boat and motors in Arkansas

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by catfishcentral, Jan 14, 2009.

1. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Hello,

I had a couple quick questions for my BOC brethren in Arkansas. I've been looking for a while a good 25hp motor to upgrade on my little boat. I found one in the Little Rock area that I'm going to look at while I'm here in Arkansas. In Oklahoma any motor over 10hp must be titled. From what I understand Akansas doesn't requre this...is this correct? Is there any paperwork that's filed with the state on boats or motors in Arkansas. I would recieve a bill of sale from the owner and I'm sure it's not stolen but still buying a motor from a complete stranger when my state requires a title or some other paperwork would help. I know I can file for a title in my state but it's much easier if you have one or some other form of paperwork to help prove ownership. Thanks

2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I do know that if the motor is over 50 horse you must carry Insurance on the boat, I do know the boat must be registered[sticker] and I do know the trailor must have tags but our tags are a one time deal, they never expire after the first buy. I have never heard of the motor being registered.

3. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    we dont have motor titles in Arkansas:eek:oooh: my brand new 115optimax didnt come with one :tounge_out: bill of sale probably notarized too be my guess..i would check your local tag agent & explain what your doing & see what ya need....it can become deadly quick!!!! you dont want a motor you cant use:wink::smile2: I will bet ya the bill of sale HAS to be notarized though

4. catfishcentral

State:
    OK

Exactly I'd hate to spend a grand on a motor that I can't legally register in Okla. I understand you don't need titles but is your motor registered at all with the state of Arkansas. I called my local tag ageny in my hometown and they told me if there's no title the motor should have some sort of local registration to bring in. I don't know if they know for sure or not. I'm trying to figure out to call to find out the truth.

5. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    The boat is regitered which lists the motor on the registration paper they are not seperate or at least mine is not:eek:oooh: we have to assess all vehicles including boats every year then pay taxes on them each year in arkansas. I do know that the Ft. smith area boat dealers will have your answer for you because we live right on the ok-ar boarder & they go through this all the time try looking up Whit's marine or Barling boat sales or cophers boats on line or dial information they can tell ya what to do ask for the people that do the title stuff sorry i dont have the #s!!!

6. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    Thanks for all your help there Sam. I ended up calling the Oklahoma Tax commission and finding out all I needed. I had to have the bill of sale notorized along with one other form of the okla tax website and another form filled out. I stopped by the tag office on my way home and all went well. New motor should really move this little 14 footer.