Boat Console Question

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Catfishin247, May 8, 2008.

1. Catfishin247

Catfishin247 New Member

State:
    sc
    Hey Guys, I'm looking at getting a Lowe 14ft Model 1448 MV Big Jon 21" Sport.
    It comes with a Tohatsu 18 HP Motor. It's a side console model, so I'm wondering if this is overkill for this type of boat or does it beat the tiller steering out by a whole lot? I don't believe it forfeits to much room but I could be wrong. I was wondering if any of you guys have any experience with this model boat and could give me a general outline on this type of setup and what I could expect in the water. I'm not sure what kind of performance and stability this boat will offer. Thanks a lot.

2. shadmaster

shadmaster New Member

State:
    OK
    Don't know if that is overkill for that boat or not. I do know that a console or forward steering is a lot better than a tiller. After a days fishing with a tiller my shoulder was really burning. Don't like tillers at all.

3. OkieBo

OkieBo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I have a small 14ft boat w/18hp tiller i use for the smaller waters where i live. I dont mind the tiller in my small boat but i wished it was stick steering. The larger the tiller motor the harder on the shoulder! Also it is a little awkwards loading the boat on the trailer when high winds push it around even with drift boards.

4. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I've got a 25hp tiller on my 1448 jon boat. Wouldn't have it any other way. One less thing to trip over or get in the way. My boat steers pretty easily IMHO. I've ridden for hours on end without feeling like my arm was tired. When trying to maneuver at the ramp i feel that the tiller steers quicker because i dont hafta keep spinning the steering wheel, just push the motor where i wanna go. A console is not overkill on this size boat. What are you used to? I prefer my tiller, but if you are used to a console steer, you might not be happy with a tiller. Also, i'm 6' tall and some of the smaller boats dont give you much room behind the console. I'd have bloody knees if i hit a sandbar or something and stopped quickly. As for performance, it should be pretty stable. With an 18hp, depending on how much weight is in the boat, you may get anywhere from 22 to 27 mph

5. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've got a 40 hp Johnson tiller on my Lowe 1652, and feel the same way. If the torque tab is tuned right even a big 40 steers light. They do respond quicker than a wheel. No console in the way. As far as comfort its all in how you sit, I stradle my bench and sit off center so its not bad, its just something you get use to. Good luck on your choice.

6. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I use to duck hunt with a widebottom 14 ft. Had a 50 merc on tiller. It would scat but ya had to hang onto it. Was always leary of hittin something runnin very fast.

7. 4Low

4Low New Member

State:
    Lonoke, AR
    Like previously stated, if the trim tab is adjusted correctly it shouldn't be hard on the shoulder and the response time is increased, making it easier to trailer in my opinion. The extra room saved by a tiller is more than it looks...space is limited in a 14' boat. One other thing, if you plan on running the boat through cover, most tillers (unless you spend extra $$) don't have automatic tilt/trim and the motor will "kick up" saving your prop and lower unit if you hit something. It's a compromise and unless you do the same kinda fishing all the time you will be like me and sometimes want a console and sometimes not. Good luck!

8. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD

That's exactly what I do. Very comfortable and I can stretch my long legs out. Plus if my almost 3yr. old daughter is in the boat with me and wants to "drive", i can use my legs to keep her on the seat. Sitting this way also makes it easier to see behind you so you dont cut off one of those fast moving boats and get run over.