blythe tips anyone

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA RIVERS TALK' started by rucker, Aug 1, 2009.

1. rucker

rucker New Member

State:
    CA
    i fished the area before around goose flats and a few other places caught some smaller model all under 10 pounds! so this time im looking to break the 20 pound mark i got 3 days to do it. I'm not looking to catch any channels we caught at lease 100 pounds of those in Yuma 3 weaks ago! i no were to get bait all my rods are spooled with 40lb. test so i'm ready

i have a couple of questions if anyone could help it would be appreciated

1) is there a ice house out there i know of one in Indio that i use? if there is can i get the number
    2) im going out to blythe tuesday does anyone have any tips on getting those flat heads?

2. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Welcome to the BOC Ron..... cant help you on an "ice house"... sounds like you are not a CPR guy...LOL.... I just get the ice etc at the local Albertson..... Hit up B&B baits north of town... 6th ave?... bait and advice on where to go.... Have you got a boat?

3. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Welcome Ron to the BOC

4. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    West up Rucker and welcome to the BOC. Even if you don't cpr we have a place for you here as long as its in limits and regulations its just a matter of preference thats all. As far as spots to fish on in Blythe are you doing boat or shore? I do shore most of the time myself and tend to have just as good or better luck that way. This weekend alone some friends of mine fished the canals and picked up a a 29.5 pounder and a 26 pound flat. I have not flathead fished much this year myself due to other reasons but I have had a few tournaments 2 in blythe area and 2 in the Imperial valley area. Even have one coming up on the 22nd of this month if you are interested for the imperial valley area. If anything else of specifics you need pm me. You can also check out the WCCM thread for tournaments here on the BOC for info regarding upcoming and past tournaments this year. Take care!

B

Best scenario is to fish the canals as they are biting now and pick a spot with structure and use gills or tilapia and you can figure out the rest.

5. rucker

rucker New Member

State:
    CA
    thank everyone for all the help.my family has get to gathers and we fry lots of fish, 3 guys that bring home 7 to 10 cats a peace can easily make 100# in Yuma. o yea i don't eat catfish! i mostly eat crappie. west west yall

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  6. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Rucker.... you didn't mention if you had a boat ... buy check out the canals or drains south of Blythe... get some gill or talapia for bait and dont forget the bug spray... again check with B&B baits or store on Palo Verde

Man, your missing some good eating not eating cat fish.... I like to eat just crappie as well.... or white bass.. but my fishing get all fish... but then I like to have folks around so we can all eat some fish...:wink:

7. rucker

rucker New Member

State:
    CA
    i am a bank beater! got 2 bottles of 100% deet. 1 in the tackle box other in the glove box. i learned my lesson from down there those mosquitos had my hands swollen to the point i could just close them a little! they look like they were going to buss. i thought i had a reaction to something! yea don't forget the deet

8. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC Ron

9. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Most def. I rarely eat catfish myself. I am a rock cod and red snapper man. Crappie too. Eat those like candy. My family are the cat eaters around me. I sometimes eats flats but thats only a few times a year. I can tire of eating cats. My sisters gobble them up, and I have 3 sisters too. LOL.

10. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Wear some light gloves next time. Thats what I do. Oh also the deet and Teekie sticks will help too. I even wear windbreakers at night may be warm but at least it helps with the stings.

11. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i wear the long sleeve white shirts. more cotten in them, the better cause i soak them and put them on during the day to stay cool. at night, protects froms the skeeters.
    gary

12. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Welcome To the BOC, Ron.
    My best advice for you would be to make sure you wash that Deet off your hands before handling your bait. You can reapply after baiting but that stuff seems to repel fish as well as mosquitoes.

13. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Welcome to the BOC Ron. I would say go try the Palo Verde area in the canals and not the neat clean looking ones. The ones with structure and s@#! in the water, where the water looks like chocolate milk. Not from down there, but I have been schooled by folks that fish there often. Good luck on your trip.:wink: