Boat Building 101???

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by catfisherfromball, Aug 31, 2006.

1. keeyaawww.....I am lookin to maybe build me a small shrimp boat and was wondering if anybody knows where I can get some free boat plans to build about a 20 foot skiff type boat?? I have a 40 horse evinrude dat I can use for a power source but am willing to upgrade.... tank you to all da brudders out dere...

2. mlohre

mlohre New Member

State:
    Walton, Kentucky
    I was thinking and this is dangerous, but i found some books at the library on boat building and copyed the information out of it and now waiting for the time to try and build it. what i chose was some kind of 20' skiff. It had a small deck on back and in the front and three bech type sets. all wood planks and screws and rated for a 40 hp motor

3. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
  4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You arent going to find what you are wanting for free.
    I know one right of the bat 20 feet long 8 feet wide for probally 80 bucks.

You got boat plans and you got BOAT plans.
    I've seen alot of so called boat designer plans and I've seen plans from well known designers. You can instantly tell the difference.
    A real designer doesnt design by building. He knows exactly where the waterline will be and how it will handle before its even drawn.
    Just be wary of the casual backyard "designer". It will go faster with better end results by spendiing a little money to pay a designer for his plans.

Stitch and glue is easier and alot faster to build. Its also lighter and in most cases stronger.
    Stitch and glue is the cheapest way to build also.

Stay away from anything that requires lofting ( like plans in books and magazines). Lofting isnt a good idea for a first timer and not fun with experience. A good plan will have every single dimension required to build the entire boat in the plans leaving nothing to loft or cipher.

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

There was a thread by Rockhound are Rock something posted with the simple design of a wood boat but I could not locate the link. The plans looked very simple and I believe he said it was about 100 dollars are so to build a 12 are 14 boat. Sorry I couldn't find the link and good luck on your venture.

6. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    just a thought for the last year or so i have been looking at layout boat designs to build for my son and I, He wants to try using a layout boat for duckhunting at on of the lakes we often go to, the one bay is too shallow for my rig. To make a long story short the cost of materials is about the same as the cost of a new one, Now mind I love making things with my son but what i can get for the same $$ is going to be alot easer and better. Check out this site it has some good supplies for boathttp://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/search.do?freeText=Paints&page=GRID&history= builders

7. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    have no i deer dude.

8. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    have no i deer dude. i'm sure some one will tell you though.

9. Creek6

Creek6 New Member

State:
    OK
    Check out Renn Tolman's Book. You can build the boat from the book and it is a very seaworthy skill. Just Google Renn Tolman or Tolman Skiff.

10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I successfully pulled a 30 foot Scorpion (Balloon Net) with a 40 hp Mariner on a 16 foot Fisher Marine basic open Aluminum hull.You might check locally with insurers,salvage and such for hurricane damaged boats in your area.A cheap sound hull with a damaged superstructure could possibly be both cheap and ideal for your project.peewee-williams

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I bought all the Tolman books.
    I like the boat but its not a simple boat to build and doesnt utilize all of today's ease of construction methods and materials.
    This boat could be designed to be easily built with few tools and at a lighter weight.
    Double planking the bottom of a boat of that type is like boatbuilding in the stone age. Totally unnecessary with the right designer doing the engineering and with a substantial cost savings in the build.

A good example of what I'm talking about can be found in plans I have for a 26 foot offshore boat that can be built from the blueprints alone. No book or books required.
    It isnt or doesnt have to be rocket science. Nothing beats a first class set of prints.

12. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I have built several flat bottom wooden boats, the largest was 18 feet in lenth and I first built a jig. The boat is then constructed upside down on the jig. The jig ensures that the hull will be true. There is a world of information on wooden boat construction at your local library, but as Mark mentioned it is unlikely that you will find good, detailed plans for free. Even if you buy plans I would still visit the library and read up on various techniques. If I had the time I would surely build another! Good luck!

13. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Peewee that is very good advice and I would have never thought of it, thanks. IS there a state surplus in your area? The drug seizure program and surplus here at times have some decent boats also. You may check there.

14. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    One more thing, If your gonna buy all the materials and put all the effort in building a boat then do yourself a big favor and use West System Epoxy, They produce it in various cure rates. I also used their micro balloons, Serch the net for this epoxy, it is the best!