Blythe/Palo Verde 6/3- 6/9 2008

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA RIVERS TALK' started by plumbertom1, Jun 10, 2008.

1. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Picked up Bert at Bob Hope airport in Burbank and headed out the 210 east.
    We stopped for a Mexican breakfast at a little place in Azusa then continued onward.
    Turned south on the 15 for a stop at the BPS in Rancho Cucamonga, Bert had never been to one and I was looking for a new net with an extending handle.
    After we finished there, went south to the 10 and east again to Blythe.
    Crossed the river into Az. and saved $.46/gal. on a diesel fill up.
    Can't explain that, there is only $.10/gal. difference in tax.
    Ran up north of Blythe to B&B bait and picked up some crawlers and such. They were out of Goldfish but said they would have them after 4PM the next day. We left and went to fish for tilapia and sunfish, got a few for the bait bucket, just none too big.
    Then a stop at the market for some thing to go in the ice chests.
    Anyway, after grabbing some Popeye's chicken for later we drove south toward Palo Verde and started checking out the out flow canal until we came to a spot that looked like we wanted to fish it. Set up and started fishing.
    We put up my new tent without the rain fly so it would vent and settled down for serious fishing.
    Managed to pull out two small flats one for me and one for Bert in the 5-6 lb range. I may not seem like much but it was Bert's first flathead. That was all for the night.
    In the morning I ran into Palo Verde for ice and while I was out I went to Cibola and fished a little for gills, caught two good sized ones and headed back to camp with a stop at a store for a couple of homemade beef and potato burritos.
    We hung out with our lines in the canal all day with no action untill after dark except for one small channel about 2lbs Bert caught while fishing for sunfish.
    Late afternoon I made a trip to B&B for goldfish and stopped by to see Dale and Billy Joe and admire Dale's new boat for a few minutes before picking up a couple of burgers and going back to where I left Bert at camp.
    On into the night we fished. A little after dark I caught one more of those little rat flatheads, looked like the third of the same hatch.
    Then I put on one of those Big Gills I caught, I knew they were too big for the rats to eat, and sure enough after a couple of hours it took a hard run down the ditch.
    I was using a 9/0 circle hook so I closed the bail and waited for the pole to load up then just started reeling hard.
    Man, I could tell this was no rat fish. He pulled out line and came back a little before pulling some more, I could see my line running back and forth across the canal and the occasional surface break by the star light ( there was no moon), When it would make a run to the brush I told my self to stay calm, f he ran in them he would run back out.
    Eventually I brought it shore and Bert manned my new net to get it out of the Water. Turned out to be the best flathead I've caught in 30 years, somewhere between 15 and 20 lbs. I'd guess.
    The wind was blowing like you wouldn't believe all day long. Bert tried to nap in the tent and was getting sand blasted by the sand fine enough to get through the mesh screen, and it continued to blow all night, at times blowing my tent close to flat. While we were sleeping in the tent several times it gusted so hard that the tent poles hit me in the head. But it calmed down in the morning.
    We broke camp poured the sand out of the tent and moved up river to Mayfair park and got a camp spot for the Gathering. Put up the tent again (it's a two pole dome so it goes up quick) unloaded the camp gear and we were ready
    Ray rolled into camp and got set up while Bert and I were out trying to get some bait at the canal and when we got back we ran up river for a few hours to fish with no result.
    We fooled around in camp and tried for bait in the river the next day then Ray and I went out in the evening to try again while Bert went out with Gary to fish down river at McIntyre park area. The wind was blowing up river making the boat spin around over our lines and generally causing havoc so we called it an early night.
    Saturday we hung in camp. Around 2:30 PM Dale, Billy Joe, Ryan and Sandy came to our camp and started putting together a fish fry for us all.
    I opened up a couple cans of ranch style beans and heated them on my stove as Sandy used it to cook up a big pot of Cheese Grits while BillyJoe and Ryan prepared the catfish. Dale manned his deep fryer and roasted some ears of corn on the gas grill he brought. We had a fine meal in a short bit and everyone seemed to enjoy the food and camaraderie.
    After clean up we all went back to get ready to go out for the final night's (for most) fishing.
    Ray, Bert and I went down river to McIntyre and caught a hand full of sunfish for bait out of the lagoon there then ran out into the river to fish. Tried in few spots and one of them produced a couple of small channels (less than 2 lbs.) for Bert and one flathead about 6 lbs for me. That was it for the night.
    The next day everyone was packing up to go home Ray Bet and I went up river by road to a launch ramp about 6 miles above the diversion dam and took a boat ride on the river. We fished a little and caught a few under sized small mouths, then ran back to camp so Ray could hook up and leave for home.
    Bert and I went out to fish the main irrigation canal not far from the Park.
    I put out a goldfish while Bert fished with a goldfish and some stinky stuff.
    My gold fish kept acting like it was getting bit but then it didn't run. After watching that for few times I reeled it in and discovered it's belly had been torn out by a turtle. So I switched to stink bait. Never got a bite.
    Bert, however, did get a bite. After waiting for ever his pole finally went bendo big time. He fought it to shore where I used my extended handle net to corral it. I brought it up into the light and it was a carp about 7-8 lbs. that ate his stink bait.
    We fished a while longer then called it a night.
    The next morning we went into Blythe for breakfast and then back to pick up camp and the drive back to L.A. I dropped Bert off at the airport about 5:30 pm then went the rest of the way home.
    I didn't take a lot of photos but you can view them at;
    http://picasaweb.google.com/plumbertom1

2. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Next time try and join us. The river is the place for flatheads.
    Although I've heard they have been stocking them at Irvine Lake for the past year.

3. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    I thought we invited you to come join us.
    Gatherings are open invitations to all members and other people interested in fishing for catfish.
    As far as getting lost if you can find the I-10 east and follow it you will find Blythe. The river is about 1mile east of the Albertsons store so it's really hard to miss if it's daylight and even dificult to miss at night, after all there is a bridge.

4. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Thanks for the post and pics Tom.... just worked on three pics of the "Boys fishing" and the "moon set" that we experienced last week end.....

Bayrunner Ray

5. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Hi Tom,
    That is one serious flathead! Too bad I did not see you this time.. I pretty much stayed on the river...

good job on the flathead... I think i tried just about tried every bait available but could not hook up..
    :big_smile:
    ~A

6. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Tom,
    I could not have told that story better myself buddy, (who am I kidding' :0a14: - I could not have told that story that good at all :embarassed:) LoL
    But I just want you to know that:
    It was a pleasure to fish with you & all of you guys there, "I had a ball"!!!!!

Take It Easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:(Granddaughter)

7. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Yeah Andy, I did take a pic of your boat while it was docked by Dales and we went past you on the river Thursday night.

8. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Hey Tom, do you think I would be ok using my 12ft boat with a 55lb thrust trolling motor on the river??? I wanted to come join you guys but I was not sure because of this reason. Glad all of you guys had fun it looked like a blast. Maybe next time, Anthony

9. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    I've seen it done.
    I would just say only go up river though, The releases at the diversion dam tend to change without notice and the current can get to be pretty strong.
    Up by Topoc I saw three persons in a small boat with a trolling motor that went down stream and ran out of power. They were rowing the boat upstream trying to get back. They were making headway but sure was slow.

10. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Thanks, I will try to make the next trip you guys have. I do have three batteries so its worth a try till I get a real boat.:embarassed:

11. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Apache Flats.... If you had the trolling motor on the front ya might have a better chance of getting thru the current.... My 12ft boat has both, but the one in the front will pull better in the wind/current .... but look for a transom gas engine in the mean time...

Bayrunner Ray

12. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Thanks Ray, I am really close to a new boat in couple of years and I am trying to hold off on any expences unless I have to replace a battery. I have thought about a small gas engine if I can get a deal, but then again you get what you pay for right?:smile2:

13. Guns & Cockpits

Guns & Cockpits New Member

State:
    California
    Thanks for the report, fellas. I grew up south of Twin Palms at Wind Rivers, just outside of Blythe, and I haven't had the chance to get out there for fishing just yet. Next weekend I'll be there for sure fishing the banks and the Palos Verde dam. I was going to head out there last weekend, but the wife and I ended up fishing trout out of the June Lake Loop in the Eastern Sierras instead.

I've never used goldfish before out on the river, do you guys have a specific size you recommend? I'm up for trying anything!

Oh, and one more question, where are y'all fishing for tilapia out there?

14. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    As far as the size of goldfish the bigger the better, but unless you bring them with you, your limited to what B&B has to sale.
    You can catch tilapia out of any of the drainage canals that have a little open water.
    I use a #8 hook dropshot rigged about a foot above a split shot with a enough nightcrawler to cover the hook.

15. Guns & Cockpits

Guns & Cockpits New Member

State:
    California
    Thanks Tom, I'm thinking a quick stop at a Wal-Mart should cure my needs for both goldfish and nightcrawlers, I'll just have to figure out a way to keep the goldfish alive until I get out there.

16. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Put them in a bucket of water with an aerator (you can get that from Wally world also), they are real tolerant of high temps but don't let them get too hot.
    But you'd be better off to get your goldfish from B&B in Blythe.
    They usually have them and they are around 3"-4" for about $10 a dozen, I don't think Walmart has them in that size.
    You still need a bait bucket.

17. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    different type of goldfish too. B&B has the hardier ones.
    gary

18. Moonlightn

Moonlightn New Member

State:
    California
    Nice report Tom!! Is it legal to use bullhead as bait in the Co. river?

19. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Reading what the regs say, I would say no.
    They are not listed in the excepton.

4.15. Bait Fish Use in the Colorado River District. [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Except as provided below, live or dead fin fish [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]shall not be used or possessed for use as bait [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]in the Colorado River District: [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial](a) Live or dead golden shiner, fathead minnow, [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]red shiner, mosquitofish, longjaw mudsucker, threadfin shad, goldfish, sunfish, molly, and [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]dead carp may be used in all Colorado River District waters. (b) Live carp may be used only at the location where taken. (c) Tilapia may be used in the Salton Sea, and may be taken for bait only within the area bounded by Highway on the north and east and Highway 86 on the west and south (except as in subsection (d) below. (d) Tilapia may be taken and used for bait in the Colorado River and its associated backwaters only within the area bounded by Palo Verde Diversion Dam south to the Morelos Dam. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]NOTE: See subsection 4.05(b) [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

20. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Looks like you huys had a great time, except for the sand blasting.