Boat anchor rope

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Snappy, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Snappy

Snappy New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Just some advise. Don't let your anchor ropes or any ropes, lines, etc. lay around in the boat. I left one laying in the bottom of the boat and it came out running about 30mph and got caught up in my motor. It was not pretty. No damage done but a lesson learned. Does anyone have any tips on storing anchor ropes besides those bulky wench deals.

2. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I Use The "Claw" Type Anchors, They Fit In A 5 Gallon Bucket Well. So I Put The Rope In First Then The Anchor.

I Have A Lot Of Holes Drilled In The Buckets So They Don't Hold Water. It Works Well In The Event You Want To Wash Off A Dirty Anchor Or Rope, It Also Protects The Boat Deck, HTH, Elliot

3. Creek6

Creek6 New Member

State:
    OK
    I do the same thing with milk crates. Coil the rope inside the crate and put the anchor on top. Milk crates sit a little lower than buckets and won't tip over.

4. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I also use a milk create. The great thing about them is they wont turn over and it also has holes in it to let air flow throw and dry your rop so it doesn't mildew.

5. Snappy

Snappy New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Thanks for the info.

6. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Glad no one got hurt! People have drowned from getting "anchor rode" caught around there person and the prop!!
    I had a friend get my anchor rode caught around the prop, on my sailboat that had auxillary engine! It did $5000 dollars worth of damage and almost sunk the boat! Thank God for inssurance!

7. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    I got some cheap plastic containers at Walmart and poked some holes in it and like others have said I put the rope in and the anchor on top. I also take a bungee cord and strap it to the side of the boat where it is always handy.

ST

8. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I use anchor mates or a bucket. Plus i have the plastic rope grippers that you weavethe rope in and out of the fingers for adjusting the length . they also keep the anchor from rolling around in the boat.

9. Steve

Steve New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I use cord reels from Home Depot or hardware stores.
    Steve

10. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

This could be another use for buckets LOL

11. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thats the best way I have found also.Abu65

12. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    I use an old battery box to store my rope in. I drilled some holes in the bottom to let the water out. It seems to work grate and keeps the rope neat in the box.

13. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    I'd store it in a bucket if you've got the room... other option is if you've got your net on the deck just toss that over and hook it down with a bungee so it doesn't fly away... it can hold down the rope just fine...

14. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I store mine in a small container along with my anchor. My other short lines for tying off to the dock and such I keep in an older cooler with my drift socks. Never leave a line hanging over the side of the boat.Besides getting tangled in the prop it could pull you or your equipment out of the boat.

15. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    I usally anchor in fairly shallow water and use a 50 ft rope. I Just wrap it around the front and back cleat on the boat, they are about 12 feet apart, when I pull it up. I coil it and store it in the front box on the boat the rest of the time. I keep another 50ft of rope and another anchor there if I need more rope or want to use 2 anchors.

Jim

16. bigmic900

bigmic900 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    rollit it up on a elec cord reel