Boat capsized at Santee today

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Bill in SC, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Just got a call from the Penn Slammer. From what I could hear while on the combine, apparently two or three gents in the 60ish age range capsized their boat today on Lake Moultrie. Apparently the waves were 6 to 7 feet high. The Slammer, Elane, and Capt. Jim Kyle rescued the folks. I think he said they were in the water nearly an hour. While they were headed back to Angels Landing in Capt. Jim's enclosed pontoon with a heater, the "rescue" boat showed up and demanded that the half frozen "survivors" get off the heated boat and onto the open rescue boat for a rough wet ride to Blacks Camp.. The guys didn't want to leave the heated boat, but were demanded to do so by the local sheriff, from what I can gather. An argument ensued, but the sheriff won the argument, threatening "persuasion". Bottom line is, BE CAREFUL out there. That ol' Santee can kill you quickly!

Bill in SC

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Man that sounded scary.Thanks for telling us about it.
    Rather stupid on the Sheriff to make them get off a
    warm boat wasn't it.Bet this won't be end of this story.

Sorry Bill got to spread the love around some before I can give to you again.Oh well I tried

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009

3. cvbaitman

cvbaitman New Member

State:
    georgia
    what a bad thing glad someonefound them and someone needs to tell the press about a cop that was stupied

4. Deepwater1

Deepwater1 New Member

State:
    Toccoa, GA
    Guess it would have made too much sense for the Deputy to ask them to follow him in to Blacks Camp. It wouldn't have shown that the deputy was in complete control of the situation. Really a sad commentary on law enforcement.

5. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    :sad2: MANS THATS AWFULL !!!!!!

I HOPE THEY ARE ALL OK !!!!!!

THANKS FOR SHARRING ..

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I think they were ok. They were lucky as there were FEW boats on the water today. One boat passed right by them and didn't see them. from what I understood, the capsized boat was still floating, and they plan to try and pull it in tomorrow. I couldn't hear real well with the combine running but I thought he said it was some sort of jet pontoon, or deckboat or something. Said they had some sort of malfunction. Hopefully the story will come out with more details.

Bill in SC

7. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    If the lake doesn't kill you , the sheriff will.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Perhaps there were some bonus money for the law enforcement agency if it preformed a rescue. Without someone in the boat, there was no rescure. So, if that were the case, the deputies were fairly smart. LOL

9. Let's get rid of the extra "e" there, ok bro?:big_smile::eek:oooh::wink:

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    LOL! OK, Mr. grammatically correct! :roll_eyes::big_smile::wink:

BB in SC

11. Haha, I aint perfectr, I just try to HBO(Help a Brotha Out) now and then.:wink:

And I couldn't resist too.:smile2:

12. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Well, they may die from hypothermia,, but,, at least,, they didn't drown!!!

Sounds like they had a bit of luck nonetheless... Scary:sad2:

13. Shrimp Man

Shrimp Man New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I'm glad they had the chance to fuss a little, As we know Moultrie don't always give that chance.

14. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    The sheriff department / rescue boat definately did the smart thing.

First, I am sure their boat was faster and better equipped for the rough water.

Second, the rescue boat needed to make sure they were taken to a ramp where an ambulance could be waiting for immediate care and transport.

Third, the folks on that rescue boat are trained for medical situations, while some local fisherman is not. If these folks were truly in the water for an hour then they were probably near death and needed immediate medical care FAST!

Fourth, if the police / rescue is there, and they have access to the patient, it would be reckless and irresponsible for them to just leave the transport up to someone they do not know in a fishing boat.

There are always two sides to every story, but the bottom line is that it appears they made it back alive.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  15. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    Only two words come to mind...........BARNEY FIFE :eek:oooh::eek:oooh:

16. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    i'm glad it turned out good,it could have been a lot worse,if the law did'nt rescue them from their rescuers.

17. Salthart

Salthart New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I'm sure Wcat is right.. The people had to be in danger of hypothermia and so making their frail, unresponsive cold bodys climb from a warm boat into another and THEN subjecting them to windchill while wet, in that faster unwarmed boat was JUST what the doctor ordered !

Yea buddy.....................................................................................

I look forward to all updates on this one.

18. chewy

chewy New Member

State:
    Bonneau, South Carolina
    That is ridiculous, these guys have every right to deny service from the sheriff. They could have told him where to stick it cussed him out or whatever and there is absolutely nothing he can do about it. The only way he can do anything is if he is investigating or arresting a crime. No crime was commited just some poor guys who were in an accident and were just trying to get warm. This guy needs to be reported and also these guys should press charges. It also sounds like a good report for Live 5 News. Get the press involved and see how fast this gets resolved. Unbelievable:angry:

19. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Stoopied is stewpyd no matter how you spell it:wink::wink:
    ...W