a related note, whats the best Knot to use for attaching to your anchor?

15. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    If you ever made a home made anchor you just might be a redneck.

LOL

:lol:

16. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas

Preach to the choir brother...lol

17. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    I use a 25# steel anchor on a 3/8 rope. Work good on the river. I only use one on the river. The current keep the boat straight.

18. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
  19. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    The money for the boat rental was not pocket change - it was an early fathers day gift for my dad. I believe I'll make my own redneck anchor. :big_smile:

20. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    You must be a Yankee. The technology is old and proven.

[​IMG]