Boat and bank

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by adamj, Jun 22, 2009.

1. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    Just wondering how many of you boat guys will take your boat and set up and bank fish from different places throughout the night. I ask because I will do this frequently.

2. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    good qwestion, i plan on that wen i get one, so i would

3. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I fish the river with a flat bottam and not awhole lot of room in it so I go down river to the holes and bank fish.From my big boat though i fish from it on the lake.

4. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    If I find a great spot to flathead fish from the bank, I will make an overnight trip. Tie the boat, make camp, set clickers and have a fire, grill, drink beer, and relax in a lawn chair. When I get ready to sleep I set the clickers near my head and wait for my favorite alarm clock. If I find a better spot that has to be boat fished though, I will fish it from the boat and skip all the luxuries. For me it depends on how I think the spot needs to be fished. For channel I always boat fish and move frequently.

5. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    i never had much luck fishing from the boat! i'm pretty much from land. the boat was a little to big to find a shore spot from water.got rid of it and looking for decent sized john boat! then i would definately scout for land spots from the boat! shane

6. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I never get out of the boat and fish from the shore. But I fish close to the shore from my boat a lot. I only lake fish in the boat though.

7. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    I fish fro the shore from time to time good to get out of my little boat for awhile. leave the poles out and set the clickers and usually add bells and sleep till something goes off!

8. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I fish mostly lakes!! If I find a good bank spot I will tie the boat up and fish from shore. It is a bit quieter than sitting in the boat I think.

9. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I stay in the boat 100% for several reasons:

1) Mobility - I move around a lot and fish 5 or 6 or 8 spots over the course of the night. I don't stay in a spot for more than about 30 minutes without a flathead. Instead of staying in one place and hoping and waiting for fish to come to me, I prefer to go to them.

2) Access - None of my productive spots are fishable from shore. Even though I am usually anchored very near shore, the thick woods and downed trees, etc make it impossible to fish these spots from the bank.

C) Nerves - I like to see the gators eyes shine and listen to the wild pigs rooting around in the swamp and all of the other things that go bump in the night, but I am much more comfortable to know that they can't come and play with me without swimming and/or climbing in the boat!

10. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I seldom nite fish anymore, but unless I find a nice sandbar with high visibility of my surroundings, I stay in my boat. The thought of old "no shoulders"-snakes-lurking nearby won't allow me to concentrate on my lines otherwise.:smile2::smile2: Stay safe and enjoy the night fishing!!!

11. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I fish around Philly. so there are really no places to put a boat in so I have to bakn fish. Then they have big walls an alot of overhanging trees making some areas impossible to fish. I want to buy a canoe so I can launch it from a parking area and paddle across the river to the other shoreline that people can't fish. Then just park it on a big rock or point and set up the rods in vergin waters.:wink: I have a float tube that I am going to utilize this summer though.

12. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I do both, but to me you cant beat boating to a secluded hole, setting up a camp and waitin em out.
    I feel I do my best flathead fishin from the bank. Its easier for me to be quiet not to mention I have all the room I want, I can build a fire, and goin to the "bathroom" is alot easier.:smile2:
    Bank fishin definately has it challenges, but it remains simple and cheap.:cool2::smile2:

13. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    If I find a nice spot to bank fish or a nice sand bar I get out of the boat and fish from th bank.

14. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana

15. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    when i take the boat i usually stay in the boat and just fish tighter to the shorelines along structure, ta tell ya the truth out of all the times out fishin this year i've only had the boat out a couple times and did all my fishin from bank spots

16. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    I think I prefer to fish from the bank but I really like having a boat to get to the other places and away from the crowds.