Boat Batteries ?????

Discussion in 'Boating' started by catfisherman369, Nov 28, 2009.

1. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Anyone know where to pick up cheap price boat batteries ?

2. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Floyd, Interstate came in my boat when I got it. Very good batterys but over priced I feel.In other boat I have owned I have had good service out of those WallMart batterys. I know a lot of folks don't like them, but I have never had one fail me as long as I maintained them. They are about the cheapest batterys I have found

3. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    I second slatebar. I have walmart batteries and know a lot of people don't like them. Haven't had a problem so far. They are the cheapest and have a warranty..so if they are gonna go back within a year then i can get a replacement free, or prorated up to 18 or 24 months i believe.

4. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I bought an interstate group 27 for mine. It was well worth the money. It came with a 2 year replacement warranty. All of last year I charged it twice. Wllfart batteries are made by exide. Talk to your mechanic about which is better. Most mechanic shops have interstate for a reason. Another good choice would be ac-delco.

5. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    The Interstate batteries are good w/o a doubt, when I had a shop I stocked them for two reasons. #1, they carry a nationwide warranty program & #2, they were given to me on consignment, :big_smile: NO $$$ out of pocket. I do however think that they are overpriced & I didn't use them myself either.

The AC Delco batteries are an EXCELLENT choice. BUT.........., there aren't as many places that stock them & usually the places that do don't have extended operating hours:sad2:

So being as I am a mechanic, as well as a boat owner, my choice are the Walmart batteries. I haven't had any problems with them, the cost is fair & when you're in B.F.E., there is probably one nearby that's open 24 hrs.:wink::wink:

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Now think. Do ya really want a "CHEAP" boat battery? :wink:

7. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    the last boat battery i bout was indeed a waly world battery and it lasted me 7 years thats bin several years ago i dont know if thay are that good now i am going to need one soon and it probbly will be a waly job but i dont need it to crank the boat just run lights

8. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    We all use the big yellow Wal-Mart batteries too. There really isn't any good cheap battery, and I agree with BG, it's something you don't wanna skimp on too much.

Good thing about them is that they are very good about returning them if needed and Wal-Mart world is everywhere.

Remember to store that receipt somewhere in the truck or boat ; )

9. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    I prefer industrial grade deep cycle battery's for the boat. Thats just me. Battery's are one of those areas I don't like to take a chance on for the boat or personal vehicle. It sucks big time to be on the water and have dead battery's or you go back to the ramp and hop in the truck to go load the boat and click, click, click. Been there done that and i totally hate it.

One thing that is important to the type of battery you use is proper maintenance of the battery's, charging & starting system and cable connections. Testing the battery's and charging system on a routine basis can save you a lot of headaches down the road. It might take 5 minutes to test the battery's and charging system, but well worth the time. Nothing worse then planning on a day of fishing and getting to the ramp and you put the boat in and nothing.See it alot in the spring at the ramps from the recreational boaters. Doing a load test on the battery's, checking the charging system can alert you to early troubles. Relatively easy to do and a load tester is not that expensive for just checking the health of the battery's and charging system.

Checking connections and cables and using a dielectric conductive grease on my terminals is also one of those things I pay attention to and is often overlooked. A good cheap battery and charging system tester is relatively cheap. An example of a tester is pictured below and can cost around $30 at http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/p-1152-electronic-specialties-700.aspx

Having a big name brand battery isn't as important and doing proper routine maintenance. Maybe just me, but I hate hearing that click,click,click when I'm ready for a day on the water.

10. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have been having real good luck with Deka batteries,,, they are higher than Wal Marts,,, I got tired of replacing Walmart batteries,,,we have 4 tractors, two trucks, 2 cars and 2 boats,, all have batteries,,, oh the camper has a battery also,,,, Walmart had me buying 4-6 batteries a year,,, last year I bought just 3 batteries,,

I forgot, I have 2 welding machines that have batteries also,,,

A person can become battery poor..

Years ago there was an outfit that sold reconditioned batteries,, they were new batteries that had been cracked or whatever,,, they would glue the hole shut and redo the acid,,,they used to charge about 30 a battery.

Check your yellow pages,,, you might have an outfit like that close to you.

11. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    i use walmart batteries,never had a problem.got a batt i my boat that says ups,came from a ups truck,don't know the maker but its good.i like interstate,but for the price the walmart batt(maxx)are better deal,as a matter of fact.i had one walmart batt outlast an interstate by 2 yrs. one time.

12. striper steve

striper steve New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i bought a deep cycle battery almost 3 years ago from walmart, it died in about a year and a half. took it back and got a new one with a new 3 year full replacement warranty. when that one dies i'll take it back for another. if you fish alot(30 or more trips a year) they will last about 1-2 years, well within the replacement period. to start with i bought a deep cycle and a starting battery from wal mart, both died within 2 years but with the warranty both were replaced FREE. they may not be the very best but for about 160$ ive got 4 new batteries and when the lastest 2 die they go back for more FREE replacements. as far as holding charge and capacity, never had a problem. ive used the deep cycle for several 12 hour plus trip to run light, bait tank etc. the one ive got has 120 amp/h plenty of power for my needs.

13. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    I have Interstate MegaTron in my boat, but have had WalMart batteries in the years past. In my opinion, a cheap battery will work fine IF you maintain it. Always check the water, no matter how hot or cold it is. Low water level will ruin a battery every time. Most fisherman don't check their batteries' water level as much as they say they do.
    It doesn't take a minute to check and top off.

14. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    I only use deka or inerstate batteries :cool2: good maintenance is key:cool2:

15. MuddyWisker

MuddyWisker New Member

State:
    SD
    I got tired of dealing with the walmart never starts. The never starts work descent and typically last the length of the warranty, but not much longer. The problem I saw with them was there lack of ability to hold a charge. I always recharge when I get back to the house so the batts are ready the next time out. Might be a couple weeks later before I get to go again. Sure enough it'd be dead or weak. I'd take them back to walmart to exchange, they'd have to charge it (which takes hours, so numerous trips back), then check it, and then tell me it passed the check. But guess what when I needed it to perform a while later.
    Actually had a friend lone me (and eventually became mine) a 6 year old yellow top optima. That battery is now 9 years old. It has been abused beyond belief, sits outside all winter in the back of the truck (I use it to jump start other vehicles instead of burning my alternator), not to mention seasons of long boat rides in rough water. Charge it when I get home and never once had it fail me. Now I have two blue tops for the trolling motor, and the same yellow top for the crankin, livewell, lights, guages, ect. Expensive yes, but if they last this long, it has to be cheaper than replacing them every 1-2 years.

16. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    don't know whats wrong with your batt. but i charge mine and two ,three weeks later their ready to go.trolled two days straight on one,got home charged it,left the depth finder on,went to the river a week later with full charge.love interstate,but for the money everstart maxx is the way to go.have had my current boat 4 yrs. and the walmart batt. nearly the whole time still like new.

17. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    My brother in law bought me the largest everstar maxx battery they make . That thing wieghts 80 pounds . It should do me fine . Now I think I will get a solar charger . Anyone had one of them ? If so do they work worth a hoot ?

18. I had one on my last boat, it was a trickle solar charger, so it kept the battery nice and fresh daily when the boat sat. If ya got the room to put one on, I HIGHLY recommend it.

The batteries in my boat are Interstate Megatron batteries, I have had them for 4 years now and they are the same as when I got them, VERY GOOD BATTS.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2009
  19. low desert jonathan

low desert jonathan New Member

State:
    California
    The cheapest place I could find is Wal Mart, Don't know how good they are:big_smile: LDJ

20. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    if you want a chep battery find someone who buys and remanufactures them. The place i used to buy them in Forence, sc-for about half price.