Boat Advice

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by alands94, Jun 9, 2007.

1. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Alright guys - I finally have received my wife's permission to go boat hunting :big_smile: My question is this: what type of boat would you recommend? Keep in mind that I have never owned a boat and I have very little experience fishing out of a boat. I do not need or want anything high performance, probably a 25 horsepower motor and a 9.9 for smaller lakes. I definitely want an aluminum boat, but I'm not sure if a flatbottom, semi - V, or V bottom would be most appropriate (my wife also mentioned a preference for a pontoon). I realize that there are pros and cons of each, but I want to buy something that will perform well in almost all conditions.

I will be fishing the Kaskaskia River, Baldwin, Carlyle (north of the trestle), and Washington County Lake in Nashville. I would also make trips to local strip pits, Rend, Crab Orchard, and Reelfoot Lake in Tennessee. My budget tops out at $5,000. Any and all suggestions appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Aaron.. In that price range, you'll have to look at good used boats.. And that will leave out pontoons.. Good used Pontoons start around 7,000.. It depends on what your comfortable with.. V bottoms are more stable, but not for skinny water.. Everybodies comfort zone is different, I prefer V bottoms, but for where you'll be fishing a good 1654 Jon would work.. A johnboat is also easier for 1 person to load and unload.. Just my opinion..

3. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Thanks, Harold. I was leaning towards a used jonboat anyway. I'll leave the pontoon for several years down the road. I look forward to seeing your boat in a couple of weeks at Catstock.

4. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I was in the same situation when I bought mine. Being my first boat, I wanted something I could take straight from the buying it to the lake ....

I ended up with a 16' (actually measures out close to 17) Grumman Side Console, 25 Johnson on the back (Local lake I frequent has a 25HP Limit)...
    Works GREAT for what I need. I don't do much river fishing on it. Its easy to trailer, pull, launch, etc alone. Big enough to fish 2 very comfy.... Bought it used...

5. mississippi man

mississippi man New Member

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    I have owned them all, and for 5,000 you could buy a fantastic river jon. You could probably find whatever you wanted, used of course. The fiberglass boats I have owned I didn't like taking to the river because the debris. That doesn't mean that I don't, I am extremely careful on any water. The pontoon boat I have is hard to load and unload by myself. But it is sooooo comfortable. I could mount recliners on it, oh, and a grill! I also have a small deckboat it is nice but I think I am gonna sell it for a jon. Whatever you get I would make sure it has a newer motor on it. If I had 5g's I would find a used jon 16-18 ft. and buy a new motor for it. Then I would find something of my wife's to sell to buy anchor's and such. LOL!

6. howards

howards New Member

State:
    IL.
    For the first boat I would go with with 16x48 or 50...So many small lake in Ill have a 10 horse lumit on them that would be the smallest i would go...but a good 25 would work too.

7. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    you definitely dont want to be taking a pontoon out on the kaskaskia (unless it opens up quiet a bit down ur way). I recommend going to craigslist.org, go into IL's webpage and look in the st. louis area and southern IL. There are always a lot of boats listed.

you can get a lot of boat for 5k. Just be patient and always willing to walk away from the first one. No rash decisions. Good luck

8. 3dukmn

3dukmn New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Keep checking Stltoday, and BND. You'll eventually find your boat.

Whatever boat you get, don't limit yourself to just north of the Trussels at Carlyle. Drift fishing the old river channel between the islands, and off point 6 can be pretty good.

ps - I used to live in Lebanon about 10 years ago. Was a member of the Volunteer Fire Dept, etc...small world huh.