Boat captain help

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by bluecatnut, Aug 13, 2006.

1. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    brothers i know it been awhile since i have been posting but i have been looking for a job and finally got one ya for me but now my real ? my good friend from san diego is buying a 60ft tuna boat and asked me i mean told me he wants me to be his boat captian but i have been looking all over the net and have not been able to locate if i need to have a cert to be able to drive the big boat or is it like any ole boat but bigger. i know their will be alot of responabilty and all but how cool would that be thanks in advance

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    First you have to know something about boats, Dusty, LOL!!!
    Where have you been???
    There is no excuse for being absent brother, LMAO!!!

3. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    i have been humping around i mean looking around (lmao) the metro east for a job and my parents have dial up and it is tuff to get on let alone post messages and chat but now i have my own place and i have cable connection now yay for me

4. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
    Take the easy way out and call the local Coast Guard office and ask.

He might also want to check with his insurance carrier, they may have requirements also.

5. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yes you do and a six pack license is not good enough if any of the following is true

1 The boat will have more than 6 aboard
    2 If the boat and it's cargo weight more than 100 tons
    3 If the boat is operated commerically more than a certin amount of miles from shore.....I forget the limit, but it dose not matter because no Insurance company would insurance the boat and operation without a captain that has a Master License.

A master license is not east to get and not quick. You must have experience that can be proved by another with a Master License and take governament schooling and pass all the testing.

You would also be required to have a first mate that is licensed.

You are talking about serious business here. somebody better have big bucks to get started. This is not something you just decide to do, I think your buddy better do some reading and have him go talk to the Coast Guard. Once your on the boat they control the Indurstry.

Don't trust your life to this friend because he knows nothing about big boats or the daily dangerous of the sea. Dusty if he knew these things he would have know that you could not do the job he ask. Be really careful what you allow this guy to get you into. You are talking about your life out there.

You will need to be armed also. there are people out there who will fake trouble then kill you all and take the boat. If someone out at sea needs help you must help, your not allowed not to help.

6. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    I' a inland guide for duckhunting and catfishing in NC. I'M in the process in getting my captains cert for inland waters http://www.seaschool.com/oupv.htm I hope this helps this for my local area your may be listed. if your not certified with a 6pack cert and about a zillions hours you may be suppried what is needed for a full cert.

7. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    dusty maybe you could apply for second mate or deck swamper bateman lol

8. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    That was an excellent post by Danny McClure. The Pacific Ocean can be mighty unforgiving, and piracy still lives. It sounds so romantic to live on an old tub and sail the ocean blue, but it ain't all grits and gravy. With little to no experience I wouldn't even board that boat without an experienced crew. I'd hate to be on the bottom looking up. It would be kind of neat to dock though and to navigate it for a day from the tuna tower. I once tried to buy a 26 foot Owens solid wood boat with a 22 foot tuna tower. I was young and dumb and even the fact that the pvs owner said it would scare me to death because it would sink til the wood swelled didn't deter me. Thankfully the Bank deterred me pretty quickly.

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Out on the open water isnt a problem. Most anyone can handle a 60 footer in moderate seas.
    The big problem is docking.
    Most of these boats are backed into slips with tidal influences and wind against a big hull (only takes a slight wind) with several million dollars worth of boat tied right next to where you need to be.
    With a single screw you better be real good.
    Twin screws you got to be good and coordinated.
    Without a bowthruster it aint a whole lot of fun on a larger boat period.

Inboard boats are alot different then outboards.
    Inboards you arent turning the direction of the prop to altar the course.
    You are turning a rudder. At slow speed such as docking a rudder is less effecient and response is slower and easily over corrected.

The good news is that you can do it. Many have gone before you in receiving their 6- pack and masters license.
    The captain of the winning boat in the 2005 Big Rock Blue Marlin tourney was 24 years old. Piloting a 48 foot vessel I believe. No doubt he had years of experience on the ocean in and around the occupation to be as accomplished
    as he is at that age but you got to start somewhere.

The 6 pack license would be the easiest to obtain. All you need is a logbook of hours you have commanded a vessel and to pass a test for the most part.
    by the time you buy all the safety equipment required under the 6-pack license and test you are probally looking at somewhere in the neighborhood of 6-8000 dollars.

Like someone said before, it will take alot of money to get such a venture off the ground. The cost of the boat is a small problem. What comes along with it is major.
    A simple haul out for repairs or bottom scraping/ painting will cost upwards of a grand before any work is done.
    Fuel is a major consideration and diesel engines are real expensive to work on.
    Slip fees are outrageous for larger boats and then you got the dreaded insurance word to worry about.
    As long as he can stay on the tuna and the tuna prices are up he has a decent income, but he better have a big rainy day fund tucked away because he'll need it.
    Its not an easy life.

10. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    we are all talking about a captains cert but we never address the issue of state laws and requirements and licenses for Calforina.http://www.dfg.ca.gov/Mrd/regulations.html I hope this site will be informitave for your quest good luck

11. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    i should of been more specific it would just be me him and a couple friends and we would take trips to mexico and places that hold good # of big fish and when we arnt fishing i would be his personal assissant

12. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    It is a much different story if it's for pleasure but take some classes Dusty. The classes will put you at ease and the basic more important things are covered. Safty, how to navagate, even if you use moder electronics it is a good idea to have someone on board that can use and read charts. Remember at all times when you run into anyone be careful, I mean have someone holding a rifle in their hands when getting close to others. You can bet they will have someone standing by armed, you may not see them but they are there. Don't try anything shady, the coast guard will take the boat really fast. even having the wrong fresh fruit aboard when comming back into our waters is enough for them to tear apart your boat hoping to find something that will give them the right to keep your boat.

I had a friend that bought a 48 foot bertrum used, we took it to the islands for a week and comming back in at Ft, Lauderdale we were searched and they found a few pot seeds, I guess from the formor owners. The coast held all of us and debriefed us for about 4 or 5 hours before leting us go. The boat was held for over 1 year before my friend got it back.

I just can't say enough about your personal safty when in other countries and at sea. You can't trust other country officals at times.

13. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I almost forgot, One more thing

Have fun...

14. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Good Luck Bro. I always thought it would be an interesting job.

Let us know how it goes!

Josh

15. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    so let me get this straight i can operate a 60ft boat but to be on the safe side i will want to maybe take some classes on manuvering a big ole boat and i should be good to go

oh and is their a fire power limit :choler: :confident:

16. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    ih and thanls to all that help me out

17. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Anyone can operate a 60 footer on open water.
    Docking and undocking is a whole nother league.
    In most cases once you commit, you got one shot to get it done or you better have a nice insurance policy to cover what you tear up, yours or somebody else's.
    A little momentum from a boat that weighs 25 tons will cause alot of damage.

18. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The answer is yes Dusty. as long as it is private and not for hire or not for gain you can operate it without a license. Most insurance companies would like to see some experience and some insurance companies will cover the boat as long as it dose not leave american waters. The safty courses are for you. Mark J is telling you much. It really is different and a small bump with a 60 foot boat can kill or do great damage. Some of the more important things you will learn are the little things that captains know and commucate to each other that most people never know is going on. You will have fun with the course work and it shouldn't cost so much. These courses will help you fit in.
    Have fun.