Boat Advice – New Boat, 3rd Party Outboard?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by GaryF, Feb 4, 2008.

1. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I’m starting to get pretty serious about buying a new boat, a Lowe.
    Now Lowe only bundles their boats with Mercury outboards, giving me options for a 2 stroke or one of several 4 strokes, and they really want to sell me the Mercury 2 stroke. After doing some research, I think what I really want is the Lowe boat with an Evinrude E-tec. To do that, I’ll probably have to buy them separately, and get the Evinrude dealer to install the outboard.

My question is, is going against the manufacturers bundle like that a bad idea? I know it might cost a little more… I’m not even sure I’ll be able to find a dealer who wants to do it, but for now I’m trying to weigh the pros and cons before I talk to any more boat dealers. Things like possible warranty issues, performance problems, general headaches, etc? Any thoughts?

2. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Shouldnt be any issues Gary. I bought my Lowe and trailer without a motor. Bought and insalled my own motor. Had it by the dealer once to check out my insallation. No problems. All the boat manufacturer cares about is that you dont exceed the max h.p. rating (or motor weight rating if they have one), and that it is installed properly. An Evenrude dealer would be more than happy to sale you an E-Tech and install it on a Lowe. Just make sure they have a competant installer and they dont exceed the boat manufacturers specs.

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I;m going to do the same thing with my Lund. Get the boat and then get the motor of my choice mounted on it.
    I am not or ever had any problems getting done.
    It will be costing me a few Bucks to not go with the Mercury. And the only reason I am going without the Package. Is I am going with a 90 Hp Tiller motor and theres a deal called Titan non-powered steering system Makes a tiler motor steer more like power steering. Take your hand off the tiller handle and the motor does not turn.
    Pete

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Barry and Pete, thanks for the advice, it helps a lot. I’m a little green at this boat stuff, and wasn’t sure how it worked. With that encouragement I’m gonna try to get the E-tec if it doesn’t end up being too expensive of a choice. The boat is rated up to 75hp, but there is a pretty big weight penalty between the 60 and 75hp (240lbs vs 400lbs), so I’m thinking I will just do the 60.

That Titan sounds like a pretty good deal for a tiller steer. If I let go of mine the boat will be going in little circles pretty soon.

5. Nomdic1

Nomdic1 New Member

State:
    virginia
    Won't be a problem. Take the new boat to an E-tec dealer and let them rig it. Yes, it may cost you a little more, but get what you want. And you will love the E-tec. Just took my Seaark for its maiden voyage the other day, with a 150 E-tec, its a great motor.

6. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I don't have any advice for you but once you get it I'll be sure to help you test it out!! :wink:

7. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Geoff, I had you in mind for that job, lol.

I'm pretty well sold on the E-Tecs from what I've been reading. A 2 stroke that is faster, cleaner, and more fuel efficient than most 4 strokes. Not as quiet as a 4 stroke, but still very quiet for a 2 stroke. Simple design with no scheduled maintenance for the first 3 years. What's not to like..

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Not to start a motor war here. But I just don't think it will get that much better then a a 4-stroke.
    I have a Suzuki 140 4-stroke on my boat 2072 war-eagle. And theres a guy here with a 2072 War-Eagle with a 150 E-TEc , And I beat him on fuel millage. We ran the same and filled up at the same station. filled them up before and after. And I beat him by 2.1 MPG.
    Also looks more like 80 lbs between the 75 and the 60 E-Tec.
    I do like the no oil changes on the e-tec. But man that oil is sure high per gallon.
    Good luck with your new motor.
    Pete

9. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Pete

No motor wars from me, I'm learning here. Anything I say here is based on reading and no real world experience, so I appreciate the input.

I guess I forgot to look at the weight on the E-Tec 75. The E-Tec 60 and the Mercury 60 4 Stroke weighed about 240, and the Mercury 75 4 Stroke weighed almost 400lbs. I just assumed the E-Tec had the same jump in weight, but you are right, it's only 320lbs. That might make me reconsider the 75.

One of the selling points on the E-Tec was that it uses about half as much oil as other 2 strokes, but that still is a lot more expensive than oil changes in a 4 stroke I suspect.

"And I beat him by 2.1 MPG"

I'm curious what kind of fuel mileage you guys were getting? Just a ballpark number is fine, I just don't even have an educated guess as to what to expect.

Thanks

10. jcook77

jcook77 New Member

State:
    mo
    I dont know what the cash flow is, But ive had 2 lowe boats and wouldnt trade my lund for 10 semi loads of lowe boats. Im not trying to tell you what to buy.I took a pretty good hit on my last lowe and only had it 2 years.I lost about 12000 dollars and i took good care of it.It was a roughneck 19ft tc with a 175 evenirude.

11. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I was attracted to the Lowe mostly by the floor plan. I looked at Lund, Alumacraft, Tracker, SeaArk.. pretty much everything I could find including used boats, but I didn't find another boat this size with a walk through windshield and as much open floor space. I've got to go with a smaller boat size because it's got to fit in my garage, and I don't want to move or keep it in a storage unit, so my options are limited.

Other than the poor trade in value, what did you not like about your Lowe's?

12. jcook77

jcook77 New Member

State:
    mo
    I do know you might think of getting a tongue that swings on the trailer.

13. Laker2

Laker2 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    One thing you might want to think about is the Lowe is going to come set up with instruments for Mercury. Personally I would check out a 75hp Optimax. They are 2-stroke too.

14. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Ron,

I haven't said too much about the Optimax, but I haven't ruled it out either. The only negative I saw was weight - the Optimax 75 is 375lbs, and I still like the 240lbs of the E-Tec 60.

The boat is rated up to 400lbs, but I met 2 different people last year who had just had expensive transom repairs after the aluminum cracked. Now they may be partially to blame.. I don't if they were over capacity, using a transom saver, etc, but if I can accomplish what I want with a lighter engine then there are some advantages to that. Also, if I free up 100lbs with a lighter outboard, that's 100lbs more I can use towards sizing a big livewell, etc.

Thanks for the response!

15. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    I'm also starting to think seriously about a boat, and I was assuming, based on what i could find out, that a 4 stroke will get better fuel mileage than a 2 stroke, (all things otherwise being equal) and will not use that really expensive 2 cycle oil...?

Am I wrong?

16. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    That's a good point.

Unless you can special-order your boat from the factory with no pre-rigging at all, it's probably going to come with the Mercury controls and wiring harness already installed. You'll have to replace them with controls and wiring harness appropriate to whatever brand of motor you're getting. Make sure you're accounting for that extra cost when doing your motor research - just guessing, but probably $250 to $400 or so.

(BTW - I suppose it's a good thing the E-tec doesn't require mainteneance for 3 years; that'll be 3 years that you won't get taken to the cleaners at that big Evinrude dealer up by Smithville Lake... :roll_eyes: I've heard enough unpleasant stories about the service dept there to keep me away... :eek:oooh:)

Wish your new boat was rated for 115, as I've got a nice 2006 Yammie 115 I'd gladly separate from the boat it's on...

17. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Depends on whose infomercial you believe...

There's no single "right" answer - the best fuel economy results from a combination of boat, motor, prop and operator. A great boat/motor/prop combination in the hands of an idiot (or a determined infomercial producer) will perform poorly.

18. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Marty, That's a pretty good guess on the rigging, I talked to an Evinrude dealer today and he estimated $450 for the controls, etc. Even with that it looks like I can put this together with the Evinrude E-Tec 75 for $1500 less than the Optimax or 4 stroke 75 bundles... I still have one loose end on all of that, but it looks promising. FYI I've heard good things about U.S. Boatworks, they are an Evinrude dealer in KCK, and that is who I've been talking to.

I took a look at the specs on your boat for sale... if there were a way to scrunch it down 2-3 feet I might have seriously considered it. It will be a good deal for someone. 115 HP would probably destroy this little boat.

19. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Evinrude claims the best economy for the E-Tecs, as does Mercury Optimax, as does Honda, etc. There are so many variables that it's hard to compare, but what is pretty clear from my research is this...

• Modern 2 strokes such as E-Tec and Optimax are very close to the newer 4 strokes in fuel economy and pollution control.
    • Older, carburated 2 strokes get very poor fuel economy and polluted much more.

20. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    shouldnt be any issues, buy what u want !!!!!!!!!!!!!!