Boat and motor question

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by THE PAN MAN, Aug 29, 2009.

1. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    i got a shot at gettn a boat finally but got question for you people with boats. is a 25 hp evinrude jet propelled a good motor? its on a 16' flatbottom. that be a good choice? my usuall fishn hole is the mo river would it handle it? id apperciate anyones input on this that knows a lil somthin bout boats and outboards. thanx

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    It being a jet you will loose about 40% of your h/p. Now as for that being enough to fish the mighty mo. river you will have to get with some one who fishes that river.

3. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas

I would think so. I have a 4hp and everyone says id be fine in the KAW. so i would assume so! lol.

sounds like a great setup though! I'd go for it!

4. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ask whoever you're purchasing it from for a test ride (if practical) and go out on the river to see for yourself if it lives up to your expectations. Whatever you get make sure it's enough boat and motor to handle the situations you will encounter while fishing your favorite waters. Stay safe and stick a pig!!!:wink:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  5. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    good info but hes in central illinois and im in central mo. he sounded like a young guy on the phone hes wantn to trade for a trk i have and its a big 4wd all dressed up im kinda leary bout it,

6. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Yea i could see why you'd be leary about such a trade...You all ready now what you have, But have know idea with what you might get stuck with?

7. mulemann

mulemann New Member

State:
    MISSOURI JEFFERSON CITY
    ISAIAH,
    Theres lots of good used reasonable priced boats right here in Mid Mo. Look on craigslist online. I personally prefer at least 20 real HP on the Mo. but thats my opinion.

8. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    i have been lookn there on craigslist. i think thats what im gonna do is just by on. pretty partial to my ol trk neway. lol

9. DoubleD

DoubleD New Member

State:
    MO
    Great advice Dan, I bought an ole 72, 16 ft semi-v Richline with a 73, 25hp Evinrude w/ electric start and an 86 Rolco trailer last fall for $1000.00 out of craigslist and its been a great boat. I can get it out on the area lakes that have a maximum hp rating of 25 hp and still make it out on the big muddy.

10. rks1949

rks1949 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yeah,I agree with the rest. Keep the trike,too much money for a trade. The jet outboards do run well in skinny "shallow" water. Not the fastest,but really get you where others can't go easily. The down side is,very bad fuel mileage. I have a friend that has a 25hp mercury/jet on a 16 foot polarcraft. The boat will go around 19 miles an hour (with 2 people on board). It sucks fuel like crazy,but will run the shallows without any problems,so it's kinda a trade off. Ron