Boat Batteries?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by beakus, Nov 20, 2006.

1. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    i have a 18ft jon with troll on front, lights,bait tank,fish finder,ect.my question is i was wondering the best battery setup.one for the 100 hp motor,one for the troll and lights.or can i put 2 or 3 in one the location in the back and wire them parallel like one big battery but can i charge them as one or do i need to charge them seperatly.

2. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I have two batteries I use to run the troll motor and all the other gadgets on my boat. I have them hooked up on a parallel connection as well. I charge them on an on board trickle charger, (1-2 amps) and the batteries never leave the boat, or become disconnected. I have not had any problems yet.

Good question, I'd be interested in seeing these responses..
    Thanks!

3. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    It is best to connect your trolling motor to a seperate battery because the charging system is not designed to handle the extra load.

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    John,go into the BOC library etc and you will find worlds of info on batteries, chargers,types of batteries etc.If you can't find what you want go to West Marines website or online catalog and they have a whole section addressing exactly the questions you are asking.:smile2: