Blythe/Twin Palms 6/26-6/29 08

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA RIVERS TALK' started by Guns & Cockpits, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Guns & Cockpits

Guns & Cockpits New Member

State:
    California
    Headed out on Thursday afternoon round about 5PM, and got to the river around 9PM. Naturally the only thing that I dug out of the car was my poles and my tackle box and headed on down to the boat with my freshly thawed frozed makerel.

9PM is a little bit late of a start time, but it seemed ok. It wasn't more than 15 minutes or so (three songs by way of my iPod) than I had my first fish on. The one thing I HAD forgotten to take to the boat was the net, so I learned the hard way the difficulty that is reaching down off of a pontoon boat to land a fish with one hand and holding a rod with the line taught in the other while laying on your belly. Needless to say, it was the last time I forgot the net.

I wound up landing 5 on Thursday, fished from 9PM until about midnight. Friday and Saturday, however, I fished from the start of the Angels/Dodgers games until midnight, and landed 7 on Friday, and 9 on Saturday. All on cut makerel. All fish ranged in size from 5-12 lbs. or so, and all of them were channels. The bite was hard, so I'm sure they were hungry. I triend throwing some hot dogs out there from time to time, but they never touched them. But the makerel was definetely getting the bite.

Here's the bad end of the deal: while I landed quite a few fish each night, I had WAY more fish on than that. I don't think I ever went more than 15-20 minutes without a fish on. But my knots were coming untied! I was losing hooks at an unbelievable rate, and I have absolutely no idea why. It's the first time that I have ever fished and had the clench knot let me down. I was fishing a simple Carolina rig, little sinker and red bead, barrel swivel attached with a clench knot, 8 lb test leader with a clench knot, and a Gamakatsu 3/0 Octopus hook with a clench knot, and no matter how hard I tried or how much I focused on my knots, they kept coming untied on me. Never at the swivel, always at the hook. And I know it was the knot because of the snarled line at the end. If anyone has any ideas for me as to why that might have been happening, I'd sure love to hear it. It was a first for me, and I'd like to make sure that it's the last time for me as well.

I had planned on heading down to the dam to fish, but with the bite being pretty good for only fishing a few hours each night, I couldn't think of a reason why I'd leave the comfort of my own front yard and my moored boat. So I didn't!

Anyone heading on out that way, pick up some frozen makerel. It's definetely the hot ticket right now!

I've got a couple of photos that I'll add tomorrow. I only had the camera on the boat with me one night. After the last incident involving me, a boat, and a camera, the wife only lets me have the camera on special nights...

2. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    I use the Improved clinch Knot for almost all my fishing and sometimes I get into the habit of tying it wrong with the same result
    Slow down and watch what you are doing and you'll probably see that you are drawing the tag end up on the knot before pulling the knot tight on the hook. Make sure the knot is not crossing itself when you draw it tight and
    Always, Always, Always, Check your Knot by puling on the line while holding the hook with pliers before using it.

3. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Switch to polymer knot.

4. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Don't know about that, Chris.
    MY knot has landed me some pretty good sized Tuna with out slipping or breaking and I can attest to the fact that tuna big make big catfish look like wimps.
    I've sen my buddy tha fishes a Palomar Knot loose plenty of fish because the line broke at the knot.

5. expressbiomed

expressbiomed New Member

State:
    california
    Erick,

New to the board. I will agree that mack was the hot ticket this weekend. Also had some luck on night crawlers. Me my son and dad fished the back water just below the I 10 bridge. we all caught fish. I will say it was a challenge to navigate the boat at night. I will be going back this Thursday for the big weekend. Hope the fishing is still hot.

6. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Welcome to the BOC, Garrett.
    Nice dodo in that avatar.
    I'm going down to East Cape in about a week an a half. I hope to get one that size while I'm there.
    Have fun at the river but leave a few for my next trip.

7. Guns & Cockpits

State:
    California

Good luck to you Garrett. I've never had much luck fishing on holiday weekends out there. Too many drunks running boats and loud music all night long. It should be a heck of a fun weekend though, it'll just be a big bonus if you can land some big'uns while you're there!

Stay safe!

8. expressbiomed

expressbiomed New Member

State:
    california
    Tom,

Nice to meet you. That dodo was caught two years ago. It was taken off a kelp paddy 90 miles south in to Mexico. I think I met you about a month and a half ago. You where with Bert in the back water near blythe. It was either you or Gary at least I think. Good luck in the East Cape.
    I very much agree with you about the Palomar knot. I've seen this knot fail quite a bit. Especially on big fish that pull hard like tuna and yellow tail. I'm sure the Palomar knot is very good in a fresh water setting.

9. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Garrett, if that was down by McIntyre park it was most likely Burt and Gary fishing from Gary's open tracker. I was down there with Burt but we were with Ray in his North River Boat with the canopy up and there would have been three of us. I was the handsome one with the beard.
    Chris is inexperienced at salt water fishing, so he doesn't realize the huge difference between the strength of salt water fish compared to fresh.
    I've caught dodos fishing as far north as Newport, but I have yet to catch a big one. My best so far hasbeen about 20 lbs. I hope to remedy that this trip.

10. Guns & Cockpits

State:
    California
    Here's the only pic that really came out worth a hoot. This guy was caught on Saturday night. He's maybe a little smaller than about the average size that we were catching.

Attached Files:

11. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Nice channel Erik. Do you camp out or stay at the nearby hotels? I heard it is too hot during the day to do much. One day I make it out to the river.

Jaime

12. Guns & Cockpits

State:
    California
    Neither, my family has a place on the river just north of Blythe, so we stay there. During the summer months, for the most part, I do my sleeping in the middle of the afternoon when it's at the days hottest. Then I just fish most of the evening and night. That's when the kitties come out to play anyway.

13. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    That is too cool! I would like to go in late August I just need to get some info on where to stay. Hope fully when the time gets near you can give me some info on where to fish etc, etc. I hear Mayflower is a good place to fish.

Jaime

14. Guns & Cockpits

State:
    California
    Mayflower is a good place to fish. The current is pretty strong anywhere in that area, so it adds a new element to the game if you're not used to it. I've found that it makes the fish less choosy about what they eat, and also less apt to avoiding food because of sinker weight. But it is a challenge keeping your bait where you want it, especially if you're boatless and fishing from the shores.

I'll be happy to help you with some good places to fish in that area in August, there's plenty of them!

15. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Boy Jaimie, you sure picked the hottest time of the year to try the river for the first time.
    You should try and get down that way in May or June when the temps are hovering around 95- 100 degrees.
    When you get into Aug. the temps average about 10 degrees hotter and the humidity is normally up making it feel hotter.
    I'm not trying to discourage you from going but you need to be prepared for what to expect.
    The desert is nothing to take lightly for people of your and my size. make sure you protect yourself.

16. Guns & Cockpits

State:
    California
    This man speaks the truth. It can reach 125-130 in late July and August in the hottest areas out there. I've spent a great deal of my life on that river during all times of the year, so that doesn't cross my mind much, but if you're not used to the heat, be prepared. You'll need a place with a good A/C for the weekend. We do a lot of our sleeping during the hot hours of the day, and our playing at night when it's tolerable.

We spent last week on the river, and it was 115-120 every single day. The good news is, once you hit about 110 or so, after that it's just HOT. My body stops telling the difference at that point.