Blythe, CA

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by StinkyFeet, Feb 12, 2007.

1. StinkyFeet

StinkyFeet New Member

State:
    California
    Hello to all,
    My buddy and I are going to Blythe, CA to do some Catfinshing and would like to know what is the best time to go catfishing, what is the best bait and maybe some good spots. I'm not new to fishing just new to freshwater catfishing and need some help.
    thanks for your time
    wendal

2. tigger_tat_55

tigger_tat_55 New Member

State:
    cali
    hi there,

welcome to the BOC, there is a gathering the first weekend of may in blythe. check out the gathering page. as far as time to go down that way. I start around april mostly. some go all year.

3. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Welcome to the BOC Wendal.
    Bay Runner Ray (gilmafam) and I are going to the Colorado River next week for a couple of days of catfishing and maybe a try at some crappie.
    We will be in the Topock Marsh area a good ways upriver from Blythe.
    A lot of people fish the river for flatheads and channels year round, the bite just slows when the water is cold.
    Your best bet for flatheads is to use live bait.
    Goldfish (carp) are legal to use in the lower river and are usually available at the local bait shops in Blythe.
    Bluegill, tilapia, and shad are also all good bait but you have to catch your own.
    Channels are good on chicken livers dipped in stink bait and mackeral along with all the other usual baits.
    Throw nets are legal to use from a boat or the Arizona side of the river, not on the Ca. side.
    Make sure you purchase an Az. river stamp for your Ca. fishing lic. if you plan to fish from a boat on the river or the Az. bank of the river.
    If you plan to fish from the bank north of Blythe watch carefully for signs that you are on reservation land, that requires a reservation fishing permit.
    Good luck at the river.

4. doomz

doomz New Member

State:
    California
    I was looking for that Blythe gathering post and I couldn't find it. Can you tell me that gathering date...Thanks

5. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    I tried to get you a direct link but couldn't make it work. So if you go to the control panel and locate "Member Gatherings" and scroll down to this topic I think you'll find what you are looking for.
    2nd Annual AZ - CA Colorado river camp-fish

6. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    hey there Wendal welcome 2 the boc

do most all my fishn in blythe, have a trailer on the river so i make down a few times a month

Wendal blythe has some good fishing, if u have a boat it will help alot or ya can find a few spots to fish the bank or ya can fish the canals for flats and channels also or u can fish the "pipes" in the drain canals for giaint flats, Tom perty much ansewrd most things, the one thing if ya fish from a boat the water will rise and fall up to 3' a day with high water in the am and low water being around 5pm and will not start coming up untill after midnite. fishing for the flats is best at nite, if u go out at nite make sure u have something warm to put on unless ur fishn in july or aug. then it can be real warm at nite

the bite will start to pick up mid march 4 the channels and by mid april 4 the flats, as far as bait the blue gills are bait of chose 4 the flats and my best luck has been hog wild primo dip bait or something simaler or shrimp 4 the channels

o ya, ya can fish for some of the best small mouth fishn anywere

7. StinkyFeet

StinkyFeet New Member

State:
    California
    Thanks to all,
    I really appreciate all the good advance. I'm looking forward to going and even if I don't catch anything, I'll still enjoy. We are going to yellowstone this summer and am looking forward to that.
    take care and God Bless.
    Wendal

8. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Hey Wendal, I plumb forgot to ask if'n ya been keepin yer stink bait in yer shoes? If'n ya keeps it in th' ice box mayhap your feet won't stink so much. Don't do much for the butter tho.

9. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    hey dan and all we came up with a date for the gathering for the 1st weekend of may 5/3 to 5/6

10. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Yeah!!!! And the halibut and WSB should be going good by April.
    Looks like it's going to be a good year for fishing trips.