Boat console

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by slimcat, Feb 28, 2006.

1. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    I really need some suggestions for a console for a 18' starcraft deep v boat. IS it best to buy one or to make one? If you make one, how and what would be the best thing to use.

2. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    well it would depend on how much you want to spend and how much time you want to spend. i know i would just buy one i dont have the time to build one. they are not all that expensive anymore for the most part. if you look on ebay or find some boat salvage yards in your area you can get a good deal on one you can make work and maybe even end up with some gauges.

3. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey Slim I dont know about in your area , but in mine it seems that alot of the boat dealers have a grave yard. I would bet you could find one there that you could make work for low cost. Other wise I would think making one wouldnt be that hard. I would use good grade ply wood and treated lumber to strengthen it. The coat it with some water sealer.

4. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Thanks guys for the replys. I will start searching the boat dealers and I think Ole J.W. Said he even had one. May have to work out a deal!!!

5. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    If you are looking to "upgrade" or "modify" your boat by adding a new console, don't limit yourself. Think outside the box so to speak. Go to your local salvage yard and go "Hmmm, what can I use for a unique, functional console"

6. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I would highly recomend e-bay! I have seen them go from $150.00! You can set ebay up so that they contac you when a "center console" is listed in "boat parts"! You can even set it within certain miles of where you live! I have also seen them on "craigslist"! The boat bone yards are as mentioned are also good!

7. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Slimcat,
    Are you adding or replacing? Do you want a single side console or a double to mount a walk-thro windshield on? The answer will obviously make a difference to what you look for at the salvage yard. As Tony said, think outside the box, maybe half of a double would be just what you need. Salvage will definately be cheaper but if you decide to make it the best materials by far are 6063 aluminum square tube for the frame and Starboard or similar for the panels. Bear in mind your steering mount and gauges if you get a salvage item, you may have to change the dash panel to get the layout you want. Don't forget to consider space for power buss and ground buss, fuse panel and switches...W

8. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Thanks Winston and Deltalover. I am looking for a side console, I have not found any on ebay as of yet. Thanks