Boat Anchor configurations : Anchoring Boats Properly

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by C2catfish, Nov 14, 2005.

1. C2catfish

C2catfish New Member

State:
    Hurst, Texas
    I have a 20 ft. deck boat I am rigging for fishing. It is an older style boat that looks like a pontoon with the aluminum rails all the way around. I am wanting to research the right way to handle my anchors. I have many options available, but will most likely stay with a manual configuration right now. I have room for a winched system hanging off of my rails, but I'm not sure if the rails can handle the weight.
    What size anchor?
    Chain or no chain?
    What type of rope? color, stiffness,
    Length of rope?

Any help will be appreciated.

C2

2. C2catfish

C2catfish New Member

State:
    Hurst, Texas
    By the way, I will have two achors so as to get on the fish broadside.

I am only fishing lakes that usually go a max of 50 ft or so in depth.

C2

3. C2catfish

C2catfish New Member

State:
    Hurst, Texas
    I've read all the posts on anchors. I'm not wanting to learn what an anchor is so much as I want input as to which might work best for my situation.

I'm considering using a 5 Gallon bucket to keep the rope in but it sure takes up a lot of room.

I'm thinking of some system to coil the rope on the outside of my rails, then when needed there would be some sort of quick release. Sort of like the releases you find on vacuum cleaners.

What do you think?

C2

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    What type off bottom is going to make a big difference.Lots of snags you will need some kind of breakaway,lots of wind etc.For sure always use chain on your anchor rope,that increases the hope that the anchor will bite the first time,Anchor ropes come in various types depending on a number of factors.If I may suggest go to the West Marine website and they cover anchors ,ropes,chains, length of rope necessary and everthing else you would wan't to know.Including how to do it.

5. C2catfish

C2catfish New Member

State:
    Hurst, Texas
    Thanks for the reply Jim.

The bottoms will mostly be muddy lake bottoms.

I am thinking that anchors with the pointy blades would be much more prone to embedding themselves into a stump.

I will try West Marine, thanks

C2

6. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Curtis,
    there are quite a few variables to consider in order to answer your question. The first one may seem strange but how fit are you? If you are in good shape then a simple heavy anchor ( I use sometimes use one made of 4 rear-end gears welded together = 30lbs) will work. It won't need chain and it won't need a really long rope. It will however need to be heavy. A 20' deck boat will catch a lot of wind and so you will need to be sure the anchor won't drag. Second, do you like to move a lot? If so, you may not be inclined to haul up a heavy lump every time you want to move. If you are unable or unwilling to haul up a heavy anchor you will have to go for an anchor that works by science instead of weight. That leads to the next question: what is the lake bottom made of, mud, sand, rock? Is there lots of timber or other snags to get hung up on? Different designs suite different bottoms. Some work better with chain and some need 3-4 times longer rope than the depth. The idea of a rope storage device outside the boat is a good one for over the road or long cruises but consider that when you pull up anchor to make a move the rope comes in hand over hand and you won't want to spend the time wrapping it around the storage device each time not to mention that when the wieght of the anchor is on the end after it comes off the bottom it will be awkward to hold that weight AND stow the rope so it will probably just sit on the deck while you move to your next spot. If you don't like clutter a bucket may be the answer to keep the rope tidy. I have found that a thicker rope handles much easier than a thin one and is much less inclined to tangle but they take up more space so depending on your rope length a bucket might not hold it all. I hope all this is usefull...W

7. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    I use 25# river anchors with 5' of heavy chain tied on to 50' ropes on my toon. I remove the heavy long chain and add a adjustable link to use on my anchor winch on the front of the boat for the purpose of running and gunning.

8. fastfrank

fastfrank New Member

State:
    Elgin, Alabama
    To keep the anchor ropes in order, I use a plastic spool that is used to coil long extension cords. I got it in the elec. section at Wal-Mart. Cost about $5.00. It really works well, and I have a clip type coupler on the end, in case I use a longer anchor rope I can quickly "clip on" a second anchor rope.

9. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    As fastfrank mentioned in the previous post, the extension chord reels work great. Home depot has some braided rope that comes in 100 foot lengths and various colors. I opt for a bright color, easier to see. About 10 bucks for the 100 ft roll and 3/8 inch dia. Not hard on your hands, if you have to pull it in by hand, and it will work with the anchor mate anchor retrieval system.
    I use a homemade anchor that weighs about 23 lbs. Hard to explain it but will try to get a pic and post tomorrow.

10. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    well on my jon boat i have (2) anchors one in front and one in back, i use the cranks for a boat trailor which are mounted close to drivers seat, the line is run through a set of pullies in back and the front is running through about 15 foot of conduit pipe with pullies guiding the line through ... makes it real nice for realing in the anchors.. :0a26: oh if ya need pics i'll see if i can help ya out..

11. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Are you all putting 100' of rope on one of these reels? I haven't seen these so I'm having a difficult time trying to picture what this looks like. Sounds like a good idea. I don't like having rope laying all over the front of my boat but I haven't seen a good solution up till this point.

12. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Cattracker16, I'd like to see a pic or two of what you have rigged up. I like your idea. I'm working on a 15ft. Jon Boat and your idea sounds good to me. Thanks.

13. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    Give me a few days on the pics work has been busy busy busy and it's getting dark at 4:30.. this weekend is looking good for gettin out the camera and taking a few pics.. Hope i can figure out how to up load them on here.. kenny

14. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Thanks Kenny. I'd like to see that when and if you get a chance.

If you happen to have hp image plus on your computer as I do. You can resize your pics from that program. I open a new folder on my desk top and copy the resized pics to the folder.If it is a photo that I don't want to remain the smaller size, this is an easy way to save the smaller pic and still have the oranginal also. Then when you reply to the thread, it will prompt you to search for the attachment you want to upload. Just remember the name of the folder on the desk top and click the botton and pick that folder. The photos you want to upload will then open if you click them. I think you have to resize the pics to about 400x400 .
    Hope this helps some, it really is easy for me to use this program for this sort of thing.

15. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've often thought I use too much anchor. I usually use two, one in the front, one in the back. One is 18 #'s the other is 15# I think. The boat is a 14ft Deep V Bass TRaver Pro Guide. Would it be better to just use one bigger one, or the two like I have now?

16. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If there is room on the front of the boat for a cleat to tie the anchor line to, there is probably room to install a lightweight winch. I see them advertised all the time for $40-$50, and if you use small diameter airplane cable, you should be able to get enough on the winch.

17. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    C2 Here are pics of my anchor, Like I said in a previous post it weighs about 23 lbs, 4 foot of chain, the fins are from light gauge material so that they bend if hung up. I copied this from Catfish hunters anchor.

Attached Files:

18. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    Ok here are the pics hope they turn out.. 1st time trying to post pics on here if they don't show up email me and i'll send them your way... dkordway@netins.net make sure ya put BOC in title it'll be in my junk mail and i can find it that way kenny

Attached Files:

19. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    here are the rest of them can only up load 3 at a time :0a26:

Attached Files:

20. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Thanks Kenny, Now I've got a good idea how to rig mine up. Thanks again...