blugills on yo yo's

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by katfish hunter, Feb 4, 2006.

1. katfish hunter

katfish hunter New Member

State:
    Jacksonville,FL.
    Me and my dad went bluegill fishin today.We set up about 6 or 7 yo yo's using nightcrawlers for bait.We caught about 5 keepers in 1 hour.Does anyone use yo yo's for bluegills?

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    you know i was lookin at yo-yo's today at bass pro thinking the same thing. but then i imagined a 15lb flat coming after that hooked bluegill, or bass (what i was thinking about buying them for) and destroying the yo-yo and ripping it from the tree. needless to say i didnt buy any:D

3. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I have caught a few blue gill off the yo-yo's but I was crappie fish and they hit the smaller minnow.

4. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I'm not familiar with them...but from what I just read I'm assuming that it's an adaptation to a limb line?

5. katfish hunter

katfish hunter New Member

State:
    Jacksonville,FL.
    yes, its very similar to a limb line except for the fact that it keeps constant pressure on a fish and sets the hook automatically.

6. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    A good solution to the problem of having the flathead grabbing the bluegill is to use a light wire hook, so that way if one DOES grab the gill, it will just bend the hook straight, and you still have the yoyo undamaged.

7. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I wouldnt use yo-yo's for catching blue gills for one reason, like Mike said, flatheads and large fish would destory the yo-yo's. I think that yo-yo would be good for catching fish in a small pond but nothing beats the good ol ultra lite rod with a worm on the hook.

chris

8. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I got my first yoyo on Thursday. Got it for a Birthday Present. Gonna gry it out soon for eatin sized channels.

9. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Nothing beats beating the bushes for bull bluegills or shellies with light or ultra light gear from 4-6# test...or even just fishing the little guys on ultra light and 2# test! I don't see any excitement in the entire limb lining thing. I know guys that will catch 'gills for me for bait...but I don't...I'd rather catch my own. How effective is a yo-yo? Can it be fished with multiple hooks, or do you have to set a bunch of them to get any kind of turn around? I can see limb lining for cats were you really only need to catch one fish to make a heck of a catch, but if you're lucky with 'gills and other sunfish, you might get one over a pound. Maybe I'm missing something here...