Boat/camping Heater?

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by TOPS, Mar 25, 2006.

1. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I came across this heater on sale. Little to late for winter but I will be ready for next winter. I think it will work well. The owner's manual says it is a 4000 to 9000 Btu heater. 4000 on low 9000 on high.

2. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    How long would it burn on a 1# bottle? It looks great, I like the size.

3. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    I've got one of them and would recommend it to anyone. A 1 lb bottle lasts about 3-4 hours on low. You can buy an adapter hose for about $25 and hook it to a 20 lb propane tank. It throws off some good heat and is good for emergencies or outdoors if you have a blind or something to hold the heat. We've used it under a table in the late fall on the deck to keep your feet and legs warm and worked about a B-. It's rated for indoor use (without the 20 lb tank) and get's the job done.
    Rat

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Come on Verlon... a heater... your letting the rest of us First Sergeants down. What will they think of next. First it was sleeping bags... now its heaters. lol

5. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Those are definately nice heaters. Where did you pick that up and how much did you give for it, if you don't mind me asking?

6. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Dave, I have a friend that works in a local sporting goods store here in Russellville. He sold it to me for $65.00. I think cabalas has one similar to mine.

7. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I lit my heater. That little thing sure put off some heat. Of course the weather is not as cold but I am sure it will work well.

8. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    2 18 year old blondes would work better,but cost more in the long run!!!!;) ;)

9. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Jon, I have hard enough time catching fish, I do not need any distraction!! Two blonds would be in my way!!:) :)

10. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Top (awshucks) If the idea of a heater gets you down, you would really hate the heated and cooled tents in the desert right now.;)

Quick story and about a Top Sgt with the Army. I was down in Guatemala building a beddown camp for the army. It was the first time their new kit called the Force Provider was ever deployed. RED HORSE went down to build it for them (Air Force version of the SEEBEEs). I got the honor of showing the incoming Top Sgt where his troops would be living for the next couple of months. As I showed him row after row of Air Conditioned Tents and nice shower shave facilities, he looked me straight in the eye and said, "My guys can't stay here, they will be nothing but a bunch of ******* when we go home." I looked at him like he was smoking crack and said "Enjoy your stay!":rolleyes:

Top, I like the heater. I thought about gatting one for the deer camp but never did because of the price. You got a good deal!

11. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    FishMan, I was a little off on my estimate for bottle life on the heater. According to the manual, a 1 lb bottle will burn for 6 hours on low and 3 hours on high. A 20 lb tank get's you 120 hours on low, 60 hours on high.
    Rat

12. comanchero

comanchero New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Hey Top - I have a Mr Buddy heater and they are good heaters. That is a pretty standard heater for us Minnesota Icefisherman. We use them in our portable ice shacks and they can keep you warm and cozy when it is way below zero outside. The great feature is that they are safe to operate indoors, that is something you have to watch carefully when using a portable heater indoors. Safety cannot be emphasized enough when using a heater in a closed, confined space. The same manufacturer has another model called "The Big Buddy" which is twice as warm.
    I have a fishing top rigged on my boat for early season catfishing and I put a Mr Buddy heater in there and I can handle that early cat season 30 degree, windy, wet weather just fine.

13. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have one of the Big Buddy heaters which is the same heater with 2 ceramic heaters built in and you can hook up 2 1lb cylinders to it. I personally purchased the 12 ft. hose adaptor made for these to use a 20lb cylinder with. Keep in mind if you use a 20lb cylinder with these heaters and the optional hose, then you also should purchase the optional fuel filter for it to help keep moisture out. It states about using everything in the manual.

:0a26: ​

14. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    I was looking at them before i went camping. $65 is a good price. Bass Pro had them for $79 and Dicks sporting Goods had them for $99. Big Buddy was $129.

15. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    The heater adds a nice comfortable touch, and grandma really appreciates it. Mine's similar and we have an adapter for a 20# bottle.

16. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    You know, I still respect the Army and the servicemen and women who serve. But, I think it goes a little to far when they worry about heat/air conditioned tents. Guess this is a side result of allowing women to serve in combat support or related duties. I can fully understand the other First Sergeants concerns about turning soldiers into wimps. I hate the cold, really, really hate it. But when we went on bivouac in February, it was a part of service life. So, being a modern soldier, I hated that too. Sure was glad when my assignment to the Field Artillery ended.

17. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Usta could...LOL

18. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    They are great heaters and safe too. They went like hotcakes after an ice storm here last year. I think you can even convert them with a hose to accept 20lb tanks.