Boat buying tips

Discussion in 'Boating' started by catfish kenny, Apr 3, 2008.

1. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have noticed alot of first time boat owners and though Id try to throw my .02 cents worth in and hopefuly someone might read it and it may help
    THE MOST IPORTANT ADVICE I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH IS "DO YOUR HOMEWORK WITH A VENGINCE-DO NOT GET ANTSEY AND JUMP OFF THE CLIFF! THE MORE YOU KNOW THE BETTER!
    There are several things to consider #1 is the kind of boat you are looking at and the things to consider..issues about it...hows it look etc.......a boat is a boat aint true.......buying used means buyer beware you are not purchasing the boat you are purchasing the motor-The Motor is the heart and if you dont wanna row da boat Johnny keep this in mind.
    I would reccomend talking to someone that has owned a boat for awhile and pay attention to what they say-see if you can go out with them a few times even take them on your quest when you think you found your buy.
    Make sure you know your states regs-check all your tags on the boat and trailer make sure they are up to date.consider the maitence involved on your boat and trailer it is expensive but not as bad if you are capable of diong the work yourself.
    Preventive maitence is no where near as costly if you do it regularly.SAFTEY ON THE WATER IS A MUST-If you dont have the boat up to par then the tickets will come and youll find its just easier and more fun to have her right!
    PUT IT IN THE WATER & RUN IT! Check it thouroughly.........
    Be paitent and look hard-how well you do your homework is gonna show in the end.This is a majior investment your life is depending on dont take that lightly-dont get intimidated or frustrated you will have years of pleasure out there and you cant rush a good thing!

2. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    I agree completly. I would like to add, DON'T SETTLE! Make sure the boat is what you want, not what you could make do with. I've settled in the past and have regretted it. Take your time and be sure.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I always like to see the phrase "compression test" whenever anyone is talking about inspecting a boat. If the owner says no deal, thats what is is - NO Deal.

4. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    I can't agree more...........don't settle! Jenny and I have been looking at new and used boats for a long time. We are looking cause there are three in the yard that are not "just right" Little secret I have found...........the uglier the boat....the more likely it can be made into our version of the ideal catfishing boat. We are gonna find the right one soon. I feel it coming:cool2:

5. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Sounds interesting thanks for the tips

6. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I threw this up cause my brother works with 3 guys that all didnt know what there diong and you guessed it-all there boats are in the yard & dont run.This is a good place to learn ideas and tips-you want to know something ask...you'll get answears!................................:cool2:

7. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Where wa ya at when i bought my NEW BOAT Kenny!!!:tounge_out::smile2::big_smile: I will add when buying a NEW Boat make sure the dealer will stand buy the product with service and warranty work, and read the factory warranty really close:wink: I have been going round and round with Tracker over my 2072 river-cat for 3 months and it still aint settled yet:confused2:

8. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Your buyin out of my leauge-I am the poor man with the ratt jon on the river:wink:I think I'd be real upset if I spent the money you are and they wont back it....THAT BITES THE BIGGY!