Boat buying dilemma

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by sds888, Jun 13, 2006.

1. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    I am having a big delima as to which boat to buy.I am buying one within the next few months not sure when in those months. The big delima is that I have a city slicker of a wife that I love very much but I am an old country boy. She wants a big ol cuddy cabin I want a bass boat. We can not buy both we have already tried to figure that into the finances but it aint working. So this fight has been going on for about six months now and still no conculsion. We even dropped he boat idea for awhile and as going to get an inground pool. Then we went out on my inlaws deck boat and we both wanted a boat again. So how do you a comadate both wants fishing camping and luxury for the wife. I was thinking about a deck boat but they are at the top end of the budget and I am not sure how they would be in fishing out of. The deck boat I was looking at was the 195 OB Tahoe with all the goodies at $25,705. I was hoping not to spend that much on a boat. My wife does not like a pontoon at all. Oh and she wants a new boat. Is there anyone that may have a suggestion. It might save our marriage. Just kidding but it would maybe put a good arguement to rest. Thanks
    Stephen

2. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    well i know you say you want a bass boat, but my buddy has a 22 ft wellcraft which is a cuddy BUT.....it is also one heck of a catfishing boat, the back end is wide open, and has plenty of room for rod holders and everything...i was questioning his desicion when he bought it, but it has turned out that i really like fishing off of it

3. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    I would look into some of the smaller cuddy cabin styles that are out there dont really need one with a galley etc just put a portapot in there and your set. Me I will keep my bassboats. Good luck going to have to be some comprmise on both sides it looks like. How about putting a bimini top on a bass boat. That way she will have some shade to hide under. I know when I go fishing and am going to be anchoring I take my bimini top for my bass boat saves me from the sun.

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    My only advice would get what is gonna be usefull for your boating needs and wants. First and foremost is stay within your means when it comes to $$$$$$$$$.

5. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Dont worry I will deffintly live within my means I am not going to go broke trying to satisfy my wife. Even though she make three times what I make. I have looked at the smaller cuddys and I just dont like them my wife does though. Does anyone own a deckboat or even a tahoe I would like your opions on that as well Thanks for the responses
    Stephen

6. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    You may want to look at a WA, walkarounds mostly are set up for fishing and have a small cabin, they are called walk around because there is a walk way to allow you to fish the front. They are great but as far as bass fishing, Problem, bass boats just don't cross breed with any other boats.

You could get a small aluminum for bass fishing and pull it with the biger boat.

I know how you feel but don't fail to make the wife happy with this purchase as you will never have piece, believe me. 20 years from now you will be looking for a new house and she will want one of those new 2 story fridges with a built in recliner and special TV that shows 24 hour soap operas and she will say, Honey do you remember that bass boat you got the other day. I know I said 20 years in the future and thats part of what I ment to say, it's just the other day to her bacause not one single day has passed without her thinking about that boat.

Oh my, there I go again. sorry.

I hope you find what you both want. I really do think it might be that you may like fishing from a boat with lots of open rear room. It may be my next boat .

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    To me it is simple. Get what she wants. You will be a lot happier with a happy wife than you will be alone with no wife.

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    There are many stuck with boats that are totally unfit for their owners primary wants.They are often bought to satisfy a member of the family who "boats"occasionally,or several times a year.Less after the new wears off.I can not see your wife being satisfied with the scratches,dents,scales,slime,blood,guts,bait,mud,and let us not forget smell of a fishing boat.Sounds like your wifes idea of a boat is a nautical lounge,to cruise and be seen in.I can see a man fishing out of such a boat once.After the first time,he will know better.I would look for the type of boat you want on the used market.There are many in storage,waiting on the occasional holiday use.Some are for sale.Most have seen very little use.I think that after buying the wife a boat,you will need someone to take you fishing if you are going to do it out of a boat.This is what I have seen in a lifetime around boats and the water.I wish you the very best on your boat.Please let us know what you decide,and how it works out.Sharing information is how we all learn.Sacking snakes at the Rattlesnake roundup is far easier and safer than the decision you are trying to make.peewee-williams

9. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Be glad that your wife is interested in a boat. I really think you will enjoy your new cuddy.... You can always name it Bass hunter or something, heck you can even call it a bass boat:lol:

10. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    There are some very nice Cuddy's out there that have PLENTY of room to fish on... Plua its alot better to make the wife happy ;-)... I know you want that nice "sweet" bass boat but you can make a compromise and paint the Cuddy with that really sparkly (almost too annoying) paint... lol

Also why not a Deck boat? like a combo of a Pontoon and a bass boat... plus its got a good bit of luxery for your wife and if equipt correctly it can be just as useful to sleep out on...

11. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I cant resist "helping out" here:lol: Danny "but dont fail to make the wife happy with this purchase as you will never have piece ,believe me".:eek:oooh: :embarassed: I believe you, I believe you!!!:roll_eyes: I think you left out the "a"?You wont have any peace either LOL. LW; NOT so fast.Lets see nice new shiny bass boat just for me and no wife OR cuddy with wife HMMMMMMMMMMM.That is a tough decision.Go fishing when I want in my bass boat or cuddy with wife.Really tough.:big_smile: :lol: The WA or Cuddy is an excellent compromise as they are very fishable and when it rains ,gets cold,or you want a nap at night they can't be beat.They can get pricey like anything else.:smile2:

12. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I bought a used "fish & ski" boat last year, as a compromise -- I wanted to fish, the wife and kids want to ski, tube and ride around.

Turns out the boat isn't useful for fishing *or* skiing -- it's way too nice to put catfish slime and shad guts in, and it only holds 6 people which really isn't enough for any kind of family outing (my family is 4, leaving room for only 2 more and everybody I know comes in groups of 4 or more...)

So I bought a dedicated fishing boat last spring and we'll use the Fish & Ski for the rest of this summer just for playing on the water. After that, it'll get sold and most likely replaced by a dedicated ski boat (probably a bow rider) next year. Personally, I'd just as soon sell the F&S and pocket the money but the genie is already of the bottle on that one and I'm afraid we'll have to have a ski boat of some sort in the driveway from now on...

Yep, it's a lot of money to spend (especially since I'm already looking for a different fishing boat) but seems to be the only way to keep the peace. You can buy both a perfectly decent used fishing boat and a late model used bowrider/cuddy/deck boat for the price of one fancy new one.

13. God bless you in your decision. You are in a no win situation. Buy what the missus wants and your miserable since it is worthless for fishing. Even if it were you won't have time to fish for riding her all over the place in it.
    If you buy a fishing boat you'll be miserable as she won't give you a minute's rest.
    I guess this is what happens when we try to humor our womenfolks. Oops, did I say that out loud. :embarassed: Seriously, I am so grateful that I got a missus that understands and appreciates the finer things in life. She would shoot me if I bought a boat and it wasn't for fishing. For that fact alone I can put up with all her bogus claims about out fishing me.:lol:

14. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Thanks for all of yalls help. yup I sure am in a rattlesnake pit. Well we will just have to wait till the time comes then we will see what I can get. I will have to wait a couple of months before I start looking maybe I will stumble on a good deal around then. I just hope whatever I find we will both be able to enjoy and be able to spend some relaxing time together. Lord willing.
    Thanks
    Stephen