Blues vs Flatheads

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by mhbomber, Jul 5, 2008.

1. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    Well the fishing up here has been treating me well lately...the blue cats at least. I have caught my fair share of decent blues in my days but have not caught any flatheads. Here is my question...a big blue cat or a big flathead...which do you think is more fun to catch? Do you think one puts up a better fight than the other?

2. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    They both are fun to fight but also fight totally different. The blues make lots of hard runs while constantlly shacking there heads and flatheads are just pure power but dont make many runs ususally just straight back down when you get them up. The hug the bottom and are very gfood for getting you hung up. I love both of them.

3. MSgtCatfish

MSgtCatfish New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I love fighting them both, but they are different beasts. It's hard to say which one is harder. let's compare two 50 pounders. A 50 pound flathead is going to the bottom as soon as you stick him, so you better have some good abrasion resistant line, a rod with a back bone, and a good reel with good drag or he is gone like a freight train. A 50 pound blue in a river (different than a 50 pound blue in a lake IMHO) is going to peel some drag, strong fish, sitting around fighting current his whole life, he's just trying to get going on his pu-pu-pu-pu plower chug-a-lug-a-luggin 30 mile an hour on his international harvester, and if he takes you in the current, better get ready for an extended fight.

I personally enjoy fishing for flatheads, not necesarily for the fight but because it's more like hunting.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dont have blues in my area, and have never caught one.

But I know a guy who has caught many big blues and flats.

He told me you could tie a 40-lb blue to a 40-lb flathead and the flat would tow the blue around all day hardly knowing it was there?

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    The big flathead is the harder to get in. The blues are the most exciting. So it remains a toss up according to me. Just depends on what type of challenge you are looking for

6. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Flats are more explosive, they can ease up to the boat, then BAM they'll have a quick burst and head back towards bottom. Blues aren't as explosive, but will pull hard and steady longer than a flathead. I think if you tied 2 50 lbers tail to tail the flat would take the lead at first with a quick powerful burst, but I think the blue would eventually win out with its strong steady pull and more endurance. My PB blue is over 50 lbs. bigger than my PB flat, though, so I'm a little biased towards the blue cats :big_smile:.

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I would take a 50lb channel cat over a blue or flat anyday.

Channel cats are the hardest fighters of the 3 species.

8. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Word.

Around here, the blues have taken over from the channels, to the point that large channels are just about a thing of the past. It's a shame.

9. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I agree 100% With that. I would have to say if anyone was to ever do battle a gain with a 50lb channell they would have 1 heck of a fight on there hands. Lb for Lb a channell is the hardest fighter.

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I think both are fun to catch.

11. Redneck1

Redneck1 Guest

From what I've experienced as a noodler, a blue cat is a lot meaner, bites a whole lot harder, and is more powerful than a flathead.
    :big_smile:

12. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    I haven't caught a flathead (yet!), but I have caught some blues, and they were definitely a lot of fun!

Deb

13. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    flathead catfish I fought a 30lb shovelhead in current wow that was fun running 30 big game with a 8 foot berkley catfish pole on a zebco 888 metal reel that was 10 minutes of adreline rush my vote flatheads. also by the way in the gmr shovelheads are the top of the food chain besides the smallmouth, saugeye, channel and carp fisherman is number brute in the gmr besides blue are not normally in the gmr too closest place besides the paylakes is the ohio river and hamiltion county parks that stock them rick

14. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    not supposed to stick your hand in a blue cats mouth, or a big channel they have a lot harder bite than a flathead. no wonder you think blues fight alot harder you were probley screaming the whole time he was crushing your hand....LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    flathead catfish I fought a 30lb shovelhead in current wow that was fun running 30 big game with a 8 foot berkley catfish pole on a zebco 888 metal reel that was 10 minutes of adreline rush my vote flatheads. also by the way in the gmr shovelheads are the top of the food chain besides the smallmouth, suageye, channel and carp fisherman is number brute in the gmr. rick

16. Redneck1

Redneck1 Guest

For me as far as eating goes it's not even close. The flathead hands down is the best fish I've eaten, and the bigger they get the better they get.

17. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    CPR! CPR! CPR! CPR! CPR! CPR! CPR! CPR! CPR! CPR!

18. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Come on Steve; you really didn't expect any different from a name like Redneck did you.

19. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I wish I could say I didn't see this comin'.

20. Redneck1

Redneck1 Guest

This is the United States of America. We are free to make our own choices. If you want to CPR your fish more power to ya, but I'm gonna Catch, Clean, and Eat (CCE) my fish. In Ok. there's no max size limit on catfish so I don't give a Tinker's darn what you or anyone else thinks about my decision. That's all I'm gonna write on this subject. Good luck with your crusade.