Boat capsized this morning at Howell Island!!!

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by SkipEye, May 6, 2008.

1. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    One guy made it to shore and walked all the way to the wedge (gas station) in Chesterfield to get help. The other guy is still missing. Channel 2 has updates on the web at myfoxstl.com and is following the story.

Happened at 5:15am going turkey hunting. It appears to me but I am not sure, that they were crossing the chute where the water overflows the road to Howell Island.

Another stark reminder to always wear your lifejackets!

Lets hope the other guy is found alive!

2. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I cant figure out if they were in the ch;ute or crossing the main river. Chan. 2 is still covering but they dont show a wide span so you can see where they are. We saw 2 guys come off the island saturday with turkeys. They were in a canoe. they crossed just below the road where the water is running across. I guess they will put a complete story together for the noon news. Some of the rescuers have loaded up and left citing the water temps and length of time elapsed would make it improbable the person is still alive. The water patrol is continuing the search.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Our prayers go out to all involved. Good eye opening safety tip!

4. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I noticed in the video that the dikes are just starting to show again so who knows what happened. I have seen tons of people out there the last two weeks in too-small boats and not wearing lifejackets. It is just a shame to not utilize something that simple that could save your life. No one PLANS on having an accident in the water but they happen.

And I don't mean to start preaching about them (lifejackets) right now, I just hope this guy is found alive but all too often that isn't the case.:sad2:

5. kappandra

kappandra New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Many of the kids at our church attend Lutheran South, where the missing man was a baseball coach. He was very well liked by the students. I think at this point, all we can do is pray for peace for both he and his family.

6. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Did they find the man over board yet? Where is Howell island at? That guy was only 27 years old. Fairly young. Just kind of tells you just how strong the current is, that a younger man was unable to swim to shore.

7. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Howell Island is directly across the river from the Weldon Springs boat ramp where we fished the tourney last Saturday.

8. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    I haven't seen the news since the morning it happened... Do we know what cause the boat to capsize? :confused2:

9. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    They supposedly crossed the chute below the road/(now spillway) in the dark in a canoe and were caught up in the undertow and trapped against the road where the canoe capsized. The guy that made it out was able to hang on to the canoe.

We saw those guys Saturday come back from Howell Island and cross the chute in their canoe while fishing the tourney on Saturday. Don't recall anyone wearing lifejackets on Saturday either. I was alarmed at that but then I am also alarmed at all the folks I do know that don't wear them either.:wink:

10. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    I'm guilty of not wearing my life jacket from time to time too. Usually, when I'm by myself.... I remember to put it on when I'm paying out line on the anchor for the first time. :roll_eyes:

11. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Found this dosnt look good.

12. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Channle 2 said the fella that made it out was the only one that had on his PFD???

13. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    What I find crazy is that after taking one look at the way that current was ripping through there at the boat ramp I didn't want to take my boat on that river and these guys were out there in a canoe.:crazy:

14. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    A trajedy to say the least. A standup young man, in great shape just trying to enjoy Missouri Nature and capture a nice long beard. If only he had dawned the most critical piece of safety equipment that exist for a person on the water perhaps we wouldnt have this post. We are all guilty of not using our safety vest from time to time, for a myriad of reasons, none of which are worthing sacrificing your life over.

I realize the old traditional vest are burdensome and 'get in the way'. The new autoinflatables are very comfortable, and you forget you even have it on after awhile. You can get them as a full auto inflatable chest unit, or at the very least you can get a fanny pack inflatable, like Kutter has. Either way, your chances of surviving a spill into these rivers go up 10 fold. If you decide to "take your chances" and not wear one, perhaps consider the effect your death will have on your spouse, children, parents, relatives and friends. Its NOT worth it. I can honestly say I have been wearing my vest everytime these past couple of months. (Grumper can vouch) I invite everyone to join me. I dont want to attend any funerals of my catfish buddies. :confused2:

No one sets out onto the water with a PLAN of falling into the river. There are too many reasons to list on how a person could find themselves in this situation, but there is usually ONE reason that the persons find there way out. A LIFE VEST.

Many remember Harold Dodds boat sinking a couple years back. Harold and his partner had turned their anchor rope loose to chase down a big fish. After getting the 76 pound fish in the boat, they motored back up stream to hunt for the rope and the rope became entangled in the prop. In very short order the boat was wrenched around with its stern upstream, and the backend was pulled under the water. (This was a full sized Lund) Harold told me they had SECONDS to get their vest on and jump in the water. The boat went under a few short seconds later. They lost everything, but they kept their lives because of having their LIFEVEST immediately available. Harold has been plying these rivers as a Captain for 30 some odd years, and if it can happen to him, it can flat happen to anybody. Although they were not wearing them at the time, they did have them out and immediately available or else the results perhaps would have played out differently.

Watch the sale adds, check ebay, whatever you need to do. There are good deals out there on autoinflatable vest. PLEASE PLEASE wear something. My new boat rules shall be anytime I turn on that boat key everyone on board will be wearing one. What will your new boat rules be?

Godspeed to this gentlemans family, friends and loved ones.

15. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Well I am definately guilty of not wearing a PFD.:embarassed: It's unfortunate to read a story like this, yet it has "opened" my eyes so to speak. I am making a resolution to myself, I am going to get me a auto-inflatable PFD to wear while I'm on the water. I have a young child and a soon to be wife and I would hate to put them through the pain of losing me. (course maybe they wouldn't be in pain! :crazy:) No really, in all seriousness, I will do better from now on, I will be wearing my vest out on the river, or at the very least have them readily available.

16. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    As I've posted before on a thread concerning boat rules, and as anyone who has ridden in my boat, "The boat don't move till everyone has the PFD on!" I know I have upset a few folks by insisting, but I really don't care. For me, I would have it on my conscience from here on end. That is too high of price to pay, just to not upset somebody.

17. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Yeah, but Tom....you really don't have to make it a rule just set them out where anyone riding in your boat can reach one and after the first air born wave jump at full speed they'll quickly reach for it without another word. :crazy:

I try to always bring my own life jacket with me (even on other peoples boats, especially after riding with Kutter) and have it at the very least thrown on the floor of the boat at my feet. I know it doesn't do much laying on the floor, but I'm hard headed and thats where it is. All though after going over the top of that dyke last Saturday I gave some serious thought to putting it on and looking back I should of had it on as fast as the water was rolling.

18. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    That is one thing I can say for this group, Willie always brings his, Mike brings his and Cuz has started wearing his to bed I think. I just bought one of those auto pdf's from Bass Pro, It was a Mustang for around 108 with tax included. I have started to wear it all the time when the boat is under power and it is always in the boat at arms reach when I am set up. In the past I never really wore it once I got comforatable out there but when the water got cold I really started to think I was pretty stupid not having one on.

19. catfishchris

catfishchris Active Member

State:
    missouri
    I wear some sort of PFD everytime the motor starts. I have helped to fish out way to many folks that didn't. I'm sure none of those folks planned on falling out of the boat. I have never seen a drowning victim that was wearing a PFD.

The river doesn't give very many second chances! Don't put yourself at it's mercy!