Boat buying advice

Discussion in 'LOCAL GEORGIA TALK' started by swamp stomper, Oct 2, 2007.

1. swamp stomper

swamp stomper New Member

State:
    GA.
    I need to get a bigger boat. Had planned on it when I got back from Kuwait but momma says next year. I want (need) a 17 or 18ft. Alum.
    Myself two boys and dad or father in law not cool in a 14ftr!! and kids get real pissed when they get left at home!!

1. Would I do better buying New or Used?
    2. If New how many years to Finnance and %?
    3. If new how much is insurance on a boat run?
    4. Any things to look out for don't want to get screwed mainly!
    5. Any recomendations on anybody around Columbus?

Thanks in advance for any help!
    SS

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Only advice I can give ya is stay within your means and don't settle for somethin. Get what ya want in a boat so you will be happy and get several good productive years outa it.

3. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    Buy one about 2-3 years old.. still new but like a car the price drops 5k when you drive it off the lot..As far as th financing..sell your boat dont trade it in..I wouldnt dare put it on a note over 4 years..and ..wait till winter time..just before christmas when everyone is in a money crunch and you will get the best deal then..:wink:

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Perfect candidate for building the dang thing.
    No financing and it'll take about a year to build it.

5. papasage

papasage Member

State:
    Fitzgerald, Geo
    find a good used boat big enough fot the kids . keep the small one for your self .:wink: i like my pontoon for a crowd . still have my 15 ft. bumble bee with a 55 hp. also have a 9.9 12 ft boat :smile2:

6. Georgiaboy

Georgiaboy New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Now unfortunately pontoons arent the cheapest peices of equipment and the care and time could be even more costly. My advice...stick with your price range and dont go overboard. You can probably by a small metal boat without an engine for around 300-500 dollars plus the cost of the engine. Actually you could just buy a trolling motor and thatll take you around the lake at a decent rate. All that really counts in those boats is really what condition the engine is in and if the boat is safe for recreational use. Always bring oars with you, with any boat really.
    Now of course in a small vhal boat that im basically describing your not going to fit much. Two people can fit in those boats. A jonbat, however, can probably fit three people. Depends on the boat. Also, Jonboats and vhal's are much quieter and wont create so much comotion for the fish in the water.
    Also if your price range is up high enough, you can get a bass fishing boat. Fast and it gets the job done, but it requires more care though!
    Now go get those fish!

P.S. Trust me I'm in the same situation as you. No boat. I dont know how much funds you can use but we cant use much, but yeah, sometimes i get tired of fishing offshore. Try Lake Acworth if you wanna offshore. You have a nice open dock that goes out a little way so you can really get far enough from the shore. Of course you have to be at the right park. Big playground on the right of the docks thats all i know.

7. baitshop 2

baitshop 2 New Member

State:
    georgia
    i have been looking for about a year and have desided to buy a new one but every time i get ready to buy it i hear of a change that i want so i have to wait .iwill get a new one at the first of the year it will be a G3 20ft with tunell and the prop with trolling motor dual fish finder and 90yamaha or maybee 115 and hydralic jack plate the 20 foot they say is suposed to be on the way now.........if not i will go with the 1860........

but like the others say stay within your budget......but the best thing is getsomething that makes you happy and go fishing and take a kid with you ....introduce some one to the great outdoors and gods country.....

8. Gfwoody00

Gfwoody00 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    i have a 17 foot triton flat bottom. I think its the best boat ive ever fished in because it is so wide. i can easily fish four or five people. I just bought it a few months ago, its an 04 model so its still pretty new.

9. papasage

papasage Member

State:
    Fitzgerald, Geo
    some one on another fishing site won a boat with a 115 hp motor . $20000.00. would like to sell the paper work . for $16000.00. can`t git the info as the site is temporareley down . this might be a good deal if it is what you wan`t. pm me and i can give you the information . seams like other site links are banned frome here

10. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Send me a pm if anyone is interested in a 14' aluminum starcraft, 4 hp exceptionally clean Evinrude, trolling motor, eagle fish finder, removable new seats and trailer that is also in great shape. I live outside of Dallas, GA. I know there are a few folks in the area that need a boat.